Home

Creating a (Beta) Server (works with Full Version too!)

Nobodymrb

And how'd you get to download the dedicated server code? ;)

I got it from pandemic.

However LucasArts/Pandemic setup the beta test in the first place. Before we started using batch files, how did they setup the servers for people to start joining? That's what I mean. Or did they just hand them out to random people and say "run a server for us"? I doubt that!

Pandemic, GameSpy and Lucasarts set them up i believe.

I imagine they'd have their own servers, and they could always pick groups (like your's) to do so. I just wondered if you were specifically picked or you just "got one" some other way. ;)

That actually sounds like it could be the entire pc SWBF community (there's barely a hundred people on at any given time spread out over 26 servers). Kudos!

um, other games? i didn't mean that all 650 played SWBF. sorry if ya'll took it that way.

PS: ASE only shows 69 beta testers on right now, on six servers... four in the US and two in Germany. That can't be right?? Though I see you in your own private server right now! ;)

I might have been. or you could have made that up. it does not matter.

there are lots more servers, that is why i stopped using ASE, it nevers shows all the servers.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pandemic, GameSpy and Lucasarts set them up i believe.

That's what I figured, but from the way you were talking I thought maybe they just contacted some fans and got them to do it "on the cheap" so to speak! I mean you're not getting paid for this are you? ;)

um, other games? i didn't mean that all 650 played SWBF. sorry if ya'll took it that way.

Ooooh kay. You aroused my curiosity that there was this hidden SWBF community going on all this time under my nose! Bummer. :p

I might have been. or you could have made that up. it does not matter.

there are lots more servers, that is why i stopped using ASE, it nevers shows all the servers.

Well in my experience it usually did show all the servers. I was just too lazy to grab a screenshot. But that it showed SWBF2 beta servers was a surprise to me, since the game support wasn't added yet. It must have such a similar protocol to SWBF1, that ASE mistakes it for a "mod" or alternate version of the game. ;)

Actually if there are 26 servers that would seem about right, and that's about the same number of servers that there ever were for SWBF1. Sad that a beta test for this game could be greater than that of the full game (though admittedly it a year (?) old already).

Qtracker is good, but it hasn't added support for the beta yet (Ron probably won't get around to it until the full version anyway).

Well anyway, I'll do what I can to help test by offering a server when my computer's up. I just don't have much time to play due to exams. ;P

Good luck!

That's what I figured, but from the way you were talking I thought maybe they just contacted some fans and got them to do it "on the cheap" so to speak! I mean you're not getting paid for this are you? ;)

i wish we were geting paid for it!

the servers that we are running run off the same machine that we already rent.

Good luck!

Thanks mate.

you should join our clan. seriously, take this as an invitation.

A batch file runs through DOS. (At least it used to, now its some type of emulated DOS)

Put the following lines into the batch file, but make sure to read my entire post first:

line 1) [c]:\

line 2) cd "[game directory]"

line 3) BattlefrontIIEngBeta.exe [game options]

[c] = your drive letter where you installed the game (default = C)

[game directory] = main installed folder

[game options] = server options (/win /norender /nosound ...)

Don't forget to include the two " in line 2.

Do not use any [ or ]. They are there to show where you need to add your info.

Do not have 'line #)' in the file.

Line 1 moves the command window to the correct hard drive partition.

Line 2 moves into the battlefront folder where you installed the game.

Line 3 runs the game and passes in your server settings.

Ok sry but I'm not good at things like this, could you just give me the text for the batch file for the following format:

My BF2 Beta folder is located in: C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront II Beta

Dedicated server off, Username [sBF]DannBoeing, Server name [sBF]DannBoeing, 50 player slots, Heros available immediately and randomly among players, an unlimited amount of use for heros, have up to 5 jedi at once per team (I'm not sure if thats possible or not), Difficulty 2, no password, teams are player select, resolution 1280 by 1024, friendly fire is off, all maps avaible in all modes multiple times, with a 200 to 200 counter.

