Home

Problem with Win XP SP2

Zappa_0

Hey all I need some help. I just installed SP2 on my laptop machine and ive got all the updates and stuff. The problem is that it wont let me open up Internet Explorer or a regular window to my hard drives. I think the main problem is the drwtsn32.exe file which I think is that new windows spyware program, but I cant find anywhere to uninstall it. Can anyone offer any help to help me fix this problem?

First, definitely take care of the virus as that is most likely the cause of your problems. However if the virus was on your system when you installed SP2 then it may have interfered with SP2's proper configuration. You may need to reinstall SP2 once your system is virus-free.

Second, drwtsn32.exe has been around since Windows NT (2 versions before Windows XP). It's not Microsoft "spyware" although it does look for specific events on your system. Dr. Watson for Windows is a program error debugger and creates log files when applications hard crash. This is a good thing. Check out this Microsoft documentation for more info on Dr. Watson.

Hey Zappa_0, you can edit your previous posts you know. No need to double and triple post when nobody else has posted... :rolleyes:

THX, the virus wasnt on it before the install. Virus has been taken care off. Tried reinstalling the .net frameworks. Still not working...gonna look at ur link.
This doesn't make much sense to me. How did the virus get on your system during the SP2 install? Not likely. If you just installed SP2 today then the virus was most likely already on your system.

Need more details of your error. What I've got so far:

You can't view files using Windows Explorer.

You can't browse the Internet using Internet Explorer.

You can view files and web sites using MSN Explorer.

Have you tried plugging in your error message into Google or searching Microsoft's website for further information?

OK, I would try to get a fresh install of SP2 since you took care of that virus. The virus had to have been on the computer before the SP2 install. It botched the install. I assume that you've done a virus scan and your system should be clean, so do the fresh install. Just make sure you dont have any other programs running. Just spend the afternoon (or whatever time it is) doing all of the updates. Also, make sure you don't have any shell replacements running or antivirus programs either.

Just out of curiosity, how old is your computer?

Archived