Home

Would you willingly play EaW on Gamerspy?

Athanasios

Would you willingly play EaW on Gamerspy?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Would you willingly play EaW on Gamerspy?

• Yes.
    • No.

True, Heroes of the Pacific (flight sim) i played had no lag (it used Gamespy "behind the scenes") but it had all the other issues, with the most important the no chat feature at all and ofcourse with no friends list.

I'm going to say something about just the FPS world that nobody actually cares about a friends list for an FPS. So, that's not an issue. As for the chat feature, if you,re talking about in-game chat, then it's totally weird and actually the fault of the game and not Gamespy.

If you're talking about somekind of Generel Chat room, I can safely say that no FPS veteran would like to see something like that, considering the amount of...let's just call it irrelevant things that could be said while in the chat room.

Besides, nobody really buys a game so they can chat.

Well theres chatrooms in some gamespy hosted games but idiotic people spam the heck out of those. Ever go on one? People swear at each other like mad :| This maybe obvious but just wanted to point out the obvious. Anywho I chosed Direct IP since that reduces Tkers and those people who use artillery to bombard bases (Battlegrounds) and idiots in joining.

edit: Tkers as in those people who do anything to kill you even with those battleground artillery and bombers to destroy your buildings.

What are team killers exactly?

Message from Popcorn2008 - Please use complete sentences when your posting, not just one or two word posts. It helps to add to the discussion. Thank You! Even adding a few words to make one sentence helps as you see above.

I'm going to say something about just the FPS world that nobody actually cares about a friends list for an FPS. So, that's not an issue. As for the chat feature, if you,re talking about in-game chat, then it's totally weird and actually the fault of the game and not Gamespy.

If you're talking about somekind of Generel Chat room, I can safely say that no FPS veteran would like to see something like that, considering the amount of...let's just call it irrelevant things that could be said while in the chat room.

Oh man, i totally disagree horizontically,vertically,diagonically and generally speaking on all possible axes with you on all your above points :). Let me pull up my Patriots missiles and try to take them down :twogun: .

about just the FPS world that nobody actually cares about a friends list for an FPS. So, that's not an issue.

Turning the point on the other hand, so, we don't need chat rooms for FPS; ppl just log in to play, nothing more. In-game chat is enough.

But i think frienldly speaking, making some joke before the match and while waiting the match for ppl to fill (even if players can log while game starts) and generally creating a friendly atmosphere before the game is always a good thing for everyone to have fun.

In a more strick basis, many clan members "chat" (discuss is the correct) in a locked game/chat room before and after a training/match is finished. This ofcourse can be also done in the IRC rooms most clans have, but then we fall in the "opening 50 processes" matter mentioned above.

And after all, why give pc games magazines' prey for bad comments on the game when not needed ("a good before match chat room option would be also a plus...")?

edit (in case the relation frendlist <-> chatrooms wasn't obvious): Friendlists on all categories are used to form up these chatrooms, form up game matches/trainings with ppl you want and send easily private messages to the players you want when they're online etc. If the game has 300ppl in the general chat area, i don't want to search 2 hours to find 5 friends....

As for the chat feature, if you,re talking about in-game chat, then it's totally weird and actually the fault of the game and not Gamespy.

Both the game and Gamespy offered no chat option. Only the game offered chat through mic [...].

True, judging from MSN Zone too, general chatrooms (outside private chatrooms and game rooms) are filled with irrelevant things by a 95% and can be hacked (lagging the whole place due to continuous irrelevant messaging). Yet, it can be used for challenging people unless private messaging is not supported.

Heh, indeed, there are instant messengers and VoIP programs for this, but this is a very general outcome; if you refer to in-game room chat, then we cleared this; same for private chat-rooms; same for the general chatroom. I can't think of any other chat area.

As far as the Veterans you mention is concerned, of any game category, these are mainly devided in to categories: (1) those that play perfectly and hunt the 1st place of ladders and -global- rankings and (2) those that play perfectly but have as main target the fun, not the points. Personally, i try to avoid the first category who are the type of "get in the game room - say a dead <hi> - smash you within seconds - letting you a note <plz, report your loss>". Not only i don't enjoy such a game (especially when we talk about RTS where a rush may end the game within 10mins, if you cannot block it - and normally if you block it then you rush and game's over for the enemy), but i just don't like this "cold" atmosphere...

All in all, i think that most players like to communicate with each other; it's something physical, noone plays like a robot (or at least controls such a behaviour).

You misunderstood me from A to Z. I'm talking mainly about FPS games, where these general chatrooms are pretty unwanted, considering the rather low IQ of the majority of players.

In terms of Online FPS, PC wise, I rarely see any friends list implemented into the game itself. There has to be a relevent reason for this. If there was a good potential for such integrated programs, I'm sure we would see it more.

Again, FPS here. In FPS, people just jump in there, log in, play, log out.

For other types of games, that's very different.

Most of your arguments have no relevence to what I said about online FPS. In your post, you mentioned that Gamespy's support for FPS was lacking, which isn't true.

I did have in mind that you were referring to FPS, but i wanted to generalise the points and not stick to a category. If you check my message under popcorn's one, i said that "FPS demand more bandwidth than RTS and they should lag, not the RTS (assuming that both categories have a well-programmed code for multiplayer) but i guess GameSpy is "again the odds"", which doesn't mean that FPS lag in Gamespy but they lack in the matter of chatting support. Personally i don't play FPS, but flight sims are close to them and as i said they have no lag; RTS have, as i mentioned in the post.

And as i said in the last msg, every player on any game, especially clan members, want to communicate, not just mechanically log in-out and play. Maybe your experiences for the FPS communities refer to the players that play for their fun from time to time and they're not grouped in clans. This kind of people, indeed, has no reason to talk with others. Things get even worse at FFA rooms.

Yet, as i said, communication applies to all categories, at least from what i have seen so far.

I see where you both are coming from on this, and you both have good points (or I'm misinterpreting you both). From what I understand about games that run Arcade in the background, using BF2 (an FPS) as an example, there are some pretty bad lag problems on it but that is also due to the game itself. The lack of friends on this game is a huge disappointment to me, this is because it has such a high focus on teamwork and when you get a group of really good people together it would be nice to be able to play with them again. This is however the only FPS where I find the lack of a friends list to be a hindrance to game play. When I play CS, DoD, or CoD, I feel I have no need for a friend list or general chat. On the other hand, In EVERY game that focuses on strategy or working with other people as one of its main elements, friend lists and chat rooms are vital! This pretty much includes all MMO's and RTS's with the exceptions of a few others (BF2). Well that’s how I see it anyway, but then, I could be misunderstanding the whole thing. :)

Archived