Home

Swedish Hackers

Lantzen

Swedish hackers is getting revange after the goverment shuted down piratebay. After presure from USA, the Swedish goverment shutetdown the world famous site Piratebay, the site have now move to Netherland, and are up running again. The hackers have shut down the swedish polic site two times now, and the goverments site have been shuted down for hours. And a speakman for the hackers say this is only the beginning.

What the hell is piratebay?

It is/was a BitTorrent tracker, a kind of search engine for files made available over BitTorrent. ThePirateBay didn't police or filter the resources they linked to, which made it possible to find copyrighted materials there that people shared, and not just files that are legal to distribute. Thus the swedish police attempted to shut down the service, since their servers were located in Sweden, after coming under pressure from the Music, Movie and Software industries to act.

The whole thing has caused a bit of an uproar though since what The Pirate Bay did isn't really illegal in Sweden, and on a technical level not too different from what Google does (i.e. a search engine for materials that others publish). There is also speculation that the order to shut down The Pirate Bay site came from the Department of Justice, which, if true, would be a violation of the swedish constitution since the politicians aren't allowed to meddle directly in the operation of the police and court system.

stoffe seems to know alot about this...? :xp:

Hard not to, since it's been frontpage stuff in the newspapers and talked about on the national TV news for the past few days over here. You'd have to be blind and deaf not to know about it. :)

It's a kind of interesting story to see how it develops, as it currently seems the industry and authorities have shot themselves in the foot rather than accomplish any real success with this whole operation. The sympathy, even in mainstream media, seems to lie with the Pirate Bay people. (The heavyhanded action by the police, confiscating all 300 servers at the ISP that hosted the servers of the Pirate Bay, yanking many innocent and unrelated businesses and organizations of the Net, certainly wasn't a textbook example of good PR either.)

If it was just a matter of shutting down a site illegally distributing copyrighted materials I wouldn't have been that bothered with it or been paying much attention. I buy my games, movies and music and haven't downloaded any "warez" since I was a teen, half a lifetime ago.

BitTorrent isn't a "warez network" though. It's a very handy form of distribution for software and data. It is misused to illegally distribute copyrighted works by some, but it's also a major distribution channel for free material, shareware and music of less known groups and artist without contracts with some record label. It's no more illegal than the world wide web or HTTP, which certainly is used to illegally distribute large amounts of copyrighted material as well.

This case seems to be that of the industry of megacorporations trying to eliminate alternate forms of distribution that threatens their near-monopoly stranglehold on the market, forcing artists and authors to use them to distribute their creations, rather than the new on-line channels that are forming. And I dislike when laws and government becomes the tools for megacorporations to screw over their customers, rather than defend the rights and reflect the will of the people that voted them into office in the first place.

It never ceases to amaze me how the record and movie industry are astonished by dropping sales when they at the same time are waging a war against their own customers. Stubbornly refusing to offer people what they want and then threaten them with legal action when they seek what they want from other sources doesn't exactly reek of intelligence or good business sense. :roleyess:

Archived