Home

Problem with making a turret vehicle

Botch

Hi,

I'm trying to make the turret that is in siege_hoth so you could aim with it yourself. I converted the model to a vehicle and put the maxspeed and minspeed to 0 so it stays still. I've also found the right effect files for weapons and such.

What I'm currently working on is to make it so that it aims to the direction of crosshair like it really would, like AT-ST does in up/down direction. I haven't found a way to do this for my model.

This turret should be able to go about 45 degrees up/down and 360 degrees to left/right. I've made two bones for it, one that controls the upper part (the cannon part) and a bone for the hull.

I've also tried to use the turret thingy in .veh file, but there are no tutorials for that so I don't really know how it should be done. Lambdashuttle uses the turret thingy if you don't know what I mean.

Normally when you enter lambdashuttle as the first guy to come in you're the one who controls it. The second and third guy go to turrets. Is it possible to make it so that the first one would control the turret? I've tried the "passengernum 1" command but it didn't work.

Any help would be appreciated.

The motion of the AT-ST (where you can move the mouse and the model pivots to aim) is created by the naming of one of the bones(can't remember which one--may be pelvis) one of the axes of that bone is controlled through the movement of the mouse--but it can only go in one direction--i.e. up and down or left to right, not both.

BTW-why would you want to pilot a turrent? Seems a bit cumbersome to me.

I want to do so that it can be used like in SWBF. You can go in and out and shoot with it yourself, not like it's in siege_hoth. To make it a vehicle was the best way I found to do so, because I can't code at all. :)

Hmm I'll have a look at the AT-ST model.

Ok I named the bone pelvis, but nothing happened. In this message it says:

lookPitch	This determines how far you can look up/down 
	when you are riding this vehicle. Defaults to 90 
	(directly up/down) when not used. I recommend 
	you don't use this entry. Note that this is not the 
	entire radius of view! 90 = 90 up and 90 down.
lookYaw	This determines how far you can look left or right in 
	front of the ship. Recommended: 45.

When I put these to the .veh file the only one that works is lookPitch. No matter what I put to lookYaw, I can't look to left/right. My turret is VH_WALKER, I tried other ones too but they don't work at all.

I tried the passenger turret thing, it worked and the cannon turned up or down, but it got bugged and was pointing straight down and didn't move at all after that. I'll try to configure the turret angles...

Ok looks like the correct bone name was "thoracic", I had a look at the AT-ST model and that was the bone that seemed to be in the right position for moving the head. But when I move the mouse up/down, the cannon moves to left/right. o.O How to change this?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived