Home

NCAA Football 2006

Char Ell

Let me preface this by saying I'm not a fan of either school.

But clearly the better team won last night. Florida on defense and offense had Ohio State dazed and confused...they didn't know what to expect. They were back on their heals all game long. Florida's performance was the most complete domination I've seen in a long time [in #1 vs #2 games]. I think I heard that Ohio State ended up with 72 yards total offense for the game....not sure but that sounds right.

So now that we know [in BCS terms of course] who the #1 team is...who is number 2? I mean, this is where it gets really interesting...you gotta look at Boise State - 13-0 record, beating Oklahoma...Boise State let them back in the game in the second half with silly turnovers, otherwise it would have not gone to OT. Louisville deserves some consideration as well for the way they played. USC...they have 2 losses vs un-ranked conference opponents...but they handled Michigan very easily...something even Ohio State couldn't do. So can a 2 loss team end up #2 in teh country? I'm thinking not. We have to include LSU, they play in the tough SEC and I believe their only loss was to Florida...so they have strong consideration as well.

You might be wondering why I haven't included Ohio State as one of my candidates for #2...well it's pretty simple really...if you're going to be the #2 team in the country...or in the top 5 teams in the country, you don't get blown out in your bowl game when you're ranked #1. Ohio State scored one offensive touch down last night...if Ted Ginn wasn't so amazing on that kick-off return, it would have been a bigger romp.

So in closing....my top 5 -

1. Florida

2. LSU

3. Boise St.

4. USC

5. Lousiville

6. Ohio State

Thing is...I hate the BCS, college football needs a playoff system. I wish we could see another game of Florida vs whoever they decide is #2. :)

It certainly is fun to speculate though. :)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "What the H*** Where You Thinking!?" Award for 2007 goes to OSU Head Coach Jim Tressel. Down a whopping 10 points with 3 1/2 minutes remaining in the first half of play, Coach Tressel decided to go for it on 4th and 1, with the ball on the OSU 29. It failed and Florida got an easy 3 points out of the deal.

In the end, it didn't have any effect on the outcome of the game, but c'mon: what the h*** was he thinking?

After the OSU game and the last Bears-Packers game, I am in football hell. Sigh.... :)

Edit: @ Leemu below--Oh, don't remind me of just how awful it was. :) We finally turned it off in the middle of the 4th quarter because Jimbo and I couldn't stand the pain anymore. I turned on NWN2 to go make uber-armor and weapons to go take out some monsters--far more satisfying than what I saw last night.

Don't worry Jae,

Sunday you will be resurected from football hell back into the realm of Happy Football Fans. I know this isn't the NFL thread but, dare I say,

GO BEARS !!!

At least they beat Michigan this year.
After 3 straight losses at the hands of Troy Smith and the Buckeyes all I can say is: The Wolverines better win next season. :swear:

Thing is...I hate the BCS, college football needs a playoff system. I wish we could see another game of Florida vs whoever they decide is #2.
I would like to see Florida vs. Boise State :nod:. But as far as a playoff system for NCAA football Division 1-A goes I think they should look at using the current bowls in a 32-team playoff. Use the BCS poll to determine the top 32 teams in the country and then place them in brackets and play them off.

First round games could be played in bowls like the Poinsettia Bowl, Las Vegas Bowl, etc.

Sweet 16 games could be played in The Cotton Bowl, Gator Bowl, Holiday Bowl, etc.

The Elite 8 would be the BCS bowls, the Fiesta Bowl, Orange Bowl, Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl.

The Final 4 would be two new games held at non-BCS bowl sites

The Championship would be held on a rotating basis between the four BCS bowls.

There are currently 31 bowl games.

A 32-team playoff format would require 31 games to determine the champion.

In my proposed system one existing bowl game would have to be eliminated. I would vote for the Hawaii Bowl since that is such a long way to travel for everybody.

Problem solved. ;)

Archived