Home

I got blindsided in my van today...

Nitro

Guest Redwing

"I don't believe that a man and a woman can have a truly platonic relationship."

I am best friends with a girl that I don't find sexually attractive at all. Same goes for her. "Sexual tension"? I don't think so.

"This means that your "just friends" relationship with this girl is going to end at some point, regardless of what you do."

Really? Who says?

"Further, I think that if you are married or involved with someone, it is immoral and quite insensitive to your wife/girlfriend to have a close relationship with another

woman."

Says who?? I don't think I'd break off a friendship with my longtime best friend if I was getting involved with someone else. How exactly would that be immoral?

Okay, I'm overreacting. But I've already been driven nuts by people in high school endlessly asking if my friend and I were boyfriend and girlfriend. So when I saw that post, I got kinda mad. I'm not mad at anybody here. (So nothing personal, Keyan.) I'm mad at that thoroughly idiotic concept that a boy and a girl/man and woman can't have a platonic relationship that has nothing too do with *sex* whatsoever.

------------------

At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi.

At last we will have revenge.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Redwing

Dangit, my rant ended up on a new page, I hate it when that happens...looks so more much more conspicuous *hides*

------------------

I am best friends with a girl that I don't find sexually attractive at all. Same goes for her. "Sexual tension"? I don't think so.

I don't believe you. If it's true, at least one of you is very unattractive (no offense). Sexual tension comes from the fact that when a man and woman are together, they could technically have sex. If you could technically have sex with this girl, there is sexual tension. The only exceptions I can think of are extreme age difference, being related, or being repulsive-looking (again, no offense).

Really? Who says?

Me - I just said it!

Says who?? I don't think I'd break off a friendship with my longtime best friend if I was getting involved with someone else. How exactly would that be immoral?

Says the Bible, for one. If you don't believe in the Bible, well, then, common courtesy. Don't you think it's extremely rude to spend time (alone) with another woman while you are supposedly dating someone (else)? I do. Why? Sexual tension. It's best to just avoid it. Besides, it's scandalous behavior, and that sort of thing becomes much more important later in life, in a work setting, etc.

[This message has been edited by Keyan Farlander (edited September 02, 2001).]

Right now, I'm gonna have to side with Red...

------------------

nitrologo.gif

nitro.gif Ryan "Nitro" Cole nitro.gif - The man who can fly anything with wings... And some things without...

"If they could get a washing machine to fly, our Nitro could land it!"

Small complication...

Terra's man can't see her anymore cause of university... I'm sad for her and everything, but I can't help but think that the big guy is watching over me...

It's just that now I'm even more confused...

I still haven't committed to anything with Gill... But ever since that kiss...

Added in Edit:

40 minutes ago, I was oblivious to this fact... Strange how fast things change, eh?

------------------

nitrologo.gif

nitro.gif Ryan "Nitro" Cole nitro.gif - The man who can fly anything with wings... And some things without...

[This message has been edited by Nitro (edited September 03, 2001).]

Guest Redwing

Originally posted by Keyan Farlander:

((1))I don't believe you. If it's true, at least one of you is very unattractive (no offense). Sexual tension comes from the fact that when a man and woman are together, they could technically have sex. If you could technically have sex with this girl, there is sexual tension. The only exceptions I can think of are extreme age difference, being related, or being repulsive-looking (again, no offense).

((2))Says the Bible, for one. If you don't believe in the Bible, well, then, common courtesy. Don't you think it's extremely rude to spend time (alone) with another woman while you are supposedly dating someone (else)? I do. Why? Sexual tension. It's best to just avoid it. Besides, it's scandalous behavior, and that sort of thing becomes much more important later in life, in a work setting, etc.

B]

1. Neither of us are ugly, we just aren't each other's type. And appearances mean nothing! "Man looks at the outward appearance, but God looks on the heart."

2. Don't lie about what the Bible says. As a Christian I find that offensive. There is nowhere in the Bible that says what you are saying. And I don't really care about what culture says. Culture shouldn't set your moral standards. Friendship is more important than that, I think...

------------------

Can we have a cease-fire long enough to help me after these latest devellopments?

