Home

Saber system suggestions

JRHockney*

Or maybe have successful parries regen DP/FP when the player is fatigued?

Doh! Why didn't I think of that!! LOL

I think it's an interesting concept as well and probably the best conversion idea for Rage so far. Maybe Rage should just boost DP/FP at any time in exchange for health or some other disadvantage? I remember in the past that I felt that it should reduce your score each time you use it but that might not work.

I can't decide on this one. I'll let lightofdarkness discuss this since it was his idea. I do think there should be something else besides health that it drains though.

I've been rethinking my original more powerful but risky turning swing idea. The fact is, the turning move is really ugly in the regular combat when it gets hit while turning without killing the person and I think it should be avoided as much as possible unless purposely done. I was originally worried that it would be too hard to avoid in this fast paced combat, but I think if players learn to anticipate what situations they will be done in, turning swings can be avoided until needed.

However, because this is very hard to learn, I think the penalties for getting hit when turning should not be very severe. Maybe only a little more DP damage than normal and the turning animation gets terminated. The Hitting you opponent with the turning swing should do only a little more DP damage but not cause stuns. Tavion, Blue, and maybe desanns style will have both getting hit penalties and hitting benefits less than the other styles. Maybe eventually, two turning swings colliding could lock like the fakes eventually will.

Hopefully, this will help stop players from unrealistically getting hit in the back and surviving it too often. I also think it will kill swing spamming and add more disipline to this system.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sabers bust down the walls of Siege Korriban in two fast swings in Enhanced. Just FYI.

Pwned! :)

Err, that does change the dynamic of Korriban, but the real question is if we should do anything about it.

Doh! Why didn't I think of that!! LOL
I assume that means that you think that concept is a good idea? :)

turning move stuff

I assume you're referring to your earlier suggestion about making spin moves followed by an attack swing do more DP damage?

I assume that means that you think that concept is a good idea?

Yes

I assume you're referring to your earlier suggestion about making spin moves followed by an attack swing do more DP damage?

And also yes, but modified for the reasons stated above. Doing constant turning strikes in this system drives me insane especially when we get hit in the back while doing them and just brush them off as if we weren't just hit in the back with a lightsaber!! So, I think we should be punished a bit for doing them and learn how to control them. Maybe when players start getting really good at controling turning swings we can increase the DP damage given and received when hit doing it, but at first it should be mild (and very very mild for the faster styles). I wouldnt be against making it cause a stun if the defender doesnt use the proper parry direction though, but if he does, it should still do DP damage to the defender.

And like I said before, the fact that players would now have to becareful about doing turning swings they would end up doing less "hold down attack" comboing, and I think this would prevent swing spam from becoming a problem.

NO!

Don't give spin moves any bonuses, because you're all forgetting something...

The cheat that is yawspin, where after certain swing moves (I assume you mean stuff like a red swing in which you turn before delivering the attack) can be executed multiple times in one attack by making the character spin like a top. I'm pretty sure it only counts as one swing, but has multiple hits.

NO!

Don't give spin moves any bonuses, because you're all forgetting something...

The cheat that is yawspin, where after certain swing moves (I assume you mean stuff like a red swing in which you turn before delivering the attack) can be executed multiple times in one attack by making the character spin like a top. I'm pretty sure it only counts as one swing, but has multiple hits.

I never learned how to do the Yawspin and I'm not sure it even works for OJP enhanced. If it does, I'm sure Razorace could disable it somehow. With the Yaw spin disabled, it would be easy to hit people in the back when their turning and cause them DP damage. We even discussed slowing down the turns a bit so hitting them would be even easier further back in this thread. And like I said the damage increase for hitting would not be much. The real point of this idea is to get rid of that stupid turning attack in the combat unless intentionally needed....and to kill swing spam!

Come to think of it, I remember watching the Yawspin when I played base and I'm pretty sure it can't be done in Enhanced because all the saber hits bounce. Not to mention that the new view lock feature would probably kill this as well. Of course I'm no expert in this, but we'll see what Razor has to say about it.

