Home

Seti@Home V

Nitro

Guest Jabba The Hunt

what they need is a hyper button then my 1ghz machine could use its full power and beat anything r9 could throw at it. :p

------------------

"Its Going down his leg i think we are going to have to amputate.

"No, dont take the leg, dont let them take the leg, they cant take the leg!!!"

"Its heading for his testicles"

"Take it, take the leg!!!"

jabbathehunt@hotmail.com

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jabba The Hunt

no because your machines have others tasks to do!!!

------------------

"Its Going down his leg i think we are going to have to amputate.

"No, dont take the leg, dont let them take the leg, they cant take the leg!!!"

"Its heading for his testicles"

"Take it, take the leg!!!"

jabbathehunt@hotmail.com

• 3 weeks later...

OK!

I just got set up to do it at home. Not that my one lonely PIII is gonna make that big of a dent, but I guess every little bit helps.

I now have friends who owe me big in the IT dept. at work... If I can talk them into setting SETI up on some of the machines here... Heh heh heh! biggrin.gif

Actually now I don't even have to ask! I just went to the vending machine upstairs and passed one of the computer training labs along the way: 14 G4 Macs all crunching along with the SETI screensaver!

I'm setting up this iMac before I leave tonight, then I'll get to work on the other comps I have access to tomorrow!

I'm slowly building myself a beast of a comp... DUAL P3 1GHZ AND A GIG OF RAM!!!

I know it's overkill, and it's gonna cost me about $1500 just for the mobo, ram, and CPUs, but HELL!!! Just think of the speed!

Thank god my income is about $1800 a month!

------------------

nitrologo.gif

nitro.gif Ryan "Nitro" Cole nitro.gif - The man who can fly anything with wings... And some things without...

"If they could get a washing machine to fly, our Nitro could land it!"

Nitro, what are you doing with that kind of money? smile.gif

Just a little word to the wise...A different forum that I hang out at also has a Seti team and a team for something called RC5. Well one of the guys who was cracking RC5 loaded the client at the place he worked. I think it was a colage, he was an IT tech. Well ,someone found out and he lost his job and is getting sued for 40,000 and faces 10 years in prison. The school figured they lost 50 cents for every second he had it running on their PCs.

So all to say, I hope you guys are getting permission from someone besides the janitor to load it. Some people don't take to kindly to stuff being loaded that is not work related no matter how little energy it takes to run...

Well, we have been told by IT to leave our PCs on 24/7 for back-up purposes, which I have (and as far as I know everybody has) done for the last year. Since the lab upstairs with the all computers running SETI is the IT training and support lab, I think they would be hard pressed to keep it a secret, but like I said I have a couple of friends there and I will double check before going any further.

I looked up the school's results under http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_29854.html They're doing pretty well, and I don't think the've been at it that long. But then they have a lot of top-model G3 and G4s running all night with nothing else to do. In my department alone we have at least 8 systems (Macs and PCs) that don't do anything for most of the day, but burn around the clock anyways.

But better safe than sorry, Gunner. Thanks for the concern.

[This message has been edited by edlib (edited September 05, 2001).]

Guest Rogue 9

I added a 1 Ghz Athlon to my Seti Group, which is now listed as Rogue Squadron on the team page btw biggrin.gif thats another of my personal machines

I just don't want you to get your butt in a sling Rouge 9, that's all. smile.gif

I woulddd love to load it here at work as in my building we have at least 50-60 PCs and most all of them are P3 933s that the company just got from Dell. But when I log on at night it says in big letters across my screen, "this PC is for company use only ,yada yada yada" so I figure that means no SETI. I would love to load Half-Life though. smile.gif

Guest Rogue 9

the only other people that could figure out what seti is are ok with me having it on company machines, it is an educational experiment in parellel processing after all biggrin.gif

Well, I've convinced everyone else in my department to run the program,... but they all want to do so under thier names, so I can't get the units completed under my name. frown.gif

But they are willing to listen to my suggestions as to what group to join,... so if you see some unknown and unusual names on the list in the next few days, you'll know where they came from. biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, that will make my PIII 933 at home, my iMac at work, a PIII 866, 2 G3 Macs, and a pair of PIIs (don't know what speed). There may be more. I'll keep at it.

All these systems run 24/ 7 for the most part, and have about 4 or 5 busy hours a day.

[This message has been edited by edlib (edited September 13, 2001).]

hmmm I may have to get another lab up here lest my climb begin to slow....I got one english techer interested that room would add 25 units every 3 days if I follow through on it...or I could start runnning that cancer research one in there.

Eh.

Doesn't worry me in the least.

Half the time I post from work I'm sitting in his office anyway... after all, he has the PIIIs and the G3s. biggrin.gif

We are not exactly an "office-work intensive" group.

We are the stage managers and house sound and lighting guys for the college's concert halls, and as such we don't have much in the way of "sit-behind-a-desk-or-at-a-computer-terminal-all-day" type of work. We are busy when there are shows. When there aren't we get the student work-study crew to do maintainance in the rooms, or, if there's none of that, we sit around the office listening to the radio and surfing the net.

We are working on salary, so we often need to be there on days when there are no events, but there isn't much to do on those days.

My boss often spends all day downloading free games and demos for his little girl's computer at home.

He could hardly get mad at me for posting to a bulletin board.

Yeh.

Every day I go in and say to myself "I can't believe I get paid for this!"

But when we do get busy WE ARE SWAMPED!!!!

It more than makes up for the time when things are slow.

Here's a link to a webcast of a show I was lighting designer for. (I know the credits say LD: Warren Johnson, but he got food poisoning before the first rehearsal, and I had to jump in and take over. Moving light programming and operation was done by my buddy Joe Haller.)

http://www.berklee.edu/html/ab_commwebcast.html

The Real Player format streams the best.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Rogue 9

hehe I just got a utility that lets me crank Seti's thread priority up and remove it from the systray so you can't tell its running...now all I need is the time to add it to the P3 Lab biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Not a peep...

Anyone up for another massive online manhunt?

------------------

nitrologo.gif

nitro.gif Ryan "Nitro" Cole nitro.gif - The man who can fly anything with wings... And some things without...

"If they could get a washing machine to fly, our Nitro could land it!"

Archived