Home

Saber system suggestions

JRHockney*

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As for blocking kicks, I think we're going to have to wait until after the next release. I'm kind of overloaded with getting the knockdown code cleaned up in time.

No problem, don't kill yourself working on this. I just had a lecture in my java class about setting unrealistic software development schedules and how things always take longer than you expect. Amazing job on getting even this much done.

Sad story of the day: I noticed today that may CDR/DVD drive on my laptop wasn't working, so I took it in to the manufactorer (PCclub) only to find out that PCclub has shutdown all their Colorado stores!! I ended up having to drop a $100 on a new external CDR/DVD drive today just because its cheaper than geting it fixed by someone else! That's what I get for going with a less known computer brand! LOL :p

Strongbad is cool . Can't wait for the new version of OJP, you're awesome Razorace. Wish I could support with as many ideas as JRHockney but I don't think I could write so many specificly without getting way too confusing and unbeneficial/unusuable.

Anyway thanks again for your work, I greatly appreciate it and look forward to future releases, maybe I could catch a game with JRHockney or something too :p.

...Too excited to sleep

Your feedback is alway welcome, I'm sure. It's all about reading the Razor's responses and thinking in line with how he pictures this system as well as what would be cool for it. I'm also a very visual person and I probably spend to much time visualizing things as it is. Heck, even if your ideas don't get in as much, you can support this mod greatly by telling people about it. If you still ever play base, you can tell people about it on base servers as well. This mod's FFA would be a great alternative to base FFA, it's just a matter of convincing individual players to play or even entire clans to use this new saber system for their servers (as far as convincing clans is concerned, the hard part is convincing the more dogmatic members who are too use to the old base "jump around constantly" saber system to learn something new).

Anyways, yeah I'd love to catch a game with you. Maybe we could make use of that scheduling thread to meet up or something. Maybe I'll post my availability there.

I've already told several of my friends about the mod and they like it :). Well one of them might not count as he played earlier versions with me before but did not like the slowness, still i convinced him to try the new version 0.0.5 and he loved it. Just wish I knew more people with JKA :o.

I think OJP is the best dueling mod ever, and its still pretty early in developement if I'm not mistaken, but yeah mostly people want fast paced running around with force speed and shooting things. Me personally? Even in DF2 : JK I was not interested in that type of gameplay, Jedi Oasis (think that was it, favorite gunner/ffa map) wasn't that great, I prefered playing Battleground Jedi jumping across and swinging with mouse2 hehe. Later on I enjoyed the SBX mod greatly with lots of awesome interactive maps, some of them a bit wacky (Jedi Highschool, Ceasars Palace). Soo anyway, yeaah I'm really excited right now, i keep refreshing the page :p.

Soo anyway, yeaah I'm really excited right now, i keep refreshing the page :p.[\QUOTE]

Yeah me too. :drool1: And yes your feedback is always welcome. The more ideas posted here the more we have to think with.

Razor, I haven't heard from the Cloud guy yet sadly, but if you haven't finished writing a description yet, you might want to post a link in it to that mod saying that it sounds good when used with this system or something like that.

Ah, don't worry about it. Just give feedback when you feel like it.

FYI, I just finished the code, packaging up the release right now.

Hooray!!!

As always, I'll post the update info on the MB2 site after I review it. I'll try to make a miniture sufficiant saber system manual in my post there this time as well so people arent at a total loss who want to just play and not read the readmes.

you probably didn't install the mod correctly. Rememeber that all you have to do is unzip it to the jka folder and it will automatically place it in the right places. Also, run everything from the included .bat file. I'll PM you my contact info so you can IM me if you continue to have problems.

Just played some 0.0.7 and I'm VERY impressed the mod feels so different than 0.0.6 its so FUN. I played someone who didn't know how to parry/fake and he kept dying within seconds, I kept parrying and knocking him down or disarming him, its truely great. The mod is just awesome, wow I love it. Thanks again Razorace, I'll probably play alot more tomorrow as for now I'm very tired.

I want to test some things tomorrow with some other friends :) so I better get to bed cause I don't wanna wake up really late.

So after playing around against people with dual sabers/double I've got to say that they seem a bit overpowered at the moment. For example since they get no fake cost penalty they keep using them and chaining fakes which makes them extremely dangerous since they got two sabers swinging. But the thing is even if you're EXTREMELY careful you're going to get hit eventually. To me the problem is either their FP isnt draining fast enough and keeps them in a flurry or their fakes hit too hard. Why? Eventually I get hit and lose all 4 bars due to the swings being fast and two lightsabers, when that happens I get stunned and I'm usually at either 5 DP after or dead, in which case I either run away as best as I can or die, cause if i hit his saber he's going to stun me again.

