Home

[FIC]Heart of Deception

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for the wait. I have one rule that I follow: I don't post the next chapter unless there is a chapter between the one I post and the one I am working on. I have been busy and I have had writer's block but now I am good. Here is the next chapter. It is a break inthe story to address problems within the core worlds.

Chapter 13

Coruscant was full of bustle as it normally was; the air traffic was nonstop. Few people had time or the patience to appreciate the morning. This morning was no exception as the senators filed in, some sleepily, to their places. Ever since that incident where Kirabaros said that Avalon wouldn’t give up Revan to no one, there have been a lot of sessions, some behind the doors to demand why or a showing of Kirabaros to explain. Senator Amstar maintained an expression of calm that would have been worthy of the Jedi as she walked in flanked by Caelos and Rowan along with Cora to her spot.

Caelos was nervous since this was his first assignment alone, well, at least one of high priority. After the incident at the landing platform, his friend and mentor, Kirabaros had ordered a sweep of the senator’s quarters and checked the security system himself. He left Caelos to reassure the senator and to make sure no unauthorized personnel entered. Lucky for him, no more attempts on the senator had been made but that didn’t that he had to stop being wary of his surroundings. Often he looked to Rowan for advice when he couldn’t find an answer.

The old warrior impressed him to no end. Rowan had met Kirabaros when he led the daring rescue mission for the Lady Governor. Caelos was completing his training at the time but he had kept tabs on the progress of the war. That was how he found out that Jacen had fallen into the river and died and Kirabaros was born. Rowan was more of a conservative warrior, preferring to play it safe in terms of tactics and didn’t take any unnecessary risks. Rowan was the aide to Darius when they pushed the Rashikian line back and they retrieved Lady Mara from the Garanga compound. Rowan lent a steadying presence to the whole scene as they took their respective seats. It remained long after the chancellor called the senate to order.

Senator Amstar practiced the meditative breathing that she had learned from her people as the chancellor called her forward. She maintained a stoic look that hid her emotions and thoughts well. It would become a look that would annoy all kinds of sentients that encountered Avalonians in the future for it had the maddeningly quality of appearing like a statue, impassive and cold looking. She stood tall and straight as a ramrod as she addressed the chancellor and the senate, “Members of the Republic, I understand that we have come here today to resolve the issue brought forth by one of Avalon’s honored warriors.”

“We want to know if Avalon will make do on her threat against anyone who tries to take Revan by force?” a voice interrupted.

Serena Amstar closed her eyes and reopened slowly after taking a breath. Why did you even say that Kirabaros? she thought as she said, “It is among our ancient laws that to whomever seeks refuge of any kind that they be protected. We have honored that law for centuries. It is strictly protection.”

“If it is protection, then why does Avalon refuse to admit they know where the Jedi Revan is?” the questioner asked again.

“I have to say that I do not possess the knowledge of Revan’s location.” Serena was growing weary of the whole gist of this. She remembered Kirabaros’ warning that they wouldn’t stop until they had Revan. As much as she didn’t want to believe it, she saw that there were many senators, mostly those from the Outer Rim, that wanted Revan tried for her crimes. She swallowed her sorrow that people still believed that the sweet woman who was a mother of a beautiful little girl was a monster that went on a conquest to conquer the galaxy.

“And what of Kirabaros? He led your people in the last war. Surely he must know,” a different voice sounded. It was getting difficult to tell who was questioning as the senators refused to move their booth.

“Kirabaros has returned to our world due to…” Serena began.

“This is outrageous! He has gone to warn her!” the questioner shouted. The statement caused a general cacophony that made it difficult to bring back to order by the chancellor.

Serena had pity on the poor man as he tried to show that the Republic could maintain good relations with the Jedi. She spoke much louder but couldn’t be heard. Instead it took a different voice to make the senators stop, “Must you speak such lies against someone who cannot defend himself?”

Everyone became quiet and all eyes were drawn to the short Jedi that had stood up behind Senator Amstar. He just stood there in the silence not saying anything. He just gazed at the senators, surprised at his own outspokenness and belatedly wondering what Bastila would say to him later. With all eyes on him he said, “Why do you content yourself to accuse others without having evidence presented?”

No one had an answer to the questions Caelos posed so Senator Amstar spoke up as if nothing had happened. She said, “He has gone in order to see if Jedi Revan would be willing to return to Republic space. It is the only way that she can return and she will be under our protection along the way.” Serena gazed intently at the chancellor who gave a slight nod. The rest of the Senate raised more questions that were answered in due time, allowing Caelos to take his seat again unnoticed.

The door to one of the room slammed shut at the Jedi Temple as Caelos walked in followed by Bastila. She asked angrily, “What were you thinking when you spoke out in the Senate?”

“I did what I thought was right and I’d do it again,” Caelos replied as he turned to face an angry Bastila.

“Do you have any idea what you have done by doing that?” Bastila was determined to get him to see what he did wrong. It failed with Kirabaros who was too independent and much like Revan to see fine lines when to him there were none.

“What I don’t understand is how you can let a body politic like them take the good name like Kirabaros and drag it through the dirt without one shred of evidence,” Caelos shot back, his voice rising.

“They were going to drag him into this whether we liked it or not. What you did is possibly damage the relationship that Avalon has with the Republic,” Bastila responded equally heated. Realizing that she was losing her temper, she began to recite the Jedi Code in her mind to calm her down. When she got control of herself she spoke much more calmly, “You may have put forth the idea that Avalon cannot keep tabs on their own people and their actions.”

