Home

Enterprise

Nute Gunray

I liked it. I will watch it again.

btw, what city was that that they panned early in the episode? I noticed a couple of buildings that looked familiar, like the Transamerica Building from San Francisco and a building that look oddly like one of the WTC towers. I'm not familiar with the SF skyline. Is there such a building in SF? Also, the BRIDGE in the background didn't look like anything I've seen in pics of SF.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nute, I think the city was meant to be Frisco (Earth's capitol, and all that). Bear in mind, it'd be Frisco as it would be in 20*mumble*, not today.

I liked it. It was well-written, well-casted (Bakula actually makes a very good captain), and had the best FX I've seen in Star Trek short of the movies themselves (the subari were stunning). The Enterprise also looked good; suitably primitive (warp 4.5?!? I be inclined to get out and walk to Quo'NoS).

I only had two real problems: the gratuitous erotica scene between T'Pol & Whats-his-name, and the seeming endorsement of humanity's arrogance and irrationality (I think the vulcans were right; humans still have a lot to learn before they should be allowed out of the system).

Once again, the writer/producers have shown their willingness to throw away dignity and character in the name of the Almighty Ratings-Grab. Vulcans are touch-telepaths; T'Pol should have at least shied away from the back-rub.

'Tis a bonny show --but it's no' Star Trek!

------------------

"Don't f_ck with the Jedi Master, son." --Mark Hamill

THe whole T'pol erotic scene ruined it's Credibility.

Vulcans would ahve never allowed a human to be able to touch them in that way. ANd there was no reason for the close ups of T'pols body, except to excite the sex starved Trek nerds.

From the Early early Orignial Trek episode (jsut before kirk captained the enterprise) it took 2 people working the transporters.

How the heck did that girl create a Translator program for Klingonese from a recoding of klingon speak? Or even be able to speak it?

I sat back and realized if this show did not have the words "Star Trek" on it, it would have failed.

Guest Hans The Great

That was the best premiere episode for a Star Trek show. I liked the show (I'm more surprised that it was actually that good). The Vulcan shower scene was an obvious ratings grab but the rest of the show good enough to make me forget about that. I'll watch it again.

Originally posted by K_Kinnison:

From the Early early Orignial Trek episode (jsut before kirk captained the enterprise) it took 2 people working the transporters.

How the heck did that girl create a Translator program for Klingonese from a recoding of klingon speak? Or even be able to speak it?

1) a more complex machine requires more people. One person flew the Wright Brother's plane, but it takes a crew of three to work the Concorde.

2) It was probably a device provided by the Vulcans. And as for speaking it, she was probably doing what I did when I learned spanish: reading phonetics. the little handheld thing probably said KUH-PLAH on it instead of Qa'pla or however it's spelled.

Guest Borg Collective

It was somewhat interesting to see a familiar face.

Species 642 (self-designation: suliban). First assimilated on stardate 32546.9, on the romulan edge of the Neutral Zone. We have never encountered them since, so it is possible that the species is extinct.

A primitive species, but their genetic augmentation proved worthy of assimilation. Their lung design was retained for emergency use, and their compound retinas increased the efficiency of borg occular scanners.

Unfortunately, their flexibility and acrobatic abilities proved impossible to incorporate into non-suliban drones.

------------------

Resistance is futile.

I too thought the first episode was pretty good.It's good to see Bakula back in action. I had a couple little problems here and there, but this was a lot better than some of the oyager shows smile.gif

------------------

"Here, people don't lock their doors, they deadbolt them, and then stick a chair under the knob."

ThRaWn90,RAL_Thrawn,SOB_Thrawn

Rogue 6

I thought Voyager sucked A LOT. No episode of Voyager was truly great (although I've probably seen less than a quarter of them, so that may have something to do with why I think that). The only one I really loved was the one where the doctor decides to save Harry instead of some other person, even though they had identical injuries. The other crew member died, and the doctor's program couldn't take it so they had to erase those memories (but he found out about it, of course). It kind of reminded me of that Deep Space 9 episeode where everyone seems to be conspiring against O'Brien, but at the end you find out that it wasn't really O'Brien. Pretty cool.

[This message has been edited by Keyan Farlander (edited September 28, 2001).]

