Home

Knights of the Old Republic: Darkness Falls II - Alliances

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

((OOC: It was decaying, but we're not letting it die quite yet. We do, however, need to make a few changes.

• Since Rob hasn't been online in about a week and a half, I'll be taking over Karda until he returns.
  • WJ has left us. Crystal will either become an NPC or handed to someone else to be controlled. We may be bringing in a new player, assigned by WJ himself, to continue the character's role. More on this as it develops.
  • 3yks has chosen to pull out of the RP as well. Jas, FFWM and I haven't decided what we want to do with Brax yet, but we will think of something. For now, he'll be an NPC amongst the Threadmasters until we come up with a more firm plan for him.

By the looks of things, DF III just isn't in the cards - and if it does play out, only a fraction of the original players will remain. We'll iron things out, I promise - we won't leave anything hanging for very long, I assure you.

Now, for a brief refresher on what's going on at the moment. Revan and Kira have met and been fooled by Lord Vros' Atton clone. The three of them are in orbit around Myrkr, along with the Doctor, Rose, Karda, Crystal, and Tylor and his marines. All three ships have detected the signals from Jedi Padawan tracking implants aboard a cargo ship on the planet's surface. They are planning to meet on the surface of the planet to investigate, while the Doctor remains onboard the TARDIS to repair the remote materialisation circuit.

Elsewhere, Bastila, Jasra, Brax, the real Atton, and the Jedi Padawans are being held prisoner by Lord Vros at his secret layer, being tortured one by one by a machine capable of extracting the living Force out of the individual placed in it. So far, half of Bastila's padawans have been drained and removed from the prison. They are unable to escape, due to the presence of the lizard-like Ysalamir - non-sentient creatures that create a bubble of 'anti-Force' - a void in the physical world where the Force is muted, and even the most powerful of Jedi become powerless.

Behind the backs of the others, the other Time Lord, calling himself the Valeyard, is secretly plotting against the crew, and has made a deal with Lord Vros' in an effort to have the Doctor captured for his own mysteriously nefarious purposes. It is still unknown what his intentions are, nor what purpose the black mirror in Vros' antechamber serves - a mirror that seems to have the ability to speak to Vros unheard...))

IC:

Revan adjusted the port stabilizer as the Ebon Hawk descended to the planet's surface. Making sure the hull temperature was within limits, he accelerated their descent.

"Hang on," he said to Kira. "This may get-" He was interupted by a sudden jolt, and the ship began shaking as they approached the ground. "a little rough," he finished.

"Thanks for the heads-up." Kira murmured, her teeth rattling as the ship bounced again. Soon enough, the hull of the Ebon Hawk had punched through the cloud cover of the planet, and began the smoother ride to the surface below.

"Hiya, guys." came Atton's cheery voice through the comm. Kira looked over as a new dot appeared on their radar, and saw the Ssss a ways away. She imagined she could see Atton waving at them. "How's it going?"

"Perfectly fine, Atton, thank you." she answered, shaking her head in amusement.

"Just making sure that Revan didn't go crashing my ship or anything."

Revan gave her a sidelong glance, knowing what she was thinking. "How many times do I have to tell you? I can read you like a book." He looked away. "And it's my ship."

The cockpit jolted again as the landing struts touched down in a small forest clearing, just big enough for the Hawk to slide in. After shutting down the engines, Revan opened a comm signal to Atton.

"Don't park your ship too far from the Hawk, Rand," he said. "I don't want to have to drag Princess through too much jungle to get to you."

He began shutting down systems. "I'm shutting down all non essential systems, to minimise our energy output. Don't want to give whoever's out here any help finding us."

Revan rolled his eyes. "It wasn't a compliment..." he muttered. "Besides, we both know which of us where's the pants in this relationship. Unfortunately, it's you."

((Kira, you seem to have been booted off of MSN. Lawl @ j00, sure, but we have work to do. :xp: ))

Crystal watched the others go and then turned to face the Doctor... or rather to observe his back as he began busily working about under consoles and in various panels around the control room.

"Doctor," she finally said, realizing that his attention was now fully on his ship rather than the fact that he had somehow kept from giving her any specific assignment. "I hardly think you're the sort of being who would simply forget to give a person something to do. Therefore, I suspect you had something else in mind for me?"

The Doctor didn't look at her as he responded.

"Actually, there is something," he said, adjusting the sonic screwdriver before poking it under the console. "I've been wondering about your telekentic abilities. Ever since we met in the other timeline, it's been nagging at the back of my mind. For literally over twenty linear years."

She merely looked at him. "I don't s'pose..." he said after a moment, returning to his work. "Maybe you'd like to enlighten me?"

