Home

Confused about saber system

UDM

Hey, I've been doing some reading on the sabering system, both on this forum and Hockney's readme, but I'm still a little confused

When I'm in-game, my saber sometimes gets knocked and my character goes into a fixed frame of the "being knocked back" animation for like 4-5 seconds. Also, the enemy bot never seems to have this effect when I swat him to hell. He always ends up blocking my attacks. So essentially, duel outcomes become quite random for me

I read about the parry system, but I'm not quite sure if what I'm seeing is failure to parry or...? Anyway, here's what I do: when the enemy swings left + downwards ie in this direction "/", I move left + backwards. However, I'm still not seeing the desired results. What can I be doing wrong?

Hey, I've been doing some reading on the sabering system, both on this forum and Hockney's readme, but I'm still a little confused

When I'm in-game, my saber sometimes gets knocked and my character goes into a fixed frame of the "being knocked back" animation for like 4-5 seconds. Also, the enemy bot never seems to have this effect when I swat him to hell. He always ends up blocking my attacks. So essentially, duel outcomes become quite random for me

I read about the parry system, but I'm not quite sure if what I'm seeing is failure to parry or...? Anyway, here's what I do: when the enemy swings left + downwards ie in this direction "/", I move left + backwards. However, I'm still not seeing the desired results. What can I be doing wrong?

The knockback animation your talking about sounds like the you got parried and are in a slowbounce. If the same thing happens and you end up with you saber almost frozen were you last hit, your in a heavy bounce. Although 4-5 seconds sounds like a long time for a slow bounce.

As far as where your parrying, from what your discribing, it sounds like your moving in the wrong parry direction for that hit. You got the backward part right, but if he's hitting you a bit lower on you body (other than the top of your head) you need to move into the side of your body that is getting hit. In the case of what your discribed above, I would instead try moving back-right or just right if he's hitting you on the right side. A good rule of thumb is to move back for all really high hits, and move into the side hitswith the side buttons.

Also, pay no attention to the "changes made to the code server thread" until the code server comes back up (which will be quite a while). The changes listed there only apply to that server and not to any other server running 0.0.9.

Honestly, you can learn pretty well fighting tabbots, but its best to fight one of us so we can instruct you better. Look for the following names online: Master Jon Hoc Ni (me), Sushi, Maxstate, Menion, DarthCariss, Razorace (obviously), and just about any regular on the Tharagon server. If you see Talepa, He's also a pro, but I havent seen him in a while. If you want to schedule a meeting, let us know here or on the old scheduling thread.

This is OJP's only real problem, and its stopping newbs from really getting into the game. We need teacher-bots! :p

Anyway Ill see what I can do to get the Euro server online, Ill be in it for the rest of the day probably. <3 ojp.

Thanks for the tips hockney. I'm from Singapore, so ping's probably going to be quite high, but any mod that lets me have some really good saber fights is worth mastering, so I may pop into the servers to get some more tips from you guys

Thanks for the tips hockney. I'm from Singapore, so ping's probably going to be quite high, but any mod that lets me have some really good saber fights is worth mastering, so I may pop into the servers to get some more tips from you guys

Dont worry too much about ping. As long as its not over 300, you should be ok and only at a slight disadvantage. I usually have 200+ ping at the euro server and I still have some pretty decent fights.

I joined the Euro server yesterday night and my ping was a whopping 500 ^^

Holy crap!!! How was your combat?! Try at the Tharagon server when it comes back up. Other than that, you may have to wait until someone donates a really fast server or has a singapore server. :( You also might want to find a friend who you can dual locally with. Good luck.

Well I only played for 2-3 mins. It was basically a game of teleportation lol. It was funny seeing the enemy appear in and out like ghosts

I hope I can get a local server. I've already contacted my ISP, maybe they can help me with hosting. It's too bad the original JAMP killed most of the old JK2 community right from the beginning

-added-

Remember when I said I was stuck at the parry animation? I just realised this: I attacked bot with red, and I think he parried. My saber bounced back, but it wasn't a heavy bounce I think. It was like my hands and saber were just stretched and pointing to the right, as if the upper part of my body was frozen in ice. Then I realised my attack button was held down, so I released it, and I was out of that freezing animation

Is this a bug? Or intended?

Well I only played for 2-3 mins. It was basically a game of teleportation lol. It was funny seeing the enemy appear in and out like ghosts

I hope I can get a local server. I've already contacted my ISP, maybe they can help me with hosting. It's too bad the original JAMP killed most of the old JK2 community right from the beginning

-added-

Remember when I said I was stuck at the parry animation? I just realised this: I attacked bot with red, and I think he parried. My saber bounced back, but it wasn't a heavy bounce I think. It was like my hands and saber were just stretched and pointing to the right, as if the upper part of my body was frozen in ice. Then I realised my attack button was held down, so I released it, and I was out of that freezing animation

Is this a bug? Or intended?

Hmm, that still sounds like a heavy bounce. If its anything else, that is really strange. We'll have to see what Razor thinks when he gets back here.

Based on the video, it looks like you did an attack fake and then blocked two or three times. Blockinig is automatic and uses DP. The reason it holds in that animation for so long is to allow the attacker to combo. The blocking animations will be quicker in the next build.

Btw, you should get some better saber clash sounds then the default ones. I would also recommend finding a bigger saber clash flare. They help hide when your saber goes through people without killing them.

