Home

Tales of the third age

"This?" he asked and took his translation into his hands. "It's just a short poem that Gandalf gave me to translate" he explained, all in sindarin, and smiled, handing it over to her. "I never knew you culd speak the grey tongue(The language of the grey elves/Sindarin)" he said, still in sindarin, and smiled, tilting his head a bit as he watched her quietly. The poem was written in common tongue and it read:

"All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,

A light from the shadows shall spring;

Renewed shall be blade that was broken,

The crownless again shall be king"

((Yes, it's the riddle of strider. I just pulled something off the internet))

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I suppose it could be any broken sword," Emara said, sounding far from convinced.

-----------------------

Tanos sighed. "Alright. Fine. You'll be left alone."

He went back to Ever and whispered to his friend, "I don't know..."

"You're just trying to be friendly to a man who doesn't want friends," Ever shrugged. "Leave him be. If he wants anything more than to destroy orcs, he'll come to you."

He chuckled and shook his head. "I mean the time when I still lived in Mirkwood and it was your first travel with the dunedain. You were... 16, If memory serves me well" he said and smiled. "I will never forget the amazed look on your face of all the lights, elven art and elves. Especially when you got to where the noldor of Mirkwood lived" he said and smiled. "Your pretty little eyes looking around, your half-open mouth with red lips on a slightly tanned skin and the beautiful dress you were wearing..." he said in sindarin, in the end mostly talking to himself, like reliving the moment

"You have changed a lot, believe it or not" he said and smiled. "I didn't actually know ho you were when I arrived to Rivendell before you revealed yourself s Tanos' sister" he said and shook his head. He leaned closer and looke into her eyes quietly for a moment. "I hope you do not mind me stealing a kiss" he said before smiling and giving her a kiss that was not long but neither short. After it, he leaned back and smiled, looking at her quietly. He could've sworn that he felt a pair of angry eyes on him when he kissed Emara, and now he tried to search for Tanos with his eyes to make sure he wasn't looking at them

Ilenal smiled at Emara and nodded. "For what I know, I might find Tanos' knife in my chest when I wake up" he said and looked at the ground and then again towards where thecave entrance were. By now the archers had covered the entrance with elven cloth and so they were pretty much safe of trolls coming by during the night. The elf's eyes turned about, watching the darkness that was pierced by four comapfires and then there was the one Ilenal was keeping up in the back of the cave. "I do not know what Tanos will do, and I could've sworn I felt his eyes watching us..."

"You never know about people like Tanos... They can just snap like a poorly made bow" he said, laughting slightly himself. He kept his eyes now on Emara, even if he was freaking out somewhere inside his head that someone would chop hi head off... He had that feeling that somebody would chop his head off. Of course that wouldn't happen for a long time, hopefully speaking, and he tried to relax slowly as he watched Emara's smooth movements, however small they were. He was amazed as he had seen many women, even royal women, in his long life and she was just completely different than anyone else

"Something is?" he asked, obviously lying. He looked into her eyes and smiled slightly. She had learned much in her few years of life... "I don't know what's bothering me.. There's just this feeling that something evil and hideous is herewih us, even if there is nothing here. Maybe it's that I haven't slept in ages before yesterday" he said and took a deep breath, placing his look on the cave floor. His hand went throught his hair and he sighed, looking out towards Tanos. "And for the first time in two thousand years I have something to fear about in battl, and that is that I might lose you even before I can start to know you" he said and looked once again at her

"Maybe it's hitting you hard because for the first time in 2000 years, you actually feel the need to care about someone," Emara said quietly. "But there's something more... you fear... being taken from me."

Tanos knew Emara was old enough to make her own decisions, but seeing her whispering with Ilenal was almost more than he could take. "He's an Elf, for pity's sake..." he murmured. "When his time comes, he'll have to leave her."

"She knows that path is open to him," Ever answered, growing annoyed at his friend's consistent worrying. "So you stop worrying. She knows what could happen and she's willing to face that. Let it rest, Tanos."

Tanos said nothing.

The elf raised an eyebrow at her words and was quiet for a moment, having nothing to say right then. He finally sighed and looked at her with a warm smile. "Maybe I fear that you do not feel the same way" he said in quenya, not wanting her to know what he just said, but it wouldn't surprise him if she knew even quenya. Emara was a mysterious but lovely woman and because of Ilenal's absence rom around her, he didn't know if she had learned all the elven tongues or just sindarin or what hse had done in all these years

Emara smiled slightly at the change of language. Though Tanos had not seen fit to learn all the Elven languages, Emara had wanted to... and had succeeded.

"I am just getting to know you," she answered in the same language. "I don't want to loose you before..." she trailed off into the language of Rohan... "Before I can truly know you."

Tanos caught the last of her words and his eyes narrowed, but he did nothing.

"You do know that a ship is waiting for me in Grey Havens and I can leave Middle-Earth anytime I'd like to and once again meet my family in Valinor" he aid, continuing with his national tongue, quenya, the language of the noldor. He suddenly gave a hug smile as he remembered his sister. "You've met my sister. She was the high priestess in Lorien at a time... Now she has gone with the grey ship" he looked at her and shook hsi head slightly. He began to sing softly, a few voices joining in from the archer group and so the noldor sang in the cave while darkness fell.

"Telpina lindë nenilion

rilma elellion unótimë

'Ela!'

- lindalessë ontaina ná lambelwa

ilúmë órenwar cendar Númenna.

Alass' ar alma Eldamarwa

ataltanë nu falmar nár ar serceva.

Ninquë huinessë Helcaraxeva

antoryanelwë órengwar,

avamarnë ar etyë.

Man Heceldamar nu huine anga-carmo,

man ninqua ar firima rilmassë Silmarillion,

erya estel elwa vasta yo Hildor.

Ulyaina sercë alafiryar ar firyaiva

sirir minë sirenen unótimë yénilíva.

Silmarilli, alcar ar... úcarmë;

sára ná sina ohta – nangwë sin haira;

ar Eär ata tulta"

((Translation))

"The fairer people will continue to leave until there are none left here to be found," Emara said quietly when the song had finished. "Who will then turn the hearts of men away from greed?"

She sighed thoughtfully. "Men will turn on men. Friends will become enemies. Families will be torn apart. Lives will be broken. All shall fall to darkness, sorrow, and pain."

She shivered at the thought.

"Do not go to elves for council, as they will say both yes and no" he commented and smiled, placing a few new thick branches into the fire as it had started to grow weak and cold. He took his pipe and opened the small top, dropping the leaf into the fire and fillig it up again. "Have youever tried leaf? It is very soothing at times. Much better than what the men grow that cripples you eventually. This makes you stronger somehow" he said and smiled at Emara

Emara smiled. "I have never tried smoking, no." Then she laughed. "It does seem strange though for an Elf to be warning of Elvish council."

As he realized that they were now speaking a language he did not understand, Tanos decided it was time to get some rest. Ever grinned and did the same.

Archived