“We are not weak if that’s what you are saying,” Caelos replied equally calm. He had managed to calm himself when he noticed Bastila doing the same. “We believe one is innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around. Besides Kirabaros knows what he is doing. He wouldn’t have gone back if it were other wise.”

Bastila smiled at the youthful face she had met before the liberation of Belos. He was too young to know the necessity of keeping your passions in check especially when those that you know came under the scrutiny of others. She replied, “You have passion and courage but you must understand that there are times when you have to bite back your feelings. You have to bear the insults, the jeering, anything they may say.”

“I see that you have to hide instead of face that what attacks you head on. The way of the Jedi follows the way of pacifism but there are times when you have to fight in order to maintain that delicate balance of the light and dark. If you hide, it only makes you weak in the long run,” Caelos replied honestly. Having been brought up in a culture where battle defines a warrior and the codes of honor dictated the actions of a warrior, it was difficult to contemplate why the Jedi would be slow to act.

Bastila saw that he would not understand. She left him to his own devices after a warning to keep his feelings hidden. She wondered how the boy came to be trained by the Avalonian Jedi when he obviously had little to no control over his personal feelings. She had forgotten that Kirabaros was once just like him but he lost that when he was seven and was tormented.

Caelos waited until Bastila left before sitting on one of the cushions. Sitting in a cross-legged position, he pulled out his communicator and flipped it on. He spoke, “Caelos here. I need to make sure that the new accommodations are in order.”

Chapter 14

“Well that was pleasant wasn’t it?” a voice sounded through the thick haze. It sounded like it came from Atton though Kirabaros was lost in his own thoughts.

Only I can hold all the keys. It is the only way.

“I don’t understand why they were a little more harsh than usual,” Carth was speaking but it was muffled.

The Order is dwindling even with the help of the Lost Jedi and Darius. They are the hope for the future.

“They wanted to be sure that Kirabaros was telling the truth. It is his honor against his accusers. It would be an insult if he were falsely accused,” Michaela was explaining.

But they are so young. Together though, they are desirable by whoever wants to rid us of the Jedi.

“This is a lot he is doing for me and I would like to thank him, if he were listening,” Revan was speaking.

The special place is ready and if…

“Ow. What was that for?” Kirabaros asked with annoyance dripping from his voice as he rubbed the back of his head. He had been snapped out of his thoughts by a Force induced smack to his head and it had hurt. He turned to face the group as they were headed to the hangar where the Ebon Hawk had been stored.

Revan feigned innocence as she said in a condescending manner, “Maybe if you had been paying attention, you would have seen which one of us had done it.” Her honey colored eyes were wide but they betrayed her mischievousness.

Seeing through her ‘innocence,’ Kirabaros replied with a smirk, “What I am seeing is someone who needs to be put over someone else’s knee and be taught a lesson.”

“Hey! I thought you promised not to delve into my memories anymore,” Revan retorted as her face began to flush with embarrassment much to the amusement of Carth.

“Actually I didn’t go mind probing. Someone who is twice as stubborn as me told me about a little adventure you had on a crowded little ship,” Kirabaros replied with a smoothness that he used when trying to get out of trouble.

“That ship wasn’t little. It was…” Revan had caught on the wrong end of the response since she was rather fond of the Ebon Hawk.

Everyone began to laugh at her and Kirabaros just stared at her with a wicked grin on his face. With his spleen vented, he changed the subject, “Well let’s make sure the ship is stocked. Shall we?” He smiled.

A hooded figure was watching the group as they headed to the main port where the ship was kept. This was his chance to get a feel as to how the great Kirabaros would fight. He had heard much of his abilities as a Jedi and a warrior but he was in for a well-deserved surprise. He motioned behind him and made hand movements to direct their positions. They took off to head them off and he waited until they passed him. He would follow from behind and cut off their retreat.

“I know you mean well Carth, but let’s face it: the Sojourn is a slow moving hunk of metal,” Kirabaros was speaking as if it were an obvious fact. When they had rounded the corner, he felt a sense of unease but didn’t voice it. It was slight so he didn’t want to make a mountain out of the issue.

“Well excuse me if the Republic doesn’t have the advantage in having Avalonian vessels in their fleet,” Carth responded good-naturedly.

“Aside from the obvious sizing problems, it can’t seem to counter fighters that come up from behind, the front and side to side,” Kirabaros glanced at Carth, catching his eye.

Carth gave a slight nod and getting a rather hard glint in his eyes, he replied, “I suppose you would be the expert seeing as you can spot any kind of flaws.”

“Hey settle down. Maybe it would be a good idea to use the ship that the Council of Lords provided. It would make everything look official,” Revan interjected. She hadn’t seen the slight nod that the two exchanged and continued down the street.

The group rounded another corner when a dark hooded figure stood in their way. Atton had been in the lead when he appeared and stopped rather suddenly that Michaela bumped into him. Peering over his shoulder she saw the figure but she also saw six others appear out of nowhere.

The hooded figure had watched as they rounded the corner. The others had taken their position and the boss was bringing up the rear. He opened his cloak and placed his hands on his hips to reveal a lightsaber and a katana. It was not unusual, at least on Avalon. He spoke menacingly, “At last we meet. The so called Savior of the Republic, a fool and the great Kirabaros.”

Kirabaros had nearly run into the party that stopped. When he saw the hooded figure, he immediately threw up his mind walls and used his senses to scan for the others. When he heard the greeting, he made his way to the front. When he saw the lightsaber and katana, he guessed that he might be a faction that hated him for bringing the war or for encouraging the relations with the Republic. Nothing annoyed him more and he showed it when he responded, “And all I see is a pitiful clown pretending to be something he’s not.”