Guest garyah99

I actually enjoyed Voyager. It was Star Trek with a twist. The only thing that bothered me was that Janeway seemed a little unstable to be a Star Fleet captain. She stuck to Prime Directive well enough, but fairly often allowed emotions to cloud her judgment. Especially with totally evil races like the Vidians (remember the ones with the "Phage" that stole organs from other people?)I always thought that she should have blown the snot out of every Vidian ship they encountered instead of "warn 'em, avoid 'em, let 'em go". I tought "Enterprise" was awesome. Just enough primitive technology to be pre-federation, yet just enough technology to make a viable space program. The first generation phasers, transporters, and shuttle craft were acceptable, I really like the design of the Enterprise itself, and I REALLY liked the introduction of a "myserious nemesis" that will probably be around for a while. As far as the decontamination scene goes, I didn't really think it was a big deal. I mean, it's set 90 years after "First Contact" which puts it at about the year 2141, and I don't think T'Pol and the other guy would really think twice about it. Besides, of all the away team, they were the only two that were infected with the bug. Who else was there to decontaminate them? They would have to do it themselves. I didn't even think of it as an erotic scene, just something that would have to be done in the case of a biological contaminant. The same thing would happen today if a male and female were together in the case of a biological weapon attack. In any case, I enjoyed the show. The only Star Trek series I really didn't like was Deep Space 9.

The Voyager I enjoyed the most was the one with Belanna not wanting her baby to be part klingon. It was a human story for once. The best DS9 was the one when they were back in the 1950s out of makeup. That was just good fun. I can't remember most of the TNG ones, though I hope to watch them since they're showing them again starting in October.

DS, it's on UPN on Weds at 8

------------------

"Here, people don't lock their doors, they deadbolt them, and then stick a chair under the knob."

ThRaWn90,RAL_Thrawn,SOB_Thrawn

Rogue 6

Guest Jabba The Hunt

Why couldnt I have been born american Sky One are still in final negotiations with Paramount frown.gif

------------------

"Getting Drunk is great you should try it sometime"

"I did once, I just cant remember if I enjoyed it or not"

jabbathehunt@hotmail.com

I had some real problems with Voyager, but I didn't really dislike it until "Endgame" (the finale). As bad as Star Trek gets, I still watch it for several reasons.

First, I'm a character writer. You could have an entire show based around two vulcans and a bajoran hanging around Ten-Forward, and I'd watch it if the characters were interesting (i.e., if they're people I'd be willing to hang out with in real life).

Second, the Star Trek setting has a huge amount of potential, moreso than the writers seem to realize. I'd give anything to be in charge of the continuity, just for the types of stories that can be told there. It's rare, but every now and then we'll see an episode or two that actually manages to touch that potential (like DS9's "Far Beyond The Stars," or Voyager's "Distant Origin").

Third, I'm a perpetual outsider. As a kid, I had no real friends who wouldn't stab me in the back for a quick thrill. It was the same from Kindergarten to University; I'm on the outside looking in. I'm the only one who sees the world the way I do, the only one who believes what I do.

In all of human history, both in reality and in fiction, I've only ever found one group that I'd be comfortable in. One group who thinks and acts like I would. One group with the same values and morals. The only organization I'd ever actually be proud to be associated with is Starfleet.

Y'see, my problem with most of Star Trek is that it's forced to play be the same rules as everything else on TV; ratings = success. If the ratings are high, the show is "good," if the ratings go down, then the show has to reinvent itself or be cancelled.

Heck, the whole ratings concept is as a way to judge what shows are the most successful at giving the audience what they want.

Star Trek, at its best, isn't about giving people what they want. In fact, it's just the opposite: Star Trek should be about dealing with the issues no one wants to deal with, asking the questions no one else dares to ask.

This is why the original series became such a grand part of human culture (not just American culture, either). Star Trek series should be the one environment where being cancelled should be counted as a point of honour. It means you're doing something right; you're ruffling feathers, you're forcing people to take a long, hard look at themselves and think.

<small>'Course, I'm not real fond of the America-centric attitudes, but that's just minor.</small>

------------------

"Don't f_ck with the Jedi Master, son." --Mark Hamill

well said beastie.

Favorite Voyager Epidose was the ones that focused on the Doctor. Very interesting Character.

Voyager failed becasue they couldn't follwo thier own rules. A 70 year voyage took less then 5. THe HOlodeck was used too much for a long term voyager (does anyone realzie how much energy a holodeck uses?)

ds9 couldn't be what it wanted to be, it was trying to be a B5 clone. but since Berman doesn't carewhat the writers write, it failed. my favorite epidose was "House of Quark" and "Our Man Bashir"

T:NG WAsn't interesting until they were able to stop mirroring what TOS did and do thier own stuff. about season 3. Favorite episode was "Tin Man"

I will wait until the first season to make my verdit on weather "Enterpise" succeds or fails

Archived