Home

GameCube outsells Xbox 360 in Japan

Char Ell

I knew MS Japan was still struggling with Xbox 360 sales but this story is really an indication of just how bad things are for MS in Japan. :smirk2:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/731/731939p1.html

September 8, 2006 - Microsoft may have a hit on its hands with Xbox 360 in America, but the same cannot be said of the console's presence in Japan. Not only did the next-generation system debut in the Land of the Rising Sun to less than spectacular numbers, but overseas gamers have -- despite Microsoft's best efforts - continued to shy away from the system in 2006.

In fact, an analysis of the Japanese videogame hardware sell-through up until the end of August, 2006, courtesy Enterbrain's F-ism marketing data service, shows that Microsoft's console has been outsold by Nintendo GameCube of all systems.

Microsoft has sold 75,837 Xbox 360 units in Japan in 2006 so far, according to Enterbrain's data. Nintendo, meanwhile, has sold 77,124 GameCubes during the same period.

We'll monitor the situation for any late-breaking improvements, but for now it is unlikely that Xbox 360 will give either Wii or PlayStation 3 a run for their money when the systems debut in Japan this holiday.

:lol: I guess the Japanese just don't like Microsoft consoles, heh-heh-heh.

Yeah I heard of this the other day. This most likely has something to do with the content of the games. The Japanese simply don't like the kinds of games on the X-Box 360. It's still pretty sad that a recent console would be outsold by a 5 year old one though.

By the way, cutmeister, your avatar reminds me of Clemme w/Stick, who hasn't been around in awhile. Wonder where he went...

And when i was in japan about 2 years ago it was actually very hard to find Gamecube games.. i thought that Japan, being the home of big N, would have way more gamecube coverage than the UK.. but it was just like the UK - whole shops full of PS2 games and a tiny corner devoted to GCN games.

At the moment in Japan... the DS lite is DOMINATING. In first is the DS, standing very high, then in distant second is the PS2 and then the PSP, etc... and recently, Nintendo finally got a full top 10 lineup, they were all DS games.

As for the Xbox360, it's competing with the GCN at the moment, sometimes the GCN is on top, sometimes the 360 is on top... and recently, 0 Xbox's were sold over a week in Japan.

In the US, the 360 is competing with the PS2 and the PSP is competing with the GBA... and which system is in first place? The DS lite of course :p

Or maybe they don't like American consoles.
Nah. I don't think that's the case. I just think the Japanese don't like Microsoft. And maybe it's like IG-64 says and the Xbox 360 doesn't have any games that have caught the attention of the Japanese gaming community.

If however we were talking about the GCN outselling the Xbox 360 in Iraq then I would have to agree with that statement. ;P

By the way, cutmeister, your avatar reminds me of Clemme w/Stick, who hasn't been around in awhile. Wonder where he went...

Looks like Clemme w/ Stick hasn't signed on since April 25 of this year. Sorry but I have never read any of his posts so I have no idea where he went. :giveup:

Or maybe they don't like American consoles. :indif:

Some people are convinced of that but it really is a case of the games... most of the games that the Xbox have are games that the Japanese aren't really that interested in. To be honest the only reason the Xbox360 is selling AT ALL in Japan is because of the games made specifically for the Japanese.

Archived