The hooded figure fore him smiled in an evil way. He was angry at what the scum in front of him implied but he had a mission to complete. He replied, “Really? Well I hate to disappoint you but there is a price on your heads.”

“Really?’ Kirabaros eyed his opponent. At that moment, Carth squeezed out a few blaster shots out to the side, hitting one of their attackers. Kirabaros drew his lightsaber and made way towards another.

The hooded figure just watched as his minions did their work against the adults. He kept his gaze on Kirabaros and Revan with a look of intense interest. His client was interested in other things but he was specifically instructed to give them a special gift. Kirabaros was fighting with his back against Atton and Michaela’s backs in a triad move. Revan was moving in unison with Carth. The fluidity as if they were one was amusing to watch. Admirable too.

There seemed to be no end to the attackers as they appeared out of nowhere and fought at them. Kirabaros saw a break and took two and broke the triad. The hooded one watched with amusement. He said, “Not bad. For a Jedi.”

Kirabaros glared at the hooded figure and started for him with his katana drawn. The hooded figure pushed back his hood and drew a sword of intricate design. They squared off. Kirabaros struck first with a swing towards the left. The attacker countered and parried. Kirabaros kept up a defense by keeping his left forearm raised while he swung the blade with his right.

Carth saw that Revan didn’t need his help. She was a Jedi after all. They had managed to dwindle their attacker’s numbers down enough to allow Kirabaros to attack the leader, which had been standing there, and watching them. He had followed Kirabaros’ lead when he mentioned that they were going to try to sneak attack them and had his blasters ready. He paused to watch Kirabaros face off with the leader of the group with fascination at the speed and agility in which Kirabaros moved.

Revan noticed Carth had stopped and paused to look at what he was staring at. She turned to watch occasionally batting away an adversary. Eventually Atton and Michaela turned to watch with astonished looks. They were distracted when some of the attackers who had been stunned got back up and attacked again. Kirabaros paused for a brief moment to glance at Carth before he was hit with a kick to the mid section. It was followed by several punches to the gut and face and ending with a crescent kick across his face. Then he was sent flying with a sidekick into some crates.

Carth had got the glimpse but didn’t move; he didn’t know what to do. When Kirabaros went down, Revan made a move towards the leader. He just stood there waiting until she got close enough and she was sent flying with a Force Wave. He watched as the leader turned towards Kirabaros who was struggling and said, “This was merely a distraction. I am after something more valuable. That which you value the most.”

Carth raised his blasters and fired. The leader dodged them and pushed him to the ground. The leader then spun and threw a small blade at Kirabaros who dodged as it embedded itself into the crates. With a flourish and a firm stride, the attackers left ass quickly as they arrived. Kirabaros was breathing heavily as he watched the attackers leave. He realized what they were after and scrambled up, oblivious to any pain he was in and took off down the street in the opposite direction of the hangar bays with the others following behind.

Thanks for that igyman. Now here is another chapter, one that involves the kiddies. It took me forever to think of this chapter and I have 3 Ninjas to thank for that.

Chapter 15

“Objection: You Hutt spawn are mocking my technological superiority!”

“Be quiet HK. Hold still while I finish this update on your actuator and your assassination protocols will be online.”

“Be still bad droid!”

Morgan, Lilah and Tulre were in an apartment waiting for their parents to come back from whatever they were doing. Tulre made good on his promise and began to bring HK-47’s dormant assassination protocols online. He was doing fairly well with an occasional piece of advice from HK. The pieces of advice were followed by Lilah spouting out that HK was a bad droid or to be quiet. Morgan just watched with amusement.

Lilah was busy playing with her doll that Revan had made and chatting with Morgan who talked about what it was like being at the Jedi Academy. He talked mostly of missing his Papa. He was saying, “I don’t want Papa to leave again.”

“My papa won’t let him,” Lilah replied. At that age, dressed in a cute little tunic with golden brown pigtails, she believed her papa could do anything. She had watched when he lifted things that were too heavy for her or her mama without the Force. As she looked at the boy sitting across from her, she said, “My papa doesn’t like it when he goes away. Your papa doesn’t either.”

Tulre was listening to their conversation with an open ear. He missed his Dada when he had to go do whatever he had to do. He was glad that he and Lilah had their mothers but Morgan didn’t have that. He was sad that Morgan didn’t have a mother to be there. He paused and walked over to Morgan, leaving HK’s panel open. HK protested, “Objection: I detest this intolerable treatment. I will suggest dismemberment for you when master comes back!”

Tulre ignore the protocol droid as he sat near Morgan as he was saying, “I’m scared for papa.”

Tulre replied, “I’m scared too. Don’t worry. Marmar will protect us and Aunt Reva.”

That brought a smile to Morgan for then the little boy felt welcomed. He showed it when Tulre went back to work and handed him a hydrospanner using the Force. The three of them giggled together while HK still continued to complain about Tulre damaging his parts.

They had been there for a little over an hour when Lilah began to say, “Hurry Tulre. Bad men coming.”

Morgan chimed in, “I feel it too.”

“Ok. You’re all done HK,” Tulre said, closing the last panel. He ran to the corner where he had left his pack and slung it on his shoulder. He said, “You know what to do and you better do it well or I’ll put in a pacifist module or Uncle Atton will put you in the scrap heap.”

“Observation: Out of all the threats you have given me spawn of the Handsome Meatbag that has to be the most cruel of all. I rather like that.” If a droid could smile, HK surely would have.

Tulre didn’t get to respond for there was a loud bang outside the door and a bunch of voices. He stood in the center of the room looking at the door as he could hear the tell tale sounds of a slicer working. Morgan and Lilah stood with him, Lilah grabbing his hand and Morgan holding onto his tunic. Morgan tugged on it and whispered, “Stay here. Trust me.”