Pretty much the problem is that when I get stunned its very deadly against a dual wielded, they can one hit kill me due to their huge DP drain from two sabers. But if I were to stun them it would take a few more to kill them, even if I swung into them with a fake it wouldnt be enough. Same thing for knocking down, the best i can do after I knock a dual wielder down is stay away while he gets up, but if I had got knocked down he would flurry into me and cut me forcing me into losing DP points or even dying sometimes as i kicked forward.

I'm not sure if anyone else sees this too or if it is just me but I've felt that was the problem. Also when someone has saber throw and they get their saber knocked out (disarmed) and they pull it back with the force and if i'm behind and it goes through me the saber will hit me and cause major dodge damage (like two bars) as if it was thrown. I don't know if thats intentional but its very hard to dodge as when someone is disarmed you're usually trying to cut them down and they're backing up trying to pull their saber back.

*Edit* Oh yeah is there a command to make it so that saberlocking is possible in FFA outside of a private duel. I remember razorace saying that it had happened in FFA but I'm not sure if he just meant private duels (k) or regular FFA.

The dual blades shouldn't have an impact on the amount of DP each attack swing does since the first blade that impacts causes the sabers to go into a bounce

I'll check out the saber throw return issue. It should only be costing standard saber block DP to block. Let me know if you see it in the future.

As for the saberlocks, there's no cvar other than the normal allowsaberlock cvar. I might have enabled saber locks in FFA but I haven't seen it happen outside of duel/powerduel yet. I just haven't messed with it much yet. :)

Ah I see. Well for some reason I have an extremely hard time dealing with dual sabers now, maybe i'm not parrying right or something. I try to negate the chaining/faking by swinging into the saber, infact thats how i thought you parried but it seems to have changed. Since you seemingly parry by doing nothing in a certain direction or something. I'd try to parry more but I've been hit so hard by dual sabers that its made me afraid of getting hit and autoblocking. As for a disarmed saber damaging cause it gets pulled back (unignited while this happens) I'm pretty sure it happens frequently, and only if the saber is behind me and he actually pulls it through me when retrieving it.

Hrmm ah well, I'm going to try parrying more if I can, cause frequentlys trying to block his saber while swinging mine into it seems to not work too long. Maybe I just get too close and get my dp torn up :X.

I agree that dual and staff need a little more balancing, but I do have a few suggestion on how to fight them the way they are now.

1. use alot of basic fakes by just tapping the attack button for attack and even to block. Remember that attack and fakes can double as blocking.

2. Let them swing alot because their swings cost 2 FP.

3. Kick them alot especially when they get parried because it drains their FP. Doing the formerly just yellow arial special to get behind them and kick them is very effective as well.

I can't wait to get off work and fight somemore!!! hehe.

Tapela,

I agree with much of your assessments regarding how tough dual/saberstaff duelists are, and I'm speaking only from the perspective of facing bots.

Man, I am SO tempted to hop online and try OJP E out with some real people. But to be honest, I'm a bit worried of getting "hooked" to it like I did to Infiltration.

Do you guys use TeamSpeak? I used that a lot in Infiltration, and I couldn't imagine how much fun (and irresistable) it'd be to play OJP E online with TeamSpeak enabled.

Ahhh, what to do, what to do?

Kyle

Feb. 18, 2006

:)

so blocking is auto and parry all you gotta do is walk the direction that there swinging on.....

do you need to have max saber blocking for it to work well?

cause against bots it parry doesnt seem to work

fakeing is attack1 and attack2 and a direction in the middle of a swing or letting go of attack midswing.

i tryed out power duel with some bots and it was the shortest set of saber fights i ever saw, lasting mere seconds the person on there own was continualy dominated no mattter if they had single doublesided or 2 sabers they were very dead very quick

special attacks should not be dodgable by auto dodgeing cause not only do they leave th user wide open but they also use more Fp from what i see plus most of them you can see coming from a mile away so you can get out of the way.

also how do you make it more dicey as in bots in peices

other then that can't wait to play again next friday on meatgrinder

one other thing team speak = good idea

Yep, but remember that the fwd/back is "reversed". IE, you need to move backwards to block up and forwards to block down.

And, no, your saber defense level has nothing to do with your parrying/blocking ability.

Special moves already do 2x DP damage to players that were able to block the attack so I don't think that disabling auto-dodge is nessicary.

also how do you make it more dicey as in bots in peices

Wha?

other then that can't wait to play again next friday on meatgrinder

Actually I think I'm going to leave the server on Enhanced for saturday as well. I'll post the news right now. :)

Archived