Home

What if KOTOR3 Never happens

DarkLord152

Sure people will buy it. As for making "enough money," we don't know, because we don't have Lucasarts market research of insight into their financials.

Remember, they are a business, so they're goal is to maximize profit. Yes, making KOTOR 3 will make a lot of money. But how much will it cost to make? A lot more than other types of games, by the very nature of RPGs. So how big is the profit margin? Only they know what that might be. Is it worth it? We don't know that either.

Then they would look at the alternatives. What else could they spend their money on and what profit would they get from that? Making another type of game might not result in as many units sold, but if it much cheaper to develop, then their overall profits could still be higher. They would then choose to make that game instead at this point in time. For example, I would expect Lego Star Wars to be less expensive to make, but have similar sales, and thus be more profitable.

Selling a lot of games is simply not enough.

good point.

And I've allredy heard of a new Lucasarts published Next Gen Game for the 360. (Something about Darth Vader) but this will also cost a lot of money, because they have to develope new graphic- and physic-engines. Anyway, I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT K3!!

I' ve also heard about a new futuristic RPG of Obsidian, but it has nothing to do with SW...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lego Star Wars compared to KOTOR? > . <......I dunno about that...Even if Lego Star Wars was less expensive to manufature, i'm going to have to go with KOTOR on the bigger money maker.

In no way is this true. There is not one single evidence that points to this statement being true.

KotOR is an RPG, marketed for a teenage and older audience. It's a relatively long game, with a lot of dialogue and a combat system relying on tactics rather then button-mashing. It was released on two platforms, PC and XBox.

Lego Star Wars is an action game/platformer, marketed for all audiences. It's a short game, with a lot of action and a combat system relying on the player's skill rather then his tactics. It was released on three platforms, PC, XBox and PS2.

Just looking at these elements (written at midnight while I'm really tired), you can see that Lego Star Wars automatically touches a much larger audience then KotOR. The market is therefore larger, the potential buyers more numerous (simply releasing it on PS2, best selling console of its generation, should be a decent enough indicator). Considering that Lego Star Wars was both a critical and popular success, we can guess that it sold a lot more and made a lot more profit then KotOR.

Is Lego Star Wars II cheaper to make then KotOR3? Certainly. Being a much "smaller" game, it does not require the same amount of effort put into it to come up with a good product. Hey, there doesn't even need to be any voice actors since the brick characters don't talk. Cost automatically lower.

Will it sell better then a KotOR3 and make more profit? Who knows, as the game is not even released yet. Though the previews are encouraging, there is simply no way of properly predicting a game's success. It could bomb and bring very meager profits or become the best-selling Star Wars game of all time.

Eewww

"In no way is this true. There is not one single evidence that points to this statement being true."

Never said it was true dude, It was just my opinon. Thanks for the insight on it though > . <

Besides the forums not on wheather Lego Star Wars or KOTOR is better, I was just trying to prove that a KOTOR 3 would actually make a large profiet if it sold, profiet enough to cover the compeltion of the game, and mabye profeit enough to be one of the higher selling Lucas Arts games. ^>^

:smash:

• 2 weeks later...
Sure people will buy it. As for making "enough money," we don't know, because we don't have Lucasarts market research of insight into their financials.

Remember, they are a business, so they're goal is to maximize profit. Yes, making KOTOR 3 will make a lot of money. But how much will it cost to make? A lot more than other types of games, by the very nature of RPGs. So how big is the profit margin? Only they know what that might be. Is it worth it? We don't know that either.

Then they would look at the alternatives. What else could they spend their money on and what profit would they get from that? Making another type of game might not result in as many units sold, but if it much cheaper to develop, then their overall profits could still be higher. They would then choose to make that game instead at this point in time. For example, I would expect Lego Star Wars to be less expensive to make, but have similar sales, and thus be more profitable.

Selling a lot of games is simply not enough.

Couldnt you just raise the game price then if so but not raise it too high that gamers couldnt buy it?

TSL was rushed like crazy, and people were a little dissatisfied. That's why it is taking sooo to find info on KOTOR III, not because it's not happening, but because they are taking their time to finish it for us fans. TSL was done quicker because it was virtually the same engine and really none of the faults of KOTOR were fixed. III has more room, with the new system stuff, to work with, and (I'm assuming, that's why it's taking sooo long) a brand new engine.

I dont' mean that LA is rigourously working on it RIGHT now. I mean, it's something in the baby stages of development, I'd doubt they'd wait till now to actually start. But your right, they are preoccupied. I wasnt trying to say they were almost done, I'm saying they are in no rush

Ya, you're probalaly right..

• 2 months later...

Archived