Home

Cinematic (bik) Question

rgdelta

Let me proceed this with I understand importing assets from 1 game to another is illegal and against the rules all I need to know is this. Is it legal to do what I am saying all I need is a yes no or don't know.

I was wondering if it was legal if I setup a cutscene in TSL and capture it to a movie and make it a bik for a cinametic in K1 if it is not Legal that is fine I just wanted to clarify it as technically I am not importing any assets from another game I am filiming a sequence to include in another game.

If you own both games and dont intend on distibuting the mod, just do it. Im not sure if that is illegal or not, seems to be a grey area, but if you own both games and dont intend on producing the mod, then i wouldnt say its illegal, as the law is basically there to stop people from getting content they havent payed for.

Is it legal to do what I am saying all I need is a yes no or don't know.

I was wondering if it was legal if I setup a cutscene in TSL and capture it to a movie and make it a bik for a cinametic in K1 if it is not Legal that is fine I just wanted to clarify it as technically

Don't know. :) I'm no lawyer, but as I see it since you aren't actually porting any assets from one game to the other if you include a BIK video of a fraps capture or something from another game. Provided your movie doesn't include any music from TSL, at least, and don't transfer one of the BIKs that come with TSL already instead of making your own. Technically you'd just show a large series of screenshots from TSL with your KotOR1 mod.

Sounds about as "legal" as 99% of the content on Google Video and YouTube to me (which admittedly can be rather questionable :)). You'll find screen captured in-game movies from a lot of games on those sites, and as far as I can see nobody has screamed bloody murder about it yet. ;)

A PM I sent a while ago:

Sorry if I am about to join the countless millions who go to you regarding the legality of doing certain things.

I have two questions:

1) If I script a cutscene on a KotOR I module, to be recorded, changed to .bik, and then placed in KotOR II: TSL; would that be considered as porting? I would image so, but I want to make sure before I rule anything out.

{Snipped irrelevant question}

Thank you

Pavlos

Yes, that would be considered porting.

Regards,

Darth333

I admit I was dissapointed, but Darth333 knows better than most of us here with regards to law issues.

I would have to agree with stoffe in this case (however I too am no lawyer)

Darth333 may have just seen "cutscene" in your PM.. which in all points in cases would be porting since you have to have the models, dlg. and game assets available in order to construct it.. but since you're doing that "at home" then compiling it into a .bik movie... well, like stoffe said... it's no worse than moving screenshots IMO...

And just to emphasize stoffe's comments: Be VERY CAREFUL not to include any music or original TSL .bik footage in your .bik file...

Darth333 may have just seen "cutscene" in your PM.. which in all points in cases would be porting since you have to have the models, dlg. and game assets available in order to construct it.. but since you're doing that "at home" then compiling it into a .bik movie... well, like stoffe said... it's no worse than moving screenshots IMO...

I don't understand what you mean, ChAiNz...

Whatever way you do it, you will always be using assets from one game to display in another, even if it is recorded.

But you're not providing those assets to the player that may not have access to TSL.. you're only providing a movie file that the player can do 1 of 2 things with it..

Play it or delete it...

I honestly can't see this as any worse than me submitting screenshots for Mac's Billboard Mod. Yeah, my screenshots were of custom mods, but they were from KotOR sent into a TSL game...

Like I said though, I'm no lawyer... but I'm having a hard time understanding why this would be called porting? It doesn't provide any assets to the user that would compromise TSL or KotOR as far as moddable material not meant to be messed with...

A .bik movie is just that.. a compiled movie. Nothing really you can do to it other than rip the audio and play a cutscene on your iPod if you were bored ;)

I'm not meaning to sound defensive, I'd just really like to know the "for sure's" so that none of us make a horrible mistake now or in the future :)

I was thinking the same thing as stoffe but was not sure that is why I asked and yes this would be for a mod I will be distributing (can't give more specifics without ruining things) and no the music would not be TSL music I would be using K1 music only and K1 sound effects.

Chainz is a mod and would know the answer more then anything but Darth333's answer makes me pause so until I get a definate answer I may perpare the bik cinematic but not include it until I know for sure.

Chainz is a mod and would know the answer more then anything but Darth333's answer makes me pause so until I get a definate answer I may perpare the bik cinematic but not include it until I know for sure.

Well.. to be safe, let's take Darth333's advice for now ;)

I'm sure she knows quite a bit more about law than I ever will.. hehehe...

Though I do think this is a valid example of what is considered "porting" I'd rather not have the LA "suits" coming in full fury :eek: Still, I'd like to keep the discussion about this particular instance open until we can find out 'for sure' if this would be an acceptable practice...

We all know my vote and opinion on it, but well, my opinion and a quarter will get you nothing but a cheesy toy in a gumball machine :xp:

Archived