Home

NCAA Football 2006

Char Ell

So I guess I should offer my belated and begrudged congratulations to the Ohio State peeps for their team winning The Game for the 3rd year in a row. Ugh! Excuse me for a sec...

:barf:

*gargling is heard*

Gagh! Had to wash that nasty taste out of my mouth! :D

I'm satisfied with Florida playing Ohio State for the national championship. As far as I'm concerned Michigan lost the right to play for all the marbles when it lost The Game and the Big 10 Championship. I think Michigan is the better team but Florida won their conference and Michigan didn't. Simple as that to me. Both teams have only one loss and with the same record it's up to the pollsters to determine who they think is #2. So while I don't agree that Florida is #2 and Michigan #3 I think Florida should get the nod because they earned the SEC crown.

And I am excited about Michigan and USC facing off in the Rose Bowl in a traditional Big 10 vs. PAC grudge match. Michigan should come in with a chip on their shoulder for getting placed behind Florida when they were originally ranked above Florida before Florida played the SEC championship. USC should play with renewed vigor after that embarassing loss to UCLA. Pfft! With those two contenders the Rose Bowl will be a much more entertaining game than the championship game. :xp:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe (like cutmeister wrote) that Michigan is a better team than Florida. I also believe Ohio State will destroy Florida. At least USC is out of the National Championship hunt. I also like the match up of Michigan vs. USC. (Sorry I know this is blasphemy around here) What if Florida pulls off a 1 point upset and Michigan blows out USC. Another split National Championship?

Texas got the Alamo Bowl vs. a 6-6 Iowa team, but that is what they deserve after their late season collapse. I’ll still go to the game…they’re my team.

I believe (like cutmeister wrote) that Michigan is a better team than Florida. I also believe Ohio State will destroy Florida.

Well that, as they say, is why they play the game. It still strikes me that this whole BCS thing is an incredibly idiotic way of crowning a champion. Seems to get worse and worse every year.

Woohoo, Troy Smith!!!! He also got the Davey O'Brien nat'l QB award, Walter Camp Player of the Year, and the All-Big Ten Offensive player of the year.

Let's see--that's the Heisman, the O'Brien, the All-big-10 offensive player, Walter Camp Player of the Year,Bronko Nagurski award for top defensive player of the year, and 3 players named to the Walter Camp All-America team: Smith for QB, Laurinaitis for linebacker, and Quinn Pitcock for defensive lineman. Not too shabby for the scarlet-and-grey. :D

Well Troy Smith just won the Heisman a little bit ago, he had the most first place votes ever, breaking Reggie Bush's record set last year.
No big surprise there, heh-heh-heh. Everybody knew who was going to win and IMO Troy Smith earned the Heisman. There wasn't anybody else that could even come close this season. No arguing from me on that point. :D

I didn't understand why Reggie Bush won so decisively last year when Vince Young had played so well. But Vince showed the Heisman voters they didn't have much of a clue in last year's championship game. :smirk2:

I didn't understand why Reggie Bush won so decisively last year when Vince Young had played so well. But Vince showed the Heisman voters they didn't have much of a clue in last year's championship game. :smirk2:

QFE

He still showing the nay sayers, yesterday, Vince showed the Texans they made a mistake by not drafting him.

Troy Smith was head and shoulders above the rest of the candidates this year. A well deserved honor for him and his teammates.

• 3 weeks later...

What an incredible game between Boise State and Oklahoma yesterday in the Fiesta Bowl! Did anybody see the end of that game? Boise State used 3 trick plays to score the game-tying touchdown, an OT touchdown, and then had the balls to go for the 2-point conversion and the win instead of just kicking the PAT. In a brief interview just as his team was taking the field for the start of the game I remember Boise State coach Chris Petersen saying his team was going to leave it all on the field. No question that is what Boise State did. Congrats to the underdogs at Boise State. I wonder where they'll end up in the final BCS rankings?

Fox Sports commentator Chris Meyer really messed up Ian Johnson's post-game marriage proposal to his Boise State cheerleader girlfriend though. Next time Chris try not to spoil the surprise before its sprung. :roleyess: Fortunately for Ian though she did say yes. :D

Other than that the college bowl season has sucked for my teams. Both Arizona State and Michigan were pwnd by Hawaii and USC, respectively. Of course the ASU coach was on his way out anyway and who knows what will happen to Lloyd Carr now after 3 seasons of losing to Ohio State and losing bowl games. I was quite disappointed in Michigan's inability to generate any real offense.

Did anybody see Grand Marshal George Lucas in the Rose Bowl parade, kicking off the 30th anniversary of Star Wars? I missed that but saw him flip the coin just before the game started and surprise, surprise, the coin landed with his alma mater facing up. That had to have been rigged, heh-heh-heh. j/k

Anybody think there is any excitement left for the remaining bowls? I've got no interest in the Orange Bowl game between Louisville and Wake Forest. I fully expect Notre Dame to get stomped by LSU in the Sugar Bowl. And I think Ohio State will win against Florida without too much effort. I'll probably watch that last one. Guess I lost interest after both of my teams came up short. ;)

Too bad about Michigan. I was hoping they'd soundly beat USC, and Florida would/will get trounced by Ohio State so people could see that Michigan belonged in the National Championship. Oh well... Michigan has a very good class next year, they'll be even better than they were this year I think.