Crystal smiled a little and shook her head, seeming at a loss for words. Finally, she said, "I'm afraid there isn't much to say," she confessed. "When it was discovered that I am in no way Force sensitive, I automatically assumed that, though human in form, there is something significantly non-human about me. I always attribute any of my abilities to the non-human part, then."

Sighing, she again shook her head. "But really, it's all speculation. I distinctly remember the people who called themselves my parents having whispered discussions of how they'd found me, abandoned in some form of odd basket or other. When I began displaying signs of telepathy and limited telekinesis, they sent me to the Jedi, thinking for certain I would make a good one.

"But their constant teachings of patience and emotional squashing quickly got on my nerves." She smiled faintly. "From the Jedi, I saw only one beneficial thing, their knowledge of the construction of lightsabers. That, I took telepathically, constructed my lightsaber and left."

Suddenly, she stopped and frowned. "Oh, dear!" she exclaimed. "I do seem to ramble on with only the slightest persuasion!"

The Doctor smiled slightly as he made an adjustment to the sonic screwdriver, and poked it back into the console. "S'all right," he said. "I've been known to ramble myself, on occasion." He was silent for a moment before continuing. "Tell me... What did your parents tell you about where you came from?"

"A basket," Crystal answered simply. She shook her head. "I don't mean to oversimplify, Doctor, but they never spoke much of it... even when I asked. They heard a strange noise, went to investigate, and found me tucked away in a basket, wrapped in a blue blanket. There was a necklace too."

She laughed slightly and wondered, "What do you think, Doctor? Am I a mystery entirely or just a random collection of races summed up in a more human body?" Cocking her head a little she added, "Or is it too early to tell?"

The Doctor didn't look up from his work. "A simple bio-scan would reveal your species. When I'm done with the TARDIS, I can..." He trailed off into silence, looking up at her suddenly. "What sort of necklace?" he asked, straightening.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Rose looked around as she stepped out of the TARDIS, Tylor and his marines a few metres ahead of herself and Karda.

"Rose, tell me something..." said Karda, turning to her slightly, his hands behind his back. "The Doctor. While he seems to be similar to the old Doctor that I met in the other timeline, this one seems to have a significantly more... darker side. I sense great sadness and barely controlled self loathing just beneath the surface of his thoughts. I was wondering... do you happen to know what happened to cause such a drastic change?"

Rose took a deep breath, shifting slightly. "Well... I don't know a lot about his past... he's rather private, incase you hadn't noticed. I know that his homeworld was destroyed in a War with a race called the Daleks, and that his people... his people were destroyed. He's the last of his race. He's never said how he survived."

Karda nodded. "Surivor's guilt is a common wartime phenomenon. Kira also carries a great deal of guilt from the Mandalorian Wars." He sighed. "Well, I s'pose there's nothing to be done. He'll get over his guilt in his own time."

The Doctor glanced at it, then returned his attention to the TARDIS.

His head snapped back up to the thin metal chain she was holding up, his brow wrinkled, his mouth slightly open. He dropped the sonic screwdriver, letting it clatter to the floor. He moved around the console, ignoring the random screeching noises the device emitted as it clattered to the floor.

He snatched it out of her hand roughly, ignoring the startled look on her face. He stared at it, his mouth gaping. "Crystal..." He said slowly, not looking up at her. "Do you remember anything about your true home planet? About your people? Anything at all?"

Truly startled, Crystal took a faltering step backward. "I... I-I..." Frowning, she shook her head. "I... no, nothing."

Still puzzled by his questions and the intensity with which he asked them, she retrieved his discarded tool and switched it off without looking. "Doctor, is something wrong?"

Startled, Crystal dropped the sonic screwdriver. It clattered by her feet and she stared at the Doctor for a long moment. Then, she retrieved the device she'd just dropped and began examining it busily. As she turned it over and over in her hands, she spoke.

"It..." she stammered. "Well, how much does it really mean, Doctor? I mean, for all we know, one of your people could have discovered me as a baby, placed the necklace with me and left me where they knew I'd be cared for..."

The Doctor stared at the necklace. "It's possible." He handed the chain back to her, taking the sonic screwdriver from her. He activated it, made an adjustment, and moved it from her chest to the top of her head, and back again. The light flickered for on and off, and the whine that usually accompanied its activation sputtered and died. He smacked it against his hand, but to no avail. He shook his head. "It's not working. Must have been damaged when it was dropped." He sighed, looking at the TARDIS console. "Which means repairing the TARDIS will be much more difficult."

Frowning, Crystal took the sonic screwdriver and examined it. Shaking her head thoughtfully, she said, "Well, if your sonic screwdriver's broken, employ a friend to help you." She looked over at him and smiled. "And this friend is volunteering. Tell me what I can do."