Tulre nodded and continued to stare at the door. HK had retreated to a dark corner where he could pick off the enemy without being seen. The new modules that Tulre installed were working perfectly and allowed HK to dim his eyes so he couldn’t be seen. The three of them just stood there when the explosion sounded and the door popped open to reveal four men and one woman dressed completely in black. They stared at the three children who stood stark still in the middle of the room looking at them with wide eyes. The woman said, “Come here children. We aren’t going to hurt you.”

“Warning: Any attempt to touch the little meatbags will result in termination.” HK fired off a few shots and downed two of the men.

The rest started to turn on the droid who emerged from his corner and began to fire. The woman shouted protests, “Forget the droid, and get the kids!” Seeing that they were not going to listen to her, she gave up and took off after the children who ran in three different directions. She took off after the eldest, Tulre.

Tulre ran into one of the rooms and locked himself into one of the storage closets. With that buying time, he managed to open the ventilation shaft and crawl through it. By the time the woman opened the closet, he was already towards where Lilah was supposed to be.

Lilah was hard to convince to get in because she was afraid of the dark. She said that the dark made her mama cry out scared sometimes. Tulre responded in the soothing tones he used on his stallion at home and finally managed to convince her to follow him by saying that they needed to get Morgan. They couldn’t leave family behind. Lilah agreed after finishing her sobs and crawled in. Tulre shut the grate and proceeded to where the refresher was. At the end, Morgan was waiting for them with a bottle of liquid soap and a container of some powder cleaner of some sort. He smiled and said, “To help HK.”

Tulre nodded and lead the way through the ventilation shaft. Pausing near one of the openings, he could hear HK spouting, “Unnecessary Threat: Die you meatbag scum!” It was followed by shouts from the men as they continued their strike against the droid. At one point, they managed to knock over the droid and continue their search for the kids. They paused by the opening, calling for the kids to come out. Tulre spotted something on the ground. A broom had fallen over. Using what he could of the Force, he moved the broom with enough force to knock both of them off their feet. Smothering giggles, he told Morgan to take the kitchen.

Morgan clutched his wares and trudged along, getting lost once until he found the kitchen. He was overhead the floor near the counter. Getting down as quietly as he could, he jumped down onto the counter. Carefully squeezing the bottle, he squeezed it all over the floor, creating an invisible film of slip and slide. He then proceeded to put the detergent into little paper bags. Hiding the evidence, he made his way towards the door to where the two men were arguing. He said in a careful sing song, “Oh no. Bad men.” He then shut the door and ran the long way around to get back on the counter where the opening was.

The two men opened the door to find a three-year-old boy looking at them innocent eyed and standing on the kitchen counter. They came charging at him only to slip on the floor where he had poured the soap. With a giggle, he jumped down to find Tulre.

Meanwhile, Tulre was teasing the woman by dodging her grabs. It was like playing the old game with Uncle Carth and Dustil. He grinned mischievously at the woman, as she grew frustrated. She didn’t see Lilah hiding above until she was clonked on the head with something she dropped. When the woman fell, Tulre grabbed Lilah and went to find Morgan. Together the three of them managed to set HK right who was muttering at the indignities he had suffered and they hid behind him.

The three attackers came stumbling out to be greeted by a psycho killer droid and bombshells of detergent. It was enough for them as they headed out of the apartment and took off. HK spoke, “Warning: Come back again meatbag scum and I’ll finish the job.” The droid then did the unthinkable and locked all four of them in the closet muttering in a voice that sounded oddly familiar, “Mockery: HK you will protect them. HK keep them safe.”

Kirabaros came running up just as the three attackers left in a hurry. They were hunched over and thought that they had taken the children. He nearly wanted to cry out but forced himself to look in the apartment. He saw the body of one attacker and determined that HK must have got off a few rounds before being overpowered. What perplexed him was that there was no sign of the droid damaged or scrap. He scoured the apartment and found the detergent, and saw the slick floors and the opened air vents. It was then that he heard giggling and HK warning the little meatbags to be quiet or he would rip out their vocal chords. He followed the sounds to the closet they were in and banged on the door.

HK responded, “Warning: Back away or I’ll blast you meatbag scum.”

“HK open up, all clear,” Kirabaros wearily replied. When the door opened up, three children came bounding out all trying to tell of how the bad men came and how they bested them.

“Calm down all of you. I can see that you took care of things. I’m sure HK helped you.” Kirabaros was smiling at the three of them.

“Indignant Response: The three little meatbags insisted upon disobeying orders. Shall I attempt some form of punishment, possibly ripping out vocal chords?” HK emerged from the closet holding the sniper rifle that he was never parted with.

“No HK. Go scan the surrounding area,” Kirabaros replied. He checked to make sure the kids were ok when the others caught up to them.

Carth looked around at the mess in the apartment and asked, “Are the kids ok?”

Chapter 16

He watched them as they fought. He especially watched the Jedi he was after. He’s good. He has a lot of heart, a thing not common in Jedi, he thought as he watched through the view scope of his sniper rifle. “You are as good as he says,” he muttered at no one in particular.

Jaqrand had tracked his Jedi ever since he left Coruscant, being crammed in a cargo hold with Force knows what to just watch a group of dissenters attack. At first he thought they were stupid or something because they made no attempt to kill the group and looked clumsy. The more he watched, the more he realized that they were toying with them. They’re after something else, he thought. At that, he pondered at what it could be.