What an incredible game between Boise State and Oklahoma yesterday in the Fiesta Bowl! Did anybody see the end of that game? Boise State used 3 trick plays to score the game-tying touchdown, an OT touchdown, and then had the balls to go for the 2-point conversion and the win instead of just kicking the PAT. In a brief interview just as his team was taking the field for the start of the game I remember Boise State coach Chris Petersen saying his team was going to leave it all on the field. No question that is what Boise State did. Congrats to the underdogs at Boise State. I wonder where they'll end up in the final BCS rankings?

Did anybody see Grand Marshal George Lucas in the Rose Bowl parade, kicking off the 30th anniversary of Star Wars?

I saw it, the one time I root for OU look what happens. When OU intercepted the pass for a touchdown with 1:02 left, I thought the game was over. It was only the beginning with a hook-and-ladder play and a Statue of Liberty play later Boise State had the victory. Stoops got out coached pure and simple. One of the best games I’ve ever watched, behind the Texas vs. USC game last year (but I may be a little bias). Boise State better watch out, other schools will be knocking on Coach Chris Petersen door very soon. I still don’t believe Boise State belongs in the BCS. OU backed into winning a weaken conference. OU was starting a wide receiver at quarterback. A very good win for Boise State, but if they played OU five times in a row, OU would win four of them. They just got extremely lucky, but they did it at exactly the right time.

I went to San Antonio to the Alamo Bowl to watch the Longhorn vs. Iowa. Iowa gave us a scare, but the Longhorn pulled it out in front of a packed house.

Hope the rest of the games are half as entertaining as last night's game. Have you noticed how many upsets and come from behind wins there have been? Can’t believe we have to wait till next Monday for the National Championship game.

Didn’t see George Lucas, but I saw the Star Wars floats.

What an incredible game between Boise State and Oklahoma yesterday in the Fiesta Bowl!

To quote the greatness that is Chris Berman: "That's...why they play the games."

Gotta love the underdog, non-BCS team making a run at it. I still say get rid of the BCS system and go to a playoff. You never know when someone's going to peak at the right time.

:drop2: Shocked. Stunned. Mystified. That about sums up my state of mind after Florida manhandled Ohio State in the BCS Championship Game. :drop2:

Blame it on the 51 days between OSU's last game and the championship game if you will, but the 93-yards kickoff return by Ginn Jr. and the TD run by Pittman were the only OSU highlights of the entire game, and OSU's offense just couldn't get anything going against Florida's defense. Six OSU first downs for the entire game? 82 yards of total OSU offense? OSU managed only 37 offensive plays? Of course one must acknowledge that the loss of Ted Ginn Jr. really hurt OSU's offense but still... I can hardly believe it.

Gotta give tons of credit to Urban Meyer for prepping his team for this game. The Florida defense stifled Troy Smith and the OSU offense. Chris Leak efficiently and accurately led the Florida offense by sustaining drives, capitalizing on OSU turnovers, and throwing the ball away instead of making mistakes. Incredibly enough the game was over after the first half.

I can't believe what I just saw.

It looks like the Buckeyes showed up to the press conference and the Gators showed up to a football game.

Was that the Heisman Trophy winner with the deer in the headlights look I saw last night?

Un-frigging'-believable !!!

I think the month and a half lay-off is more of a factor for the fans than the team.

Florida had 51 days off too.

It always comes down to the line of scrimage. florida, for the most part, controlled it on both sides. Their D-line was out of thier minds.

They should all have their piss tested immediately!

Oh well, I DO feel for ya Jae. It's always a farther fall from the top.

...and yes, at least you did beat Michigan.

who, co-incidently was the only team to beat Wisconsin this year. GO BADGERS!

Florida had 51 days off too.
:eyeraise: Florida's last game was on Dec. 2 against Arkansas in the SEC championship. Crunch the numbers and I believe that comes out to a 37 days layoff, two weeks shorter than OSU. :)

...and yes, at least you did beat Michigan.

who, co-incidently was the only team to beat Wisconsin this year. GO BADGERS!

Yeah, for sure it wasn't a great bowl season for the Big 10 conference. Wisconsin and Penn State were the only ones that won their bowl games so congrats to them for a strong finish. ;)

Wisconsin's only loss was to Michigan but Wisconsin also didn't play Ohio State this season. IMHO if the Big 10 isn't going to have a championship game for it's conference then the least they can do is have all the conference teams play each other once during the season. That is what the PAC 10 started doing this season and I think that is only fair if a conference doesn't have a championship game.

That is why they play the games. I was shocked. Florida took it to Ohio State and never looked back. They were faster and more physical on defensive, something I knew before the game was not true. Florida out coached and out played Ohio State. Other than the opening kickoff Florida was in complete control.

It always comes down to the line of scrimmage. Florida' date=' for the most part, controlled it on both sides. Their D-line was out of their minds.[/quote']

You hit the nail on the head. This game was won and lost at the line of scrimmage. Florida was able to get pressure with its D-line without blitzing. They also were able to penetrate the O-line on run plays.

Nothing should be taken away from Ohio State, they had a great year. Congratulations to both teams.

After the OSU game and the last Bears-Packers game, I am in football hell. Sigh.... :)

Edit: @ Leemu below--Oh, don't remind me of just how awful it was. :) We finally turned it off in the middle of the 4th quarter because Jimbo and I couldn't stand the pain anymore. I turned on NWN2 to go make uber-armor and weapons to go take out some monsters--far more satisfying than what I saw last night.

Archived