Home

HUD :)

_PlasmA_

Well while on an OJP server with Maxstate I let slip that I was going through the MB2 gfx and replacing them just for a laugh so he asked me to make a ojp hud.

I've finished all the graphics for the hud but the UI files arn't done yet but I think UDM is doing them.

Here's a mockup pic I did of what it will look like once the Ui has been finished:

hudmockupcd8.jpg

Well while on an OJP server with Maxstate I let slip that I was going through the MB2 gfx and replacing them just for a laugh so he asked me to make a ojp hud.

I've finished all the graphics for the hud but the UI files arn't done yet but I think UDM is doing them.

Here's a mockup pic I did of what it will look like once the Ui has been finished:

hudmockupcd8.jpg

Can we have one-colored bars for Force and DP? :p

Looking good man, ew @ the sabers though :p

They look a bit .. big, will they be that big ingame or will they be a bit smaller? Also, maybe you should set the opacity lower for the metal parts so they're see through if it gets too big ;0

Yeah it's very nice, I agree with Max for the suggestions as well. Would be nicer if DP n force were of 2 colors, and if they could be smaller

I guess this means I don't have to work with you already eh...

Looks nice, but seems a bit too big.

@Paro, You can edit that in the UI i think because when I put left hud in game it always is smaller than that.

@Maxstate, I'll edit the sabers later on.

@UDM, I'll do a different colour for the dp as well.

I like the hud so far, but I agree that it might be an issue with the hud taking up too much of the screen.

Secondly, is there an indicator for a player's shield level?

Third, I'd personally like to have numberical values (in addition to guages) for the player's force power, dodge, mishap levels, etc just so the player has a more accurate idea of how much they have left.

Finally, along those lines, I'd have more segments to the meters so that they'll decrease more fluidly. We've already had problems with the current gauges not doing that well enough.

As for the actual coding, I can help with that if you can contact me so we can coordinate our work.

I like the hud so far, but I agree that it might be an issue with the hud taking up too much of the screen.

Third, I'd personally like to have numberical values (in addition to guages) for the player's force power, dodge, mishap levels, etc just so the player has a more accurate idea of how much they have left.

Finally, along those lines, I'd have more segments to the meters so that they'll decrease more fluidly. We've already had problems with the current gauges not doing that well enough.

As for the actual coding, I can help with that if you can contact me so we can coordinate our work.

2:Yes, it's the circular thing around the little man on the left.

3: We've asked for it, it's coming soon I hope :)

Everyones saying how big the hud is but I used the same dimensions (256x256) as the original JKA hud but as I said before it can be resized with the UI.

Yes there is, its the green numerical value, not the circle thing around the player although I guess I could just make those things tics for the armour if you really want it like that.

There is a numerical value for FP but I'll add space for it in the other two.

More segments can be easily done I can just split one bar into 10 rather than 4 (I only did 4 because that was what it is like originally).

I'll probably get round to doing all these changes tomorrow then I'll get into contact with you.

10 segments sounds right.

As for the mishap bar, it only uses 16 positions (0-15) so the meter can reflected that.

Using the circle around the dude as the shield indicator sounds good. For the player's health, we could make the little dude turn red as he gets damaged. But, like I said before, I think it is a good idea to make all the players have numberical values for their attributes in addition to the graphical indicators.

I think it is a good idea to make all the players have numberical values for their attributes in addition to the graphical indicators.

Even better is to have an option to choose either the graphics or just numbers or both. Personally I'm a lot better at following numbers than graphics.

Screenies of a fully working hud here:

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/293/shot0006yu9.jpg

k so I lied I only have 1 pic. Then again, 1 pic speaks a thousand words. I'm currently finishing up on the HUD, but I need Razor's help with the code first to create the disappearing transition for the tics (the blocks that make up force and dodge, that's why you see the bars being very empty for the bottom half)

Plasma and I are t3h pwn4g3 team! lol. And thanks Razor for the help too

-added-

I'm also having a liiiiitle problem. Check out this thread here

http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2156589&postcount=4

I'll give anyone who can figure out this problem a big fat kiss. That artifact is really annoying me...

Screenies of a fully working hud here:

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/293/shot0006yu9.jpg

k so I lied I only have 1 pic. Then again, 1 pic speaks a thousand words. I'm currently finishing up on the HUD, but I need Razor's help with the code first to create the disappearing transition for the tics (the blocks that make up force and dodge, that's why you see the bars being very empty for the bottom half)

Plasma and I are t3h pwn4g3 team! lol. And thanks Razor for the help too

-added-

I'm also having a liiiiitle problem. Check out this thread here

http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2156589&postcount=4

I'll give anyone who can figure out this problem a big fat kiss. That artifact is really annoying me...

Nice.

Artifact: There's probably a line you missed somewhere, try to select the troubled then de-light with ctrl + U. If that doesn't work, scrape off a line of pixels from the most left side of the hud.

Maybe it's just my monitor, but based on the screenshot, I think the shield indicator (the number) is VERY hard to read. It's too low contrast with the light green and the light gray background.

I think the size issue isn't the size of the HUD per say (physical space taken up on screen) but rather the amount of it that is just empty space (gray dectoration, rather than actual hud information). I think it would be best to make the HUD info itself take up as much of the HUD space as possible to make it the most visually noticable, and make the numbers high contrast enough so they can be instantly made out. If you have to squint for a second to see how much you have of something, that's annoying, and potentially fatal. Otherwise, looks good!

You're right kurgan it is definately hard to read based on the screenshot. Esp with me because i have CRT monitor :doh:

IMO, this hud is one of the best i've seen (and there are many more things that are not shown in this shot):

http://www.planetwolfenstein.com/enemyterritory/maps/oasis.jpg

hell, i say scrap the graphical hud and use the text hud only :rolleyes:

Its much easier to read at ful screen; however, the green armor numbers and the blue force numbers are a bit hard because they blend in too well with the background. I would suggest either making the numbers a darker color or making the back ground box the numbers are in black or something the makes them easily intelligable.

Ensiform: I know what you mean, but a text hud would only work in pure FPS games though, because OJP is about complexity. I find it more useful to look at the FP/DP bar than to look at numbers when in a life-death situation, because I can quickly estimate my combat stance. So I really don't think a text HUD would cut it here. But if everyone wants it, I can quickly whip up one in my spare time

Kurgan: I've had concerns about this from Razor too. Tell you guys what, pm me and I'll give you my MSN, then send you the HUD, then you can feedback more easily

Paro: ?

Nice.

Artifact: There's probably a line you missed somewhere, try to select the troubled then de-light with ctrl + U. If that doesn't work, scrape off a line of pixels from the most left side of the hud.

No man, I've checked many times., and tried all means and ways to clear the side. It's still there...

Archived