The Jedi turned towards the leader of the group. They faced off with blades wielded. The poise was so perfect that they appeared to be statues. If Jaqrand wanted to, he could have taken a shot, a killing one. What he wanted was to get close. He wanted to smell the fear, the mercy; the look was what he wanted. The same look that the Jedi before had given him. The mere memory of the last Jedi he had killed gave him a surge of pleasure much like that of his girls in every spaceport.

His attention was drawn towards a scruffy looking male dressed in gray Jedi robes. Using his scope, he adjusted to get a better view of the face. He saw the brown locks, the hazel eyes and a face that had the look of a broken man but hid the familiar look of the lust for the kill. As he watched the man, Jaqrand let out a snort of disgust. So you have joined them then? Traitor. Traitor…

He was tempted to squeeze the trigger of his rifle and fire a shot. He wanted to kill the traitor to everything that they had done together. One thing was holding him back. The traitor was once a friend. Loyalty belonged to a friend though, not a traitor. He just kept watching the man through his scope. He was in his sights, just squeeze the trigger and he could be rid of a traitor.

All too soon, the attackers fled leaving his Jedi struggling to get up. He watched the worried expression on the Jedi’s face. It masked the true emotions: fear. So unlike a Jedi to have fear. Then again, that was how the others turned. Jaqrand was pleased. It would make his job easier in isolating the Jedi from the others. He watched with the eyes of a predator as the others followed the Jedi down the street. You will be mine Jedi. My prey.

“What do you mean you don’t have them?” The shouting could be heard in the next room. The figure slouching on the couch didn’t care though. He was amused and it showed upon his face.

“They were guarded by droid of some sort and the brats had us chase them,” the man on the comm replied with a firm yet sullen look.

“How hard is it to blast in and snatch three blasted children? It’s not like they can use the Force yet if they could,” Keegan spoke getting red in the face. He was beginning to wonder if their plan would work at all with all the bumbling idiots that they had running around for them.

“Actually they can. I think. One of my men reported getting hit with a flying broom or…”

“They’re children. They’re weak as newborn kith pups not full grown Jedi.” Keegan somehow managed to get his temper under control. His face was still red and showed his anger. He continued, “Look, you get those brats any way you can. Blast their pet droid into scrap if you have to but I want those kids NOW!” His fist pounded on the console making the comm shake.

The man looked at Keegan, gave a brief nod and replied, “I’ll report when I have them.” The comm went blank.

Keegan left the room with the comm to join Draconis who was lounging on the couch and looking as if he had just won a high stakes Pazaak game. Keegan was still simmering from the report he had received and the look Draconis was giving him wasn’t helping. Sure he learned enough how to torture the mind of an Avalonian but what good was it if he couldn’t penetrate the mind of Draconis? He said, “I’m not in the mood.”

“Of course you’re not. I wouldn’t be either if I just found out that one of my hired thugs failed to get their hands on three mere children. Then again they aren’t normal children anyway. All three have at least one parent that is Force Sensitive.” Draconis looked at Keegan with a bemused yet cold look.

“But they are kids. They shouldn’t be able to do anything significant yet,” Keegan replied, his temper rising.

“What you fail to realize my dear Admiral is that two of them are spawn of two powerful Jedi. Of course they will know a few things,” Draconis had stood up and patted Keegan’s shoulder as if he were a small child. He then crossed across the room to where the marble ball rested where he had placed it after Keegan threw it at him. He picked it up and held it in his hand looking at. All of a sudden it started to levitate and rotate like a planet would. He then said, “Harnessing the Force is not hard, if you know how to do it.”

Keegan looked on not knowing whether to be surprised or angry. It seemed that every time he thought he had Draconis figured out, he would do something to throw him off. He replied through clenched teeth, “But they shouldn’t be able to do what our hires went through at that age. They wouldn’t have learned control.”

“You don’t get it do you?” Draconis replied dangerously soft. He let the marble ball float back into his palm and he set it down. “The Force flows strongly between the three of them. It is no effort for them at all.” He then turned to face Keegan with a business like face, “Now about our bounty hunter?”

“No word from him. For all we know he burned sky,” Keegan replied still gritting his teeth. He had gritted any harder, he would have broken a tooth.

“No. He’s still on the job. The only reason I specifically asked for him was that he had…a past. A good one to boot, at least in terms of association,” Draconis smiled, once again revealing that he knew more than what was going on. Keegan knew that he was in for a very long game in this dangerous game of live dejarik. He wondered if he would be one of the pieces still standing. He knew he was a pawn and Draconis played him well. It made him wonder if Kirabaros were just like him, cold and calculating. It then struck him with the possibility that all Avalonians could be that way, always seeing five moves ahead.

The predator looked on through darkened eyes as he watched the Jedi search the room. His scope was trained on him, in the spot that he wanted and he watched. When he saw three children appear, he stopped. Children are a more interesting prey, he thought with malicious glee. Still he had one target, one prey. He didn’t let his mind dwell on the kids. Then he saw him.

The traitor had entered in the room. He had a look of concern, which broke into relief as he grabbed a small boy with hair that unmistakably was his. The hunter broke into a smile. He would have to modify his job involving the Jedi to extend to the traitor. The opportunity was too good to pass up. The stakes were higher and he was willing to bet the extra amount if only to make the traitor suffer as they had suffered.

The shadows hid him well as he pressed against the wall where he was leaning with his high-powered rifle. He heaved in a sigh and marveled at the beauty of this planet. Never before had he seen a place where so many men and women looked as if they were ready for war. There were also a few of them pussy types, the artisans; the ‘innocent civilians.’ No one noticed him for he was wearing dark clothing and had wedged himself in such a way that he couldn’t be seen unless you knew what you were looking for.