If you could give me the text of this batch file I would really appreciate it and it would be a lot easier for me on my part, I'm horrible with programming and stuff like this.

i got it heres my server cfg i like it dont remeber how to use admin stuffs but its cool

all this is saved in a .bat took me a while to figure it out lol thanks for the explanation

"C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront II Beta\GameData\BattlefrontIIEngBeta.exe" /win /norender /nosound /nomovies /autonet dedicated /resolution 320 240 /gamename Haha /adminpw blah /tps 30 /playerlimit 8 /playercount 1 /noteamdamage /difficulty 2 /throttle 256 /heroes 1 /hrunlock 3 /hrunlockvalue 2 /hrplayer 1 /hrteam 3 /hrrespawnvalue 0 /hrrespawn 0 /pregametime 5 /bots 15 /ai /nostartupmusic /nointro /ShowAllServers /sideselect /nowait /ShowAllSessions tan1c_con 200 200 tan1g_con 200 200 uta1c_con 200 200

Here's the contents of one of my batch files as a template you can use:

Note, the parts in < >'s must be filled in by you with your info or the file will be useless! Don't leave any < >'s in the final file of course. ;)

Save it in a file with the extension .bat and put the file into the directory with your SWBF2 exe. You can create a shortcut to it to put on your desktop too for your convenience!

Stuff in bold may be altered for your convenience, but those are probably good values to use.

"<Location of your SWBF2 Exe file>" /nointro /win /norender /autonet dedicated /resolution 320 240 /nosound /throttle 256 /gamename <name of your server, no spaces!> /playerlimit 4 /noaim /adminpw <your admin password, you still need to log in of course!> /playercount 0 /noteamdamage /sideselect /bots 4 /difficulty 3 /spawn 3 tan1g_con 200 200 uta1g_con 200 200 tan1c_con 200 200 uta1c_con 200 200 uta1g_1flag 200 200 tan1c_1flag 200 200 spa1g_ass 200 200 spa1g_1flag 200 200

My exe file location is: "C:\games\swbf2beta\GameData\BattlefrontIIEngBeta.exe" but your's will be different. I think the default is like C:\Program Files\Lucas Arts\something something along those lines. So find your's and type it in exactly.

You can put the maps in whatever order you want. Those I listed above are all the map combinations I know that work. You can also adjust the number of forces each side has on each map if you wish. There are of course many other options, but the above is what I use.

1) Run the batch file. It should spawn another window for Star Wars Battlefront II Beta. You may then close the batch file DOS box window.

2) Fire up Star Wars Battlefront II beta.

3) Go to Multiplayer and refresh the Internet list, locating your server by name.

4) Join your own server. Then join a team or spectate.

5) Go to the public chat (make sure you type CAREFULLY AND SLOWLY!).

6) Type in:

/ADMIN /LOGIN <your admin password you set in the file above!>

It should say you were logged in (in red). If not, repeat the step until you are logged in. If you type it wrong, you'll broadcast your password to everyone in the game, so be careful!

Once you're logged in, the sky's the limit! The server is your's!

Now if you want your server NON-Dedicated, leave off the option in the batch file above. The resolution doesn't need to be set in the file either if it's not dedicated... so delete that line with the 320 business. And then just set your own custom resolution in the game's normal setup options.

If you want to run a game alone, either put a password on it:

\password <your password here, note this is NOT your admin password!>

Or set it to a lan game, using \lan

Good luck!

As for the hero commands, you'll have to play around with these until you locate the info you want, unless someone else is willing to post for you what they all do exactly (I'm fairly satisfied with whatever the defaults are):

\heroes (on by default, 0 to turn off completely I believe)

Here's the ones to play with:

\herorespawn # (amount of seconds it takes to respawn when you choose a hero?)

\herorespawnval # (how is this different from above?)

\heroteam # (probably the number of heroes simultaneously on per team)

\herounlock # (probably how many kills you need to unlock a hero)

\herounlockval # (different from above?)

\heroplayer # (perhaps the total number of heroes allowed in a match at once?)

Other potentially useful stuff:

\autoteam 0 (this is the default, you can choose your team)

Your player name I believe depends on your Gamespy account name.

I'm not sure about changing your own name in-game, that's something I've

never tried. But you can set any name for your server.

Note that some values show up differently in ASE (All-Seeing Eye and other server browser programs) vs. ingame. For example ASE lists "aidifficulty" but in the batch file it's set with \difficulty. Likewise in ASE it's "invincibility time" but \spawn in the batch setting (for respawn invulnerability time in seconds).

Could someone please answer my post?