------------------

nitrologo.gif

Guest Redwing

But he started it! j/k

Okay, cease-fire, I guess biggrin.gif (though I don't see how he can back up his argument...oops never mind wink.gif )

------------------

i think it would be perfectly fine for a man to go to a movie with a woman who was not his wife!! i think that is a ridiculous statement to say that it is impossible to have a platonic relationship with a member of the opposite sex. i personally have a friend where he and i feel more like brother and sister than anything else. it is absolutely inconcievable to either of us that we could "hook up." and neither of us is horribly unattractive.

Keep in mind that males feel sexual attraction in a different and much stronger way than females (mostly). I have never in all my 20 years observed a truly platonic relationship between a male and a female (with the exceptions I have noted above). I suggest that if you think you are involved in such a relationship, you are just fooling yourself. HOWEVER - I am not talking about behavior here, and this might be where the misunderstanding comes in. I'm talking about urges and compulsions and the very basics of human biology. All I know is, I would never meet another woman (alone) for a non-business reason if I were married (or dating one girl, with an understanding that that is so). I think that is about the most insensitive thing one human being could do to another. I know many people who have been hurt by things just like this. I am quite frankly amazed that I am more or less alone in this. I will look into the situation further and report my findings to you all.

So, Andy, if whenever you're married and your husband decides to go to a movie with some other woman, you're not going to have the slightest suspicion that something is going on?

Not trying to be disrespectful, but out of all the people here, I know you the best and I know a few things about you that you probably don't realize, and this knowledge makes your last comment extremely weak in my eyes. ESPECIALLY after my counter just above this paragraph.

Guys want to f00k ever attractive woman they see. What stops them? Common decency(and pepper spray). If a guy goes to the movies with a non-spouse female, he's not going to shtoop her any more than he would a random attractive female he sees while walking down the street with is wife.

------------------

You're supposed to be dumpster-diving for ham scraps, you six-piece chicken McNobody!

Official forum Psychic

Suppose you're married and your wife wants to go to a movie with some other guy. You're going to just let her and not think about it at all?

Marriage isn't just dating here people. There's things you do and things you don't do. One of those things is to do things on your own with a member of the opposite sex that is also on their own. Unless you have some superhuman sense of absolute trust (or are incredibly stupid), only then can you find this to be absolutely acceptable behavior.

It's quickly becoming apparent to me that the only adults here are Keyan and I.

Originally posted by Nute Gunray:

Suppose you're married and your wife wants to go to a movie with some other guy. You're going to just let her and not think about it at all?

If I didn't trust someone enough to leave them alone with a guy for 2 hours, I wouldn't marry her.

------------------

You're supposed to be dumpster-diving for ham scraps, you six-piece chicken McNobody!

Official forum Psychic

I have to side with Keyan and Nute. ANd Redwing, while I have no proof what Keyan is saying sounds VERY VERY familiar to me and I think it came from my moms bsf stuff....I recognize it and believe it to have a biblical source, and, Keyan really doesnt ever lie......

As for platonic relationships...I was in no way attracted to my good friend stacey, no real sexual tension on the surface, then we got drunk and made out......it was there, no one had realized it yet thats all.

Don't get me wrong here - I'm not saying that anything would happen or that I would not trust my spouse and good friend to behave themselves. It's just that that situation should never come up. It's a way of steering clear of trouble instead of trying to get out of it later. And hey - nobody's perfect; we can be weak people sometimes. It's best we don't tempt ourselves. And, as I said, it's just common respect to your husband or wife not to go around with other members of the opposite sex.

About the Bible thing - I was going to quote the verse, but I am afraid that would cause a Catholic/Protestant issue, so I'd rather just stay clear of that, unless somebody out there really wants to know it. I will say, though, that any priest will tell you the same thing.

So, keep in mind - I'm not talking about proper behavior, here.

Guest Redwing

So, no Biblical source then. Just vague reference. I don't care about other people's random cultural standards. This culture is completely sexed up, so they aren't exactly valid anyway.

Tell me exactly where the Bible says you should not be friends with a person of the opposite sex if engaged/married/dating (or the equivalent) another unless they are extremely ugly or very old.

------------------

Archived