Hockney is right. Beyond the initial hit, yawspin is useless in Enhanced due to the bounce effect and viewlocking.

Anyway, I don't currently think that this turning swing idea will work. The spin moves are part of the way the animations handle transitions between different swing positions. Granting special powers to the transitions with spins would make the saber combat would probably make the saber combat damage levels feel very random. If we could actually gain control over the spin moves that wouldn't be the case but with the current animations we're stuck.

Well, my point here was really to makle it something the everyone avoids doing but not make it completely useless. I figured it would also help people tell the noobs from the vets easier as well by how well they can control their turn hits. I don't really think it would make the hit damage seem random to anybody who knows the system: basically, you get hit when you try it, your turning move terminates and you lose DP or if you hit someone with it, they lose a little more DP than usual. Pretty black and and white as far as thats concerned, just hard to control not doing which would be its biggest but not impossible downfall. I guess it's not that important right now anyways

Curse those stupid turn moves!!! Is there anyway you could at least speed those animations up so they match the rest of the combo moves?

Have you thought anymore about reducing the force cost of cartwheels backflips, and maybe wall jumps? It might also be interesting if you could parry while you you do it. I was playing around with the cartwheels and wall flips today and had fun with trying to parry them while doing it. I think a few times it actually worked!! LOL. Anyway, having low level jumps like these cost less FP (maybe 3-5 FP) would help reduce the monogamy of just standing toe to toe (one of the complaints I've heard from some MB people who have tried it) as well as be true to the movies with only low jumps.

I also still really like your old idea of aborbing a kick with a backflip. Any plans on that?

I know, too many questions. But I want the next build to be another real ground breaker for OJP Enhanced saber system like 0.0.4 was (not that the other two aren't) as far as turning heads. I really wish I could help with the coding process, but right know I'm still struggling how to understand how to make scheduling and cash register programs in Java! LOL

I just had an interesting idea for down the road: For OJP vets, make a game mode where hits that you don't parry/block in the right direction for take a ton more DP and maybe a few other interesting features. For when vets start getting too good and saber fights last 10 minutes this might be an interesting option for them. I'm sure your new powerfake system will help make things quicker, but I'm sure the best will find a way to make fights take forever again.

I just had a very big idea that I had to get down here, and I think you should pay close attention to it because I think this could really help back and forth combat some more focus and improve the over all combat greatly if its possible (I love run-on sentences!!)

This idea comes from the scene in Episode six where luke is overpowering vader and starts hammering on vader block until vader is too weak to hold the saber there and luke cuts off his hand.

First off, remeber this idea:

I just had a quick idea in order to increase the skill of causing DP loss. when you parry someone and they are stunned in a DP > 50 situation, if your next hit on the his stun at the exact opposite on where his swing started it will do more DP damage and do DP damage even if he hits the right parry direction. I'm not sure how this would work with top-down swings though.

You said that the hit detection on the body was not good enough to be consistant in damage and I agree.

However, What if the person attacking the parry targeted the saber instead which from my experience, has great hit detection! I was playing around with it today and found that the opponents saber is still hard to hit when they are in the parry because they are drawing it back slowly; but it in not too hard especially if the person doing the parry times it so the attack gets parried with their saber in front of them. This idea has the following benefits:

1. This would add soooooooooooo much to strategy in doing parries and attacking them.

2. Because players will now be targeting the saber instead, it will make the fights look more movie realistic because the parried person is getting hit around the area of his saber rather than somewhere else on his body that he wouldn't be able to block!

3. This could be the balance we need to balance out defense against the new power fakes that have the potential to be used too much in in the way of attacking.

4. You could make the penalties for getting hiton your saber in a parry anything you want. I would suggest the following:

a. if the parried person hits parries the attack that hits his saber, they will still lose DP in a marginal amount.

b. If the parried person does not parry attack that hits his saber or hit the proper parry direction, he will lose more DP than if he parried it and also lose some FP.

c. If the parried person is using a style two styles weaker than the attacker and the parried person does not parry the incomming attack right, the parried person will get disarmed.

Of course this is all assuming that the parried person can actually parry when just his saber is hit. It seems to work that way normally so hopefully that won't be a problem.

Man I hop you like this idea and it can be done, because I believe it would totally be an incredibly benefitial edition to the saber system and make it even more movie realistic!

Just a quick suggestion: if you do decide to make the yellow arial special more of a "flip over your opponent move" I would suggest making the animation faster and the jump a bit further. I also think it should at least to a tiny bit of DP damage.

I sure you are so busy with school right now that you don't even want to think about new suggestions, but I really think the first one warrants full attention. And let me down easy if you think it sucks, because I love this idea .......really......... (starts sobbing)

LOL

You lost me there. So basically, the idea is that attackers would drain more DP by hitting the defender's saber vs their body? Would this be just during a knockaway animation that a player plays when they parry a blow?

Ok, I used TOO many run on sentences there! LOL.

I'm taking about after an attacker is parried at DP > 50, he enters that slow drawback animation, right? Well, if the defender who just parried the attacker attacks (becoming the new attacker) and hits the slowly drawing back saber of the former attacker (now the new defender) who is now parried, the parried defender will lose more DP.

If the defender was able to press the right parry direction as the attacker hit their parried saber, they will still lose some DP. If they don't press the right parry direction in that situation, they will lose more DP and maybe some FP as well (but that's your call). I also listed some other possibilities above.

This DP loss should only be the case when you hit a parried saber though.

Fair enough, however, I do still think they should still lose some Dp or DP/FP even if they do parry it correctly. I think that the more the players can go for the sabers in attacking parries, the more realistic it will look.

I'm sure youre worried that too much DP or FP loss will be too much for this move, but after practicing do this for a while, it is almost hard enough to warrant a big loss if they don't parry it right because the saber is often very hard to hit in the drawback. This will especially be the case when human players no to avoid the other saber when they get parried.

It may have to work a it differently for staff and dual though since there is more serface area to hit. Maybe having no extra DP loss could be one of the benefits of the staffs extra defensive abilities and being easy to hit would be one of the downfall of Dual's heavy attacking ability.

You can't parried while stunned so it's an all or nothing idea.

It just occurred to me that there's currently no behavior specified for getting hit on the saber while in a bounce move. It seems to me that a player that directly hits a bounced saber should cause a mishap roll for the defender. That way players have a possible way to cause actual stuns/disarms/etc while at high FP/DP levels. What do you guys think?

You can't parried while stunned so it's an all or nothing idea.

Oh, ok. I was worried about that, but its still ok with a consistant damage. Just use your best judgement as to how much extra it should be by hitting there.

It just occurred to me that there's currently no behavior specified for getting hit on the saber while in a bounce move. It seems to me that a player that directly hits a bounced saber should cause a mishap roll for the defender. That way players have a possible way to cause actual stuns/disarms/etc while at high FP/DP levels. What do you guys think?

A bounced saber? Not sure what situation youre refering to. If you refering to hitting a saber on it's way back to ready position after bouncing off an opponent who just blocked, how would the opponent hit that returning saber in time?

If youre referring to getting hit while performing an attack button tap fake, have I'll have to think about that one because I like to use that as to block sabers sometimes to trip out my opponent! lol.

I'll see youre response tomarrow. Goodnight.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'm referring to when a player attacks a player's saber when they're in the slow bounce caused by avoiding a stun or knockdown with high DP/FP. I'm thinking that maybe it should cause the stun/knockdown that was avoided. That way players can still cause stuns/knockdowns at high DP/FP but only with a decent amount of skill.

I'm referring to when a player attacks a player's saber when they're in the slow bounce caused by avoiding a stun or knockdown with high DP/FP. I'm thinking that maybe it should cause the stun/knockdown that was avoided. That way players can still cause stuns/knockdowns at high DP/FP but only with a decent amount of skill.

So basically you mean that you think my idea should cause stuns and knockdowns rather than just more DP/FP loss. Maybe, but I'm not sure I would prefer it over just causing of it just causing more DP/FP loss, I'll have to think about that some more.

How about a compromise. How about if they hit it with the same style the parried opponent is using or weaker, it does more DP/FP damage; if they hit it with a style one style stronger, it knocks them over; if they hit with a style two styles stronger, it disarms them; and if they hit it with a style 3 or more stronger, it causes a big stun.

Also, I'm wondering if we should make the powerfake do less damage than it normally does when attacking a parried person in order to promote using it more offensively and not give big, easy heavy damage to parried people that costs low FP for the attacker. The exception could be when a power fake hits the parried persons saber and it could even up the power effect of the style being used (that is if you decide to go with my last suggestion).

1. Actually no, I was referring to attackin the saber while a player is in a slow bounce. Your idea sounded like it involved attacking the saber while the player is in a stun.

2. Bear in mind that there is no such thing as a "stronger" style in OJP Enhanced. I'm dead against rock-paper-scissors game mechanics. Also, when I add the keshire block animations back in, it's probably going to dramatically increase the number of times there are true saber-on-saber blocks vs the "fake" bounding box/body blocks. As such, I don't think we should do anything that could depend on weither or not the player hits the actual saber blade during a block.

3. Parried attack fakes don't currently cost the defender any DP, but it also doesn't parry the attacker. I think that's a fair trade off at the moment since attack fakes are pretty powerful as is.

Arrgh, I'm so confused! :headbump So there's a slow bounce that takes place other than when you parry someone who has DP > 50? This is the slow-bounce "stun" I've been referring to this whole time with this "hit the saber idea, not the slow, completely exposing stun that occurs after the parried person has DP < 50.

So if we were on the same page here as far as what we both we're talking in terms of the slow bounce "stuns," then you're saying that there is another circumstance in which slow bounces occur other than getting parried when you have DP > 50? If so, when? I don't remember ever seening it happen. And if it does happen, then I'll have to try it and see if your ideas are balanced.

If we werent on the same page as far as what we both were talking about, than you might want to re-read my original suggestions on it and see why I suggest doing it the way I have.

Btw, whole idea about stronger styles doing different causing different mishaps maybe rock-paper-scissors like in a sense, but it is balanced because the slower styles will will have a harder time hitting the slow drawback stun (DP > 50). If the style the parried defender is using is weaker and faster than the attackers style, the defender will drawback a bit faster and the attacker will swing slow, thus making it harder for the attacker to actually hit the defender saber as it slowly draws back

An alternative to the stronger styles cause different mishaps idea could be the angle at which you hit the parried defenders saber on the drawback, For example: if you hit it at an almost perfect perpendicular angle, it causes a disarm. This look really cool when I did something similar to it today while test this idea because it looked like he was suppose to get disarmed at that angle anyway. Of course I have the feeling that causing different mishaps based on the angle you hit at can't really be done anyway.

Oh, and btw, if you want to lose all hope in humanity and "hooked on the feeling" that we are all doomed, go here :xp:http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=Gi2CfuqcUGE

1. right. The slow bounce is the slow recoil move that happens at 50+ DP. I guess I wasn't understanding what you meant by stun. I thought you meant of the stumbling backwards knocked animations that occur < 50 DP. So, basically, I think we're talking about the same thing at the same time. :)

2. There are two types of bounces. The slow bounce occurs whenever the player "avoids" a mishap by having enough DP/FP. The other type of bouncing is the regular bounces that occur whenever the saber hits something that can take damage. Normal bouncing isn't a penalty so much as the normal bounce/recoil from a saber impact.

3. As I stated earlier, it might be better to have it cause a "true" mishap vs just costing more DP/FP. That way there will be some mechanic (even if it's hard to do) to cause true mishaps at high DP/FP levels. Hopefully this would add some flavor to the game.

4. I just don't like the idea of styles being inherently "better". I like the idea of pros/cons, but I don't think any style should be a "set" counter-balance to another. My feeling is that style should be a matter of choice rather than need. As such, a player should be able to happily play while just using a single style the entire time.

Speaking of style balancing, I could use some feedback about the various single saber styles and how they should be balanced. My creative juices just aren't sparking for the single sabers. I've already finished the dual/double saber balancing and I'm pretty happy with the results. I was letting the bots just go at it for a while and the dual/double sabers don't seem to have the inherent advantage that they used to. Woot!

5. As for doing something angle based, I'm not sure how the math would work for something like that. Raven tried something similar for some of their code but it's really complicated and I'm not sure I could do any better than they did on that sort of thing.

3. As I stated earlier, it might be better to have it cause a "true" mishap vs just costing more DP/FP. That way there will be some mechanic (even if it's hard to do) to cause true mishaps at high DP/FP levels. Hopefully this would add some flavor to the game.

The thing I'm worried about is that it would end up being not too hard for a vet to hit the opponents saber in this situation. I myself have been getting very good at hitting the tabbot's saber in this situation all ready. For example: if a person is using red and gets slowbounce parried by a person using yellow, the guy using red will slow bounce very slowly and easily get hit by the person using red. same would go for yellow vs tavions. Are you starting to see why I suggested that stronger styles only cause the mishaps?

4. I just don't like the idea of styles being inherently "better". I like the idea of pros/cons, but I don't think any style should be a "set" counter-balance to another. My feeling is that style should be a matter of choice rather than need. As such, a player should be able to happily play while just using a single style the entire time.

The pro of stronger styles is that they cause mishaps in this situation and the con is that they are much more easily hit by a faster, but weaker style when they get slowbounce parried. I also think that having still having DP/FP drain happen for hitting a slow bounce with the same or weaker/faster style should be this way because it would keep this back and forth action going strong when players get good at hitting eachothers sabers (and like I said, its really not that hard with styles of the same speed or faster). If it turns out that it is still too easy to hit the opponents slowbouncing saber with a style that is only one style slower/stronger we could also make it two styles stronger to cause a mishap.

Speaking of style balancing, I could use some feedback about the various single saber styles and how they should be balanced. My creative juices just aren't sparking for the single sabers. I've already finished the dual/double saber balancing and I'm pretty happy with the results. I was letting the bots just go at it for a while and the dual/double sabers don't seem to have the inherent advantage that they used to. Woot!

Hmmm, well I've suggested making the DP damages based off the speed of the style, I.E. tavion the fastest and weakest, and red the slowest and strongest. I think as far as how to implement the DP damage differences, I think that the differing damages should be as little as possible without making the differences insignificant. Example: tavion does 1, blue 1.5, yellow 2, desann 2.5, and red 3. This still might be too much, but use your best judgement.

As for specials in these styles, you already mentioned that you are implementing the blue lunge for all the styles (which I would also suggest finding alternate animations for each, like tavions becomes stab, desanns becomes the staff spinning special, etc.) I would also suggest either having all these styles have two specials including the lunge (or substitute animation) and something else (that you have unimplemented like that spinning DFA you thought about adding to desanns style) or maybe just making the a style that one has one special be given a more powerful move (like making blue lunge stronger than other and tavions roll stab stronger) if you would like to make new specials for a style that only has one, you could also look around for new animations and see if you can just get some of the animaitons for the special moves of JA+ 2.4 or the chaos mod......or ask Keshire if he has any new ones.

I hope that helps. It doesn't I can keep thinking about it.

The thing I'm worried about is that it would end up being not too hard for a vet to hit the opponents saber in this situation. I myself have been getting very good at hitting the tabbot's saber in this situation all ready. For example: if a person is using red and gets slowbounce parried by a person using yellow, the guy using red will slow bounce very slowly and easily get hit by the person using red. same would go for yellow vs tavions. Are you starting to see why I suggested that stronger styles only cause the mishaps?

