Home

did vader know?

Darth_Death

I believe he knew that what he was doing was wrong as evidenced by his tears on Mustafar. But he saw apprenticing himself to Sidious as the only way to learn the powers he felt he needed to save Padme's life. He had already gone to Master Yoda about his dreams concerning Padme's death, although even these he kept veiled to the Master as to not reveal his true relationship to Padme, and he didn't get the answer he was seeking, which was a way to save her, and instead was told to learn to let go and be happy that they would become one with the force.

I think he was conflicted at times, and that's why we get the tears and the hesitation, but more and more he rationalizes it and his evilness takes over. He's justifying it to himself every way he can because he WANTS to go this way, he wants the power and control that he thinks will bring him hapiness and fullfillment. He reacts impulsively. He's not doing it all for love, otherwise why would he try to strangle to death the woman he's supposedly doing all this mayhem for?

He's nuts, and nutty people don't always act consistently. But anyway, yeah, I think "there is still good in him" and that is his conscience fighting to get out and convict him of wrong doing. He eventually shuts it away and suppresses it, perhaps until he faces Luke again and makes a breakthrough. I think in a way though he delights in the suffering he inflicts (note his sarcastic comment to Captain Needa as he kills him). His sadism is part of his dark side that he allows to show through.

Going back to the original question.

This is a question i have been thinking about for the past week and now i need to ask it. When Anaikin turned bad did he know he was doing evil or did he believe that what he was doing was the right thing?

I think the answer to that is BOTH. For him it was the right thing, even though it was evil, it was the way to save padme, and if you paid attention to all of the movies you can pick out the various places where Anakin becomes disgruntled with the way the galaxy's government handles things. So not only will this Sidious offer him the chanace to save Padme but he also has the chance to make the governmental changes he feels need to be made to the galaxy.

Now if in asking the original question for this thread you really mean wrong rather than evil, that's more of a gray area, I think.

• 3 weeks later...

He thought he was doing good. He would always question himself. And he always thought what im doing is for the good of the empire. And he thought what the empire was doing was good. Thats how much of an impact the emperor had on him.

• 1 year later...
I believe he knew that what he was doing was wrong as evidenced by his tears on Mustafar. But he saw apprenticing himself to Sidious as the only way to learn the powers he felt he needed to save Padme's life. He had already gone to Master Yoda about his dreams concerning Padme's death, although even these he kept veiled to the Master as to not reveal his true relationship to Padme, and he didn't get the answer he was seeking, which was a way to save her, and instead was told to learn to let go and be happy that they would become one with the force.

First i believe that Anakin was not crying it could of merely been sweat. And the main point about this is that Anakin says that he has basically brought balance to galaxy (which he hasn't because of the fact that he is only finishing Palpatine's wish to control the galaxy).

Archived