Thanks hockney and maxstate

I downloaded the Movie Saber Clash Effects mod from jk2files.com. However, I noticed that some of the files in its pk3 clash with some of OJP's. The clash fx mod is placed in my Base folder btw. Is there any way I can prevent overlapping? Sometimes I see varying clashes during fights

Thanks hockney and maxstate

I downloaded the Movie Saber Clash Effects mod from jk2files.com. However, I noticed that some of the files in its pk3 clash with some of OJP's. The clash fx mod is placed in my Base folder btw. Is there any way I can prevent overlapping? Sometimes I see varying clashes during fights

Hmm, I've used that too, but I havent seen and overlap. I like all the sonds except one of them....which drives me insane.... What is being overlapped exactly? I suppose one way to fix it is just to use an archiver and take out the files that are overlapping if you don't want them. Other than that, I have no idea.

You should have Kyle send you his sound mod. He took all the best sound mods and made a hybrid and I still use it myself. If you want it, look for one of his posts and PM him or something. Actually, I think I combine his with another one too. If you want it, PM me your email address.

You can do what Hockney said or you could use the same archiver and put the overlapping files in the same PK3. Solves it for me.

Im using my own saber sound mod with sounds for Ep2 and Ep6 as well, I think im going to find some replacements for the guns too.

Oh almost forgot, my force sounds are from neverwinter nights, it came with another melee mod I installed.

That knock back effect you're talking about usually comes from either 1. yellow against red in a constant parry the person in red will be exposed for a bit when his saber is knocked back or 2. when some1 attempts a parry in red and the timing is a bit off both parties sabers fly back. The most common reason you can't do this to a bot is because bots are usually programmed what stance to be in and in most cases its red. If you need any more help with regards to parrying I can only speak of JA+ (although ppl say its OJP). You can refer to this thread.

On another note, I use the all-in-one saber sounds which include luke/yoda sounds from ep.6/ep.2 ,the sith sounds from ep.2/ep.5 and updated normal sounds. I love this pack and switch in between sounds regularly. Keep in mind that EVERYONE'S saber will sound like this. It works on unpure servers. It won't work on a pure server unless they have the sounds in their files. I put this pack on Filefront a long time ago you can get it here.

I always sucked at parrying in base and JA+. LOL. Parrying in OJP Enhanced is Very different from those btw since every defensive move is based on some sort of blocking technique.

I tried that all in one pack once before and it was pretty good. There were a few sounds that I didnt like in each portion of it so I ended up moving on and making a hbrid of several other mods. Kyles hybrid (which I use) is based more on the old trilogy sounds with a few compatible sounding new ones.

I've uploaded a video of it. Please take a look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc91Tj9-N0A

Btw, if you like to make videos, we could probably use you to make some promotional videos for this mod showing off the saber combat sometime if your interested. Each technique would have to be demonstrated in the video to make sure people realize that system is not about swingspamming.

No problem, that sounds cool :). I can do the recording, but I don't know how to mix videos and use those fancy effects heh

I really wish the JA community in Singapore and Asia would revive. There used to be a following, even if considerably small compared to Europe's and her surrounding countries. Still, it's quite ironic that a game based on a license with one of the largest followings globally isn't getting enough attention, despite the fact that it's got mods (OJP and MB2) that are almost perfect for fans to simulate fights in the movies

I'm ready to help out any mod with awesome potential and great developers, especially if it concerns pulling more people into the community (note: people, not spam n00bs "omgz wtf h4x!")

Btw dtriniman what are ya doing dude? You should play this mod, it's awesome! :D

Hey UDM.

I'm a loyal Malaysian fan of JO and JA, ever since I was able to play it (at around 2002). It took me around 3 years (I don't play heavily; only on weekends) to master the single-saber system, and suddenly, JA came out and I had to re-learn the MP community's new moves, which I tried without much success (no thanks to my ping).

And only lately (last week, actually), I got into the OJP fray. (Kinda late, I know, but who asked me to overlook this great mod?). My first OJP experiences were terrible. I couldn't join a Siege game with bots, possibly due to my RAM (256Mb RDRAM). Then, when I joined a team FFA, my computer froze. Finally, I tried to duel a Stormtrooper in a saber-only nf match. I got pwned: like you, I swatted at the Stormtrooper like mad, only to find that I didn't even penetrate his defenses. The Stormtrooper's attacks, however, frequently drained my DP meter. I was flabbergasted. (I know I'm still an OJP n00b)

Anyway, that was only my first experience. If you don't mind, we could set up some OJP saber training session since we're quite close to each other.

Anyway, that was only my first experience. If you don't mind, we could set up some OJP saber training session since we're quite close to each other.

If you give a reasonable time to do a training session, I can help too if you want. I helped design the system and could help you learn how not to get owned by Tabbots, although they still kill me from time to time as well depending on how I want to fight them. They are just that tough.

Good news guys, I'm good with tab bots now as long as they don't use saber staff. Single saber bots are the easiest, while dual saber bots take me a while longer to kill, but they aren't impossible. In fact, fights with dual saber bots take a long time to sustain, and this results in very movie-like duel scenes. Just yesterday, I spent 10 minutes taking down Alora. It was very intense, I kept switching stances to find one that would adapt to the current situation eg. blue when Alora is aggressive, red when the fight is balanced. It boiled down to a very very intense duel, and I eventually won. Wish I had a recording of it :(

Hey Toa I'll pm you my email, we could get a good match going on. Good to find a nearby duelist :)

So hockney, how about the trailer? I'm ready anytime :)

Archived