Home

Nitpicks

Klia

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MILKMAN

I think I have found something out. Is it possible that the media made people think Boyd had died in the fire? He is the milkman and in the beggining it shows that the milkman is dead. Then Boyd backs it up by saying that's what the media wanted everyone to think...that he died in the fire.

Also I think that the interrogation of the G-men is how Boyd was interrogated about the fire.

Why would the media want to cover up the fact that Boyd was still alive, though? I don't know, when Boyd says the Milkman died in the department store fire, I always thought he meant that that part of his personality "died" (or was medicated into oblivion...whatever). And "that's what the media wants you to think" is his response to the fact that Oleander "revived" the Milkman. He knows, probably subconsciously, that the Milkman's still lurking around in there, even if his conscious mind (I guess you could call that "the media") thinks it's dead.

Why would the media want to cover up the fact that Boyd was still alive, though? I don't know, when Boyd says the Milkman died in the department store fire, I always thought he meant that that part of his personality "died" (or was medicated into oblivion...whatever). And "that's what the media wants you to think" is his response to the fact that Oleander "revived" the Milkman. He knows, probably subconsciously, that the Milkman's still lurking around in there, even if his conscious mind (I guess you could call that "the media") thinks it's dead.

I didn't word it all right. But yeah it was somewhere along those lines.

But adding on to what you said. When you are with the Den Mother the milkman is locked under a plane glass. What I think that symoblized is his days in the asylum how he needed to be protected from the world. Then when he awoke it was when Oleander hypnotized him.

I need to work on my essay more

Wow... that just rules... I mean I understand how he became crazy but taking it apart like that really helped it make sense...

Wow... that just rules... I mean I understand how he became crazy but taking it apart like that really helped it make sense...

Things like this make me keep on going back into the game. Boyd has so many metaphors for his life.

• 2 weeks later...

Since this new question isn't big enough to start a new thread, I'd like to post something I've been thinking about for a while.

I was typing up a report for english class, and Psychonauts was the subject. I used some of the memory vault images to describe how it could explain a character without words, and when I came across Boyd's (the scene where his boss is firing him) I saw, for the first time, that he was kind of shaking his hands in a 'no' fashion. This got me thinking. Why would Boyd be fired, when he was obviously doing his job well? And apparently, he's been fired more than once. So, I thunked of a theory using all the quotes and such he says/does. Was he perhaps fired because of a drug abuse issue? He says a lot of strange quotes about drugs when he's rambling in front of Thorney Towers.

"You know my house is clean, Boss. Right?"

And of course-

"Spontaneous combustion! From the (somethingmaybe) LSD tests!"

Several drug jokes are made around him and crap like that, and he's constantly talking about his hooch. Which counts as a drug, so shup. What do you think?

Since this new question isn't big enough to start a new thread, I'd like to post something I've been thinking about for a while.

I was typing up a report for english class, and Psychonauts was the subject. I used some of the memory vault images to describe how it could explain a character without words, and when I came across Boyd's (the scene where his boss is firing him) I saw, for the first time, that he was kind of shaking his hands in a 'no' fashion. This got me thinking. Why would Boyd be fired, when he was obviously doing his job well? And apparently, he's been fired more than once. So, I thunked of a theory using all the quotes and such he says/does. Was he perhaps fired because of a drug abuse issue? He says a lot of strange quotes about drugs when he's rambling in front of Thorney Towers.

"You know my house is clean, Boss. Right?"

And of course-

"Spontaneous combustion! From the (somethingmaybe) LSD tests!"

Several drug jokes are made around him and crap like that, and he's constantly talking about his hooch. Which counts as a drug, so shup. What do you think?

I laughed when I first read this. However as I went on I was like "You know..that does bring up a good point."

I just took it to assume however that since he is so paranoid he got kicked out. All we saw was how much he was enjoying his job, and we have to remember that this is only his point of view. His boss probably saw it differently. He even painted his boss to be a squinty, pupiless guy.

I had this debate before. Why would they fire Boyd if he did his job? Because his take on what getting a job is different from what the norm's doing a job is.

However this is just one theory of mine. He could have been doing his job well but his boss needed to make some cutbacks...or maybe you do have something with the drugs.

Only the people who made this game know.

I think the drug addiction theory is probable, even though this may look like a kids game we of course know it is not. Of course, drug jokes are funny sometimes, especially when the true answer is false. IE: "Raz thinks he's a better psychonaut than we psychonaut-trainees, he's on something." Something akin to that.

Of course, as you said, he could be on drugs, and maybe not just the prescribed ones but other kinds because his mind thinks that if one drug gets one kind of reaction from his brain, maybe a different kind will give him a more sane approach. Or something?

Or am I missing it completely? I really didn't want to read through all six pages of this thread, but I got to page three. :/

I think the drug addiction theory is probable, even though this may look like a kids game we of course know it is not. Of course, drug jokes are funny sometimes, especially when the true answer is false. IE: "Raz thinks he's a better psychonaut than we psychonaut-trainees, he's on something." Something akin to that.

Of course, as you said, he could be on drugs, and maybe not just the prescribed ones but other kinds because his mind thinks that if one drug gets one kind of reaction from his brain, maybe a different kind will give him a more sane approach. Or something?

Or am I missing it completely? I really didn't want to read through all six pages of this thread, but I got to page three. :/

I gathered this theory from his comments in front of the asylum. He talks about LSD, a drug that changes someones personality and makes them jumpy and stuff. Of course, he could've ALWAYS been jumpy and the gov thought he was on drugs.

Always open for interpretation, I suppose.

The above comments were the only drug references.

It's very hard for me to imagine Boyd taking illegal drugs like cocaine or anything like that. It just doesn't fit into the world of Psychonauts for me. However if it was a stab at such things like Prozac then I can take it.

Still, I have a very hard time imagining him taking drugs. To me he always seemed to have this psychotic edge to him. Take for example burning down the store part. He became so desperate when he was fired that he burned down the store but when he went into the asylum it seemed to me that he had no clue why he was there. I think subconciously he knew but he was trying to convice himself he wasn't and he was blaming it on others, that there was something more intricate behind the act that someone had made him burn down the store.

The above comments were the only drug references.

It's very hard for me to imagine Boyd taking illegal drugs like cocaine or anything like that. It just doesn't fit into the world of Psychonauts for me. However if it was a stab at such things like Prozac then I can take it.

Still, I have a very hard time imagining him taking drugs. To me he always seemed to have this psychotic edge to him. Take for example burning down the store part. He became so desperate when he was fired that he burned down the store but when he went into the asylum it seemed to me that he had no clue why he was there. I think subconciously he knew but he was trying to convice himself he wasn't and he was blaming it on others, that there was something more intricate behind the act that someone had made him burn down the store.

I really only meant alcohol. Which is pretty easy to see, for me.

But I meant the 'drug thing'... was like... his job issues would be something like 'accused of smoking the hippy salad, but not really doing it' type thing.

Cocaine? Boyd? Psychonauts? Pssht. I couldn't see actual illegal drugs in this game if I tried. Except poison, but that doesn't count right now.

I really only meant alcohol. Which is pretty easy to see, for me.

But I meant the 'drug thing'... was like... his job issues would be something like 'accused of smoking the hippy salad, but not really doing it' type thing.

Cocaine? Boyd? Psychonauts? Pssht. I couldn't see actual illegal drugs in this game if I tried. Except poison, but that doesn't count right now.

Not even alcohol. I can see him being prescribed to Prozac or Zoloft. I mean everybody's on them right now.

The "Clean" thing Boyd says never made me think of drugs. I always thought that he was conspiracing against his boss or something. Or...I don't really know.

Archived