Ok sry but I'm not good at things like this, could you just give me the text for the batch file for the following format:

My BF2 Beta folder is located in: C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront II Beta

Dedicated server off, Username [sBF]DannBoeing, Server name [sBF]DannBoeing, 50 player slots, Heros available immediately and randomly among players, an unlimited amount of use for heros, have up to 5 jedi at once per team (I'm not sure if thats possible or not), Difficulty 2, no password, teams are player select, resolution 1280 by 1024, friendly fire is off, all maps avaible in all modes multiple times, with a 200 to 200 counter.

If you could give me the text of this batch file I would really appreciate it and it would be a lot easier for me on my part, I'm horrible with programming and stuff like this.

Could someone please answer my post?

Oh I see you want us to DO IT FOR YOU. Heh. I told you HOW to do it, but you just want us to give you something to copy and paste I take it.

Well since I'm feeling like a nice guy, I'll do it for you just this once!

"C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront II Beta\GameData\BattlefrontIIEngBeta.exe" /win /resolution 1280 1024 /throttle 256 /gamename [sBF]DannBoeing /playerlimit 50 /noaim /adminpw <fill in your password here> /playercount 0 /noteamdamage /sideselect /bots 4 /difficulty 2 /spawn 3 /heroes tan1g_con 200 200 uta1g_con 200 200 tan1c_con 200 200 uta1c_con 200 200 uta1g_1flag 200 200 tan1c_1flag 200 200 spa1g_ass 200 200 spa1g_1flag 200 200

The part about heroes is only experimental, you may have to change those values, as I have not tested them myself!

There you go, there it is! Except for the heroes part, which I'm working on now. But I do suggest you learn how the values work, otherwise how will you ever admin your server? ;)

I added in the hero stuff but haven't even tested it yet, so try this (you MUST edit this to put in your password of course!)

"C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront II Beta\GameData\BattlefrontIIEngBeta.exe" /autonet listen /resolution 1280 1024 /throttle 256 /gamename [sBF]DannBoeing /playerlimit 50 /noaim /adminpw <yourpasswordhere!> /playercount 0 /noteamdamage /sideselect /bots 4 /difficulty 3 /spawn 3 /noherounlock /heroplayer /heroteam /herorespawn tan1g_con 200 200 uta1g_con 200 200 tan1c_con 200 200 uta1c_con 200 200 uta1g_1flag 200 200 tan1c_1flag 200 200 spa1g_ass 200 200 spa1g_1flag 200 200

Use the above to create your batch file! Make sure the text above is ALL ON THE SAME LINE (ie: not in paragraph form in the batch file, with word-wrap off in notepad)

Edit: Arggh! Goofed it up again, here's the real deal, at last (I hope!).

Yep, I see this has been a learning experience for me as well. Check my post again (edited it like 4 times now!). The above loads up and in fact I have your server running right now. I am just going to join it and see if I can be a hero right off the bat.

Those settings I was not sure about, so perhaps it will just be the default hero setting, since it wouldn't accept any of the values I gave it. But /noherounlock will either mean you don't have to unlock heroes, or there are NO heroes whatsoever (hopefully the former rather than the later). It may be though that they made it so you can't be a hero right off the bat unless you're playing the "Celebrity Deathmatch" mode, that isn't available in the beta... we'll see!

Well, I've tried everything I can think of off-hand. Apparently you can't change the defaults... all you can do is either have heroes as they are, or turn them off completely.

Unless there's some new command I haven't tried. I tried making up a few like the following:

/celebritydeathmatch

/celebritydm

/noherolimits

/noherolimit

/heroesunlimited

/unlimitedheroes

/unlimitedhero

/infinitehero

/infiniteheroes

...none of which seem to help. Oh well... sorry!

Guess you'll have to wait for the full version to have your dream server, unless somebody else knows how (through commands)!

So I guess just use this:

"C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront II Beta\GameData\BattlefrontIIEngBeta.exe" /autonet listen /resolution 1280 1024 /throttle 256 /gamename [sBF]DannBoeing /playerlimit 50 /noaim /adminpw <yourpasswordhere!> /playercount 0 /noteamdamage /sideselect /bots 4 /difficulty 3 /spawn 3 tan1g_con 200 200 uta1g_con 200 200 tan1c_con 200 200 uta1c_con 200 200 uta1g_1flag 200 200 tan1c_1flag 200 200 spa1g_ass 200 200 spa1g_1flag 200 200

Archived