Meanwhile, in Vros' secret lair....

~~~~~

Thump. Thump. Thump, ka-dunk.

Jasra’s eyes quickly flicked to the right and then back again. She let out a bored sigh.

“So, Jasra,” Bastila started from the Force cage to Jasra’s left, “tell me how a Jedi Padawan, such as yourself, got involved with this… this….”

From his cage on the other side of Bastila, Brax said, “Omwati,” followed by a quick acerbic grin.

“It’s complicated, Master Shan,” Jasra answered. “It involves… time travel among other things.”

“Time travel?”

Jasra gave the Jedi Master a hard stare. “Did I stutter when I said that?” she snapped at Bastila. “Yes, time travel!”

“I didn’t think that was possible,” Bastila mused.

“Well, apparently, it is,” Jasra said sarcastically. She sighed again. “Look, can we talk about something else? Like how we’re going to get out of here?”

“We’ll just have to be patient and wait for help to arrive or an opportunity to present itself,” said Bastila.

“But what if nobody comes?” Jasra asked her. “We can’t depend on a rescue. We have to do something ourselves.”

“Well we can’t do anything with those Ysalamiri hanging over our heads,” Bastila told her.

“No, we just can’t do anything that uses the Force,” Brax stated. He flexed the claws on his gauntlets. “We must think of alternatives.”

Jasra shifted her position to better see Brax through Bastila’s cage. “Brax, you think you can cut the bottom out of your cage?” she asked him.

Brax shook his head. “I’ve tried. The Force field surrounds the entire cage. My gauntlets will not penetrate it.”

“So we have to think outside the box…,” Jasra said, thinking out loud.

Thump. Thump….

Jasra cringed and let out a loud sigh of frustration. “WOULD YOU STOP THAT!” she shouted, turning to the right and glaring at Atton in the cage next to her.

There was a pause as Atton stared at Jasra, then at the small, rubber-like ball in his hand. He tossed it against the floor of the cage, letting it bounce three times before batting it down with his hand and catching it. Thump. Thump. Thump, ka-dunk. “What?”

“That!” Jasra snapped, pointing at the ball. “It’s driving me insane!”

“It’s just a ball,” Atton said. “Probably left behind by one of the trainees. Besides, I’m bored.” Thump. Thump. Thump, ka-dunk.

Jasra rolled her eyes. “Well, why don’t you spend your time thinking of a way out of here instead of driving the rest of us mad?”

“I was thinking.”

“And?”

Atton shrugged. Thump. Thump. Thump, ka-dunk.

Jasra’s eyes narrowed. “Spill it, Rand!” Jasra ordered sharply.

“Oooh!” Atton cooed sarcastically. “How very ‘un-Jedi.’ Don’t you think, Bastila?”

“I don’t think now is the time to discuss Padawan Lantill’s standing in the Jedi Order,” Bastila calmly replied. “However, if you have an idea on how we might escape, we’d all like to hear it.”

“Typical Jedi answer. Always calm and diplomatic,” Atton said under his breath. Thump. Thump. Thump, ka-dunk. He held the ball in his hand. “See, the way I figure it, ol’ Vros is going to save you for last,” he said, looking at Bastila. “Which means it’ll be my turn in his Force-sucking machine next.”

“He hasn’t taken Brax yet,” Jasra pointed out.

“No,” Brax agreed. “But Vros already figured out that we are linked somehow. What he did to you in that machine of his, weakened me. And Vros’ said that he didn’t drain you completely. He’ll let us both recover first, then he’ll see if it works the other way around.”

Atton grinned. “Braxy’s right, Jas. Vros is the scientific type. He’ll want to know more about your ‘bond’.”

“Great,” said Jasra. “So, what’s your plan then?”

“Well….” Atton looked around, as if he suspected that Vros might be listening to him. “You’ll just have to wait and see.” He grinned at Jasra. “Won’t be long.” Thump. Thump. Thump, ka-dunk.

“You are so irritating,” Jasra told him.

“Part of my endearing charm,” Atton said, giving her a wink.

Kira descended the loading ramp, tossing her heavy cloak back over one shoulder as her feet touched the lush grass.

Myrkr was a foresty planet, which wasn't exactly what the Jedi Exile had expected. She had never visited - or even seen, for that matter - the planet before. And with a name like Myrkr, she was expecting some sort of desert planet.

She took in a deep breath of cool, sweet air, and smiled. She liked the planet already.

"Don't go getting too comfortable." Atton called as he entered the clearing. "You're not here to build a vacation home."

Kira smiled as she turned to face him. "Atton." she greeted. He was carrying what appeared to be two packs over his shoulder, and a black square in his hand.

"It's good to see me, isn't it?" he asked, winking at her.

Archived