Home

Seti@Home V

Nitro

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pumping packets when I get the chance, but ever since we got broadband, dad's über paranoid about leaving the computer on... Like someone would want to h@x0Rz my system to get at his tax files... He's like Fox Mulder with a jar of oil. (You'll have to think wayyyy back to get that one, kiddies)

------------------

nitrologo.gif

nitro.gif Ryan "Nitro" Cole nitro.gif - The man who can fly anything with wings... And some things without...

"If they could get a washing machine to fly, our Nitro could land it!"

While that'll give me peace of mind, it won't do much for my dad... He doesn't realise that anyone with enough skill/time to hack through a firewall, ISN'T GOING TO DO ANYTHING TO US!

------------------

nitrologo.gif

nitro.gif Ryan "Nitro" Cole nitro.gif - The man who can fly anything with wings... And some things without...

"If they could get a washing machine to fly, our Nitro could land it!"

I just thought of solution 3: Pull the cable out at night! Nobody can hack a system that isn't connected to the net. I do this from time to time when running defrag. I shut down all my programs in the background including anti-virus and firewall so it will go faster.

I just pull the eithernet cable out of the network card so I'm not vunerable.

It might be worth a try running it past dad.

Well I am now down to 2 PCs. I just removed it from my folks over the weekend. They have been having problems with their PC so SETI only ran for breif periods of time anyway so I just decided to delete it. Now I'll just see if I can get to 4000 before tagt passes me. frown.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hey, how many people here are still doing this?

It seems to have fallen out of popularity. :(

I just checked our results at the XWA Seti page and it seems there's just a handful of us left pumping out packets. And what happened to Gunner's and Rogue9's (not Nine) results? I think they left us.

Bummer. And here I was thinking that maybe we should expand to try to get everyone from the entire Lucasforums network interested,.. perhaps starting a new LF group.

The ECCp-109 is a code-breaking challenge, where a discrete logarithmic problem has to be solved. The DPC currently holds the 1st place in the stats of this project. I joined them to help to keep the 1st place, and for the prize money of course :)Here 's some more info.

The Dutch Power Cows is a clan of (mostly) Dutch teams competing in distributed computing projects, like Seti@home, RC5-64, ECCp-109, Genome@home and a few others.

Info on the various projects: http://www.ductchpowercows.org

DPC forum: http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_topics/5

Archived