The view was good as he watched the others gather around and began to talk. The two women went towards some other rooms to get supplies while the men seemed to be talking. The brats weren’t around either. They must have been taken by their pet droid, he muttered. The Jedi began to assess the damage done to the door. He was talking to the other two who were looking around the room. Now was the perfect chance.

Aiming carefully, the hunter brought his trigger finger around the trigger gently. Almost as if not breathing, he gently squeezed the trigger and was met with the powerful recoil of his rifle. He didn’t miss. He knew it because he heard the shouts and the screams. He stood up slowly and began to walk away with a big grin on his face.

Jaqrand knew that this day wasn’t a kill day. It was a warning day. He had targeted his Jedi and sent a message. He had left a fairly good signature for the traitor as well. He will know. He will know that it was I, Jaqrand that sent that calling card. He walked away knowing that he had all the time in the world to follow them. Even if they lost him, he would find them again. He was good at finding things.

A very, very good chapter, JM12. I really like the portrayal of the villains in the story. Keep it up.

On a side note: Due to college obligations, I don't know how regularly will I be able to check this fic in the future, but I'll try to give you as much feedback as I can.

I understand completely because this is a busy year for me as well. This is my senior year at college and I have lots of papers to do so it will be some time before I can get chapters up. Thanks for the comment on my villians. Personally I like the kind that are very calculating and devious. To me the most dangerous kind are the ones who can convey a different thought than the one they intend. It all makes for a good deception.

• 2 weeks later...

Well finally I was able to finish two chapters and will now post. There is one part that gives towards the mindset of an Avalonian warrior. I took some ideas from the philosophy of the samurai in which their ideals are based on.

Chapter 17

All was quiet on board. Too quiet. It made it seem as if it were a ghost ship. It was a good thing for it was nighttime according to the ship’s clock and almost everyone else was asleep. It didn’t help for the person struggling in his bunk on the portside of the ship. He wriggled in pain as he tried to get himself comfortable but sleep wouldn’t come. His wife was not with him for she was tending to smaller matters and left him in peace. Giving up, he got up slowly, barely wincing from the pain, and started a pacing ritual that would have put the most paranoid of pilots to shame.

He made his way to the cockpit where a familiar sight greeted him. He ran a hand through his blonde tinged hair and sat beside his friend in the copilot seat. He was greeted with a soft, “Can’t sleep?”

Kirabaros gazed at the blue streaks of hyperspace for a moment before saying, “No.”

“You still ache?”

“A bit.” Kirabaros paused before speaking again. He rubbed his left near his abdomen, trying to ease the soreness that didn’t seem to go away after two days and he was too stubborn to ask Revan to use Force Heal on him. He said softly, “Carth, I think someone is out to get me and I feel that this might endanger the mission. I know I made an oath but I might have to break that vow and leave, if only to draw attention away from you guys.”

Carth said nothing but watched his friend as he sat there. He watched him as he rubbed his abdomen and thought about what happened two days ago when they were attacked and the kids were nearly taken. He doubted then the wisdom of keeping the kids close but he didn’t now. He watched Kirabaros nearly tear himself apart these last two days while they were in space heading back towards the Republic. They had left immediately after a simple bandage job, insisted by a grimacing Kirabaros. Sitting there now, he saw that the worrying was getting to him and he looked…old.

“I know I looked something the kath hound dragged in,” Kirabaros said.

“You haven’t given yourself a break, not even before this mess,” Carth replied. “It shows.”

“Well, call me stupid if you like, but you, Revan, Lilah, well you are the family I never had. Remember when I told you about when my father died?” Kirabaros had stopped rubbing the tender spot and turned to gaze at Carth.

“Yeah but does that mean you don’t have to share the burden of looking after my wife and daughter? I mean I can do that too. It’s supposed to be my job,” Carth pointed out gently.

“I know but I don’t want to worry her too much. The less anyone knows save for you and Atton…”

“Better if we don’t know everything just to keep one step ahead. I remember playing dejarik with you. You think of the future,” Carth interrupted with an understanding.

Kirabaros paused. It had never occurred to him before that Carth would understand. Everyone, even Revan at times, would say he was too paranoid and disliked being left out of the loop. It puzzled him but then he realized that Carth was, in a way, giving his permission to do what he could to protect his family. He leaned back in the seat and stared straight ahead. He closed his eyes and slowly opened them again and said, “You still haven’t given your opinion on my leaving.”

“Do I have to? I know that you do what you think is right. Perhaps that’s why Revan respects you. You don’t back down but you aren’t stupid about your fights.” Carth ran his right hand through his hair. “You know how stubborn I am but to tell you the truth: when Jolee first told me about you on Citadel, I had this feeling that you had all the answers. When I met you, you gave me hope and eventually reunited me with my wife. For that I am grateful. If anyone owes anyone, it’s me.”

“I…I don’t know what say,” Kirabaros replied. He had sensed the sorrow, the pain of loss; that was what drew him to people in the first place long ago. He was attracted to pain and wondered briefly if he made things difficult to make it happen and wondered why. It disconcerted him and he wanted to get away but he was too polite to just get up and walk away without preamble.

“Thank you would be nice,” Carth replied with a grin. “Besides you do what you have to and we’ll help whenever and wherever we can. Now you might want to try to go to sleep. I doubt you want to pilot this thing in three hours running on empty.”

Kirabaros nodded and padded softly out of the cockpit. It was an amazing feat seeing as no one could be that quiet even without their boots on. When he got to the common room, instead of going back to his quarters, he turns toward the starboard to where he felt his feelings of tenderness rising up.