Right now the bounce animation speeds/lengths are pretty much the same so I don't think there's a huge difference between the styles. I conceed that it might be too easy to get the bounced saber during a slow bounce but since getting into a stun/knockdown isn't that bad of a situation I think it would work out. How about we possibly try it and see what happens? :)

As for specials in these styles, you already mentioned that you are implementing the blue lunge for all the styles (which I would also suggest finding alternate animations for each, like tavions becomes stab, desanns becomes the staff spinning special, etc.) I would also suggest either having all these styles have two specials including the lunge (or substitute animation) and something else (that you have unimplemented like that spinning DFA you thought about adding to desanns style) or maybe just making the a style that one has one special be given a more powerful move (like making blue lunge stronger than other and tavions roll stab stronger) if you would like to make new specials for a style that only has one, you could also look around for new animations and see if you can just get some of the animaitons for the special moves of JA+ 2.4 or the chaos mod......or ask Keshire if he has any new ones.

Right now all singles have the lunge and the overhead flip. The flip currently has two variations, a flip stab for the "lighter" styles and a overhead slash for the "heavier" styles. As for the DFA, red is currently the only style that does it but I plan to expand it to include purple (desann) with the spinning DFA move and possibly yellow.

In addition, I reworked things so that DFAs and overhead flips can be done with the same stance. DFAs can now be done in mid-air and now require a top swing windup before they will work. But you do have to be moving at run speed for it to work.

Hmmm, well I've suggested making the DP damages based off the speed of the style, I.E. tavion the fastest and weakest, and red the slowest and strongest. I think as far as how to implement the DP damage differences, I think that the differing damages should be as little as possible without making the differences insignificant. Example: tavion does 1, blue 1.5, yellow 2, desann 2.5, and red 3. This still might be too much, but use your best judgement.

Actually I've been trying to make the styles all move at about the same speed. Unfortunately, the swing speeds are a bit deceptive since the windup speeds vary quite a bit.

Right now the bounce animation speeds/lengths are pretty much the same so I don't think there's a huge difference between the styles. I conceed that it might be too easy to get the bounced saber during a slow bounce but since getting into a stun/knockdown isn't that bad of a situation I think it would work out. How about we possibly try it and see what happens?

Oh alright, it's your call. But I'm still worried about putting too many gaps in the back and forth combat as well as the fact that faster styles will be able to hit the slowbounces of slower styles much easier than vice versa. I don't know, maybe if the slower styles do more DP damage in general, that could be the balancing factor.

Right now all singles have the lunge and the overhead flip. The flip currently has two variations, a flip stab for the "lighter" styles and a overhead slash for the "heavier" styles. As for the DFA, red is currently the only style that does it but I plan to expand it to include purple (desann) with the spinning DFA move and possibly yellow.

In addition, I reworked things so that DFAs and overhead flips can be done with the same stance. DFAs can now be done in mid-air and now require a top swing windup before they will work. But you do have to be moving at run speed for it to work.

Wow, interesting. You're ahead of me on that one.

Actually I've been trying to make the styles all move at about the same speed. Unfortunately, the swing speeds are a bit deceptive since the windup speeds vary quite a bit.

Honestly, unless you really do some serious tweaking to the windup speeds, I don't think they'll ever move at the same speed. The number of frames of each style seem to vary alot as well so it would be really hard for them to move at the same speed from that standpoint as well.

But honestly, I would rather them not move at the same speed so making different DP damages is reasonable. I think varying speeds and varying DP damages allows for a lot more variaty in individual styles and tactics. If they do all move at the same speed, red is also always going to have an advantage over the others because of its reach. I suppose if red was just a slight bit slower than the others and tavions was just a slight bit faster, it would balance out, but those windup animations kill.

Another possibility is varying FP damages amoung the styles, but this would have to be only if you decided play with default FP gains otherwise, everyone would run out of steam way too quickly.

I also think it would be interesting to choose maybe three of the existing singles when using single kind of like how force mod 3 did it. It would also open up the possiblity of making weaker single saber styles based on staff and dual moves. This would allow for custimization for peoples individual styles.

Other than the tavion/blue style, the styles are pretty synced up now. As for balance, I think the windup periods for the larger swing styles will simply have slower windups. This balancing has been done for the most part already. It's really just a matter of tweaking the overall speeds and the speeds of individual windups that don't quite move right. For this purpose, loads of feedback on the style speeds would be great. :)

FYI, I've already tweaked the blue attack swings to make them more at the speed of theo the styles.

Archived