From the doorway, he could make out three distinct shapes in the dark. They were shapeless gray mounds to the naked eye but they each had their own aura. Picking out his son’s he walked towards him and gazed at the sleeping figure. Gently he brushed the loose strands of hair and smiled when they popped back into place. Aside from his wife, nothing meant more to him than his son. Children in general had the same effect on him. He had a lot of love to give and it would often be given to children not his own. As he watched his son sleep, he made a decision. He would stay by Revan’s side to ensure that no harm came to her. As for the children, he had something else in mind. With a last look, he placed a well-placed kiss on his son’s cheek and wished him good night. He made sure the other two were comfortable before he left to go back to sleep.

Padding softly back to his quarters after leaving the children asleep and guarded by HK and Kapu, who insisted on coming with them. He came to find Michaela asleep on the narrow bunk. Apparently she had gone back to bed after checking on the kids. Pulling off his shirt, Kirabaros slid into the bed next to her and just gazed at her with an intense look. It was as if he were searching for something before sleep overtook him and he fell asleep. Tomorrow his plan would begin to go into play. Tomorrow, the game was on and it would prove to be a very long game.

It was raining on Coruscant and it was night. It was calm and yet had a sense of foreboding to it. It could reveal intentions and it could hide them. The predator could strike or it would wait. That was how Rowan viewed the entire scene before him as he stood waiting for the arrival of his charges. Twenty years of being hardened to battle served him well when he went to strange places. As far as he knew, the first person to leave Avalon and come to this place was none other than Kirabaros.

He was waiting in the rain and watched as it gave a sort of cleansing to the whole planet, at least the side he was on. His posture betrayed no doubts, if any, and he refused to move from his spot. Trained for years with the Bushida warriors, the elites, he developed a great tolerance for discomfort and strove to teach that discipline to the new and younger warriors. With Caelos, he was succeeding. Though the boy was a Jedi, he was Avalonian. A good Avalonian must learn all that is expected of him including combat and stealth. It was important also to be balanced with those of a non-violent manner so he encouraged the reading of poetry from the great artists. A good warrior had to be in balance or he was doomed to fail in his missions.

Standing there, Rowan reflected on his time spent on the chaotic planet. He hated the planet and equaled it to being a pile of Bantha poodoo. There was too much chaos and inner harmony did not seem to exist. He wondered how the Jedi could stand it there being that there seemed to be no balance. It was a mystery to him and one he couldn’t understand. With the rain however, it seemed to wash away the grime, the imbalance, everything that made the planet a veritable hell and seemed to give a glimmer of hope. In a way Coruscant was like the tale of the floating lantern. Even though there were horrible things that happened like corruption, greed, everything that brought the worst out of sentients, the floating lantern stayed afloat to guide the lost souls back to harmony if they chose to take it otherwise it became a ship at sea.

Rowan was thinking of these lessons and stories when he received a beep on his comm. He responded to the call only to receive instructions in Avalonian or rather one of the dialects. He responded in the same language and pulled his cloak tighter around him. He was clearly drenched but he had his duty. If one thing his family was noted for, it was their fierce loyalty to duty and honor. Catching a glimpse of what he was waiting for, he lit a glow stick and waved it as if in the manner of a flight crew preparing a fighter for takeoff. He watched his surroundings as a ship, clearly of Avalonian design, made its way to the platform that he was standing on. He readied himself for any thing out of the ordinary for that was what a Bushida warrior did. They were always ready for whatever danger that that may come across their way. The way of the battle was their life. This he held on to as the ship landed and the ramp lowered to let out his charges.

Oh it will be finished. I'm in my last year at college and applying to grad school an on top of that I have massive papers to write. I also have my duties to the sorority and as the ambassador to the anthro club so my life is going to be a veritable hell at least for this fall. As for Heart of Deception, I have the plots worked out and I have strange dreams of certain scenes haunting them.

It's been a while, but you've still got it. For a moment there I thought I wouldn't remember what this fic was about up 'til now, but it seems that my memory is a lot better than I thought.

As a fellow college student I can understand the obligations, the lack of free time and the hard work that our status implies. Though I'm only in my first year, college has taken a lot of my time as well, almost every day I come home the first thing I want to do is get some sleep. Good thing I can spare the evenings to turn on the PC and play some games and take a look around the forums.

Thanks for the understanding igyman. As a reward, I am posting chapter 18. Yes I was slow at posting chapters because I have an Internet Nazi at home and I have dial-up there.

Chapter 18

The ship landed on a small strip away from the main center of the planet. The rain beat at its weathered hull with a pleasant rhythm as it lowered its loading ramp. The first to emerge was a hooded figure that pulled his robes tightly around him to try and shield himself from the cold. He glanced around to find a single solitary waiting for him. Keeping a sharp eye, he walked towards the figure that was also wearing robes to protect himself from the rain. Upon reaching the figure, the one that was waiting for him spoke, “Lovely weather we’re having aren’t we?”

Atton responded, “About as lovely as it gets kid. I have what I guess you’ve been waiting for.”

“Good. I have a friend who knows where to put it,” Caelos replied and led the way.

Rowan watched as a figure descended from the ship. He allowed himself a smile for the one person he had a close friendship with. Coming up to see his old friend better, he saw that he was flanked by four others, one obviously being carried, and the droid he had come to think synonymous with the term psychotic. He greeted his friend in a warrior clasp and spoke softly above the roar of the rain, “Weather’s good isn’t it?”

With a slight grin, Kirabaros replied, “Not as good as home I imagine. How’s the senator?”

Eying Kirabaros’ companions, Rowan replied, “Well. She showed me a place for the lady.” He indicated to Revan who was holding her sleeping daughter. Carth was trying to keep the rain off of them. The droid was scanning the area with a sniper rifle cocked and ready for anything and Dustil was just anxious but trusting of their group leader’s decisions.

Kirabaros moved his own eyes to scan around as he said, “We best get going. Things could change for this game.”

Rowan said nothing but instead nodded. Turning, he led the way to a transport that he had ready. Yes things were going to change. Still he was a warrior and he would keep his honor by fulfilling his oath. The first rule of a Bushida warrior was to uphold the oaths he or she makes to another.

The apartment looked like twelve people had lived cramped in it along with rats and other types of vermin. The floor was carpeted and surprisingly clean but badly stained. The walls bore signs of water damage and showed it in ugly brown stains. Caelos and his friend that he met after the war, a blue Twi’lek named Mission, stood and watched as their companions inspected what was to be their quarters for as long as things stood. Atton was holding a sleeping Morgan glancing around with a strange expression and Michaela was looking around with an amused expression. Tulre was sitting on one of the battered couches with Kapu nestled against him and he was dozing. Michaela, much to Atton’s surprise said, “This is fine. I’m surprised that you could find it on such short notice.”

Mission, glad that her hard work was being rewarded, replied, “Yeah well, it’s good to know who’s ‘renting’ and who’s selling and the like.”

“We aren’t gonna be found out are we Blue?” Atton asked calling Mission the nickname that Canderous, now Mandalore, gave her.

“Nope. The folks here don’t see nothin’ and they don’t hear nothin.’” Mission looked pleased with herself. Ever since the war ended, Kirabaros encouraged her to be legit in her dealings but also encouraged her to keep her skills in practice. She was grateful and never really got to thank him for telling her about the friend who was like a sister to her. Her way just happened to give him a hand.

Michaela for her part was grateful for Mission. She liked the Twi’lek when she first met her and taught some useful things like cooking, one that Mission liked to show off when she came to Avalon. Casting a warning glance at Atton, she replied to Mission, “This will be fine. After all, we are hiding out here at your expense and we are grateful.”

“Anything for Jac…er Kirabaros,” Mission beamed, momentarily forgetting that Kirabaros never went by his childhood name any more. She was glad to see Tulre again for he had a way of making her laugh. Not finished, she opened what passed for a closet and revealed clothing that would allow for them to pass as common citizens on Coruscant just in case they needed to make a discreet exit.

Impressed, Michaela said, “I see you thought of everything. Well it looks like we’re going to be all right.”

Caelos took his leave for he still had his duties towards the senator and he had to receive an update from Kirabaros. He gave a slight bow and left the apartment and took off leaving Mission to help them. He only hoped that Kirabaros wouldn’t encounter any other problems.

Senator Amstar greeted Revan with a sisterly hug and gave a polite peck on Kirabaros and Carth’s cheeks. Dustil she looked at with a smile and greeted him with a handshake. Her differences in her greetings were nothing unusual for she gave them as she saw them; whatever made her guests comfortable. She insisted on holding Lilah who woke up and asked to see the pretty lady much to the amusement of her parents. Sitting down on a long couch, she motioned for the others to sit. She spoke in a good-natured voice, “I trust you will enjoy your stay.”

“Oh yes,” Revan piped up equally cheerful. “Thank you for letting us stay.”

“No problem. I’m sure this is even satisfactory for Kirabaros.” Senator Amstar held Lilah who was getting drowsy again. “Anyway, I could use with the company.”

Meanwhile Kirabaros had gotten up quietly and made his way around the apartment. Rowan followed him to help along with HK. Revan had seen him get up to walk through the various rooms. He had told her that he would be handling security since he didn’t trust green Republic recruits, no offense to Carth. She kept to the conversation with Senator Amstar and replied, “Yes. With all the security round, I am sure we will go in and get out without any mishaps.”

Senator Amstar smiled. Kirabaros had asked her if she wouldn’t mind. He stressed that it would be a big risk for her but she liked the Onasi family. After what they did for Avalon, well there were many who would consider it an honor. That was something not mentioned for it was passed along the wind that they wanted to live quietly and it was respected. She changed the course of the conversation by addressing Dustil, “Tell me, young Dustil, how goes the engineering job?”

Surprised that the conversation was directed at him, Dustil stammered and got a little flustered. Revan hid a smile for he looked like Carth when he was nervous. Dustil went into a brief description as to what he was doing. The conversation lulled a bit and that was the signal for Senator Amstar to show them to their rooms. It was a testament to how spacious the apartment was by the amount of rooms and their spacing. If anything it seemed as if the Republic wanted to keep the Avalonians sweet since they were new to the Republic. Carth kept that thought to himself as well as the conversation he had with Admiral Dodonna before landing requesting a meeting.

Later, with their daughter asleep in the adjoining room, Carth told Revan his apprehensions about what was going on. He said, “I don’t know Gorgeous but I have a feeling that the Republic has a hidden agenda. As much as I don’t want to believe it, that feeling is there.”

Snuggling close to his warm body in their bed, Revan could sense how this whole thing was tearing him apart. He was loyal to the Republic, the ideals that it was supposed to stand for. The very thought that the Republic would be wont to cause harm to one person was disturbing. She couldn’t help but feel the same way. Knowing that Carth valued her honesty she replied softly, “I know but I think that it’s not the Republic as a whole. Maybe it is someone with ties to the higher ups.”

The conversation continued into the night until husband and wife fell asleep, each thinking of the challenges they will face. Eventually their sleep became peaceful creating a sense of calm that could be sensed by every Force sensitive nearby.

Archived