Home

The Real Number Nine?

King Dando

Today while surfing the internet I came across a wikipedia article about a Pennsylvania Railroad S1 Class Steam Locomotive which bears a resemblance to the Number Nine from Grim Fandango.

According to the article, it was the only one of its kind ever to be built, it was the largest express passenger locomotive ever constructed, and its steel locomotive bed was the largest ever made.

Its boiler was the largest the Pennsylvania Railroad had ever constructed and the locomotive itself was so huge it could not fit most of the PRR system and had to be restricted to the mainline.

Its service life wasn't very long and only lasted from 1939 till 1945, its goal of hauling a 1000 tons at 100mph was not reached, and its extreme length made the locomotive incapable of negotiating curves on most lines of PRR track, for this reason, no further S1's were constructed.

Here is a picture of the locomotive at the World's Fair in New York in 1939. Any thoughts?

PRR_S1.jpg

The original Wikipedia article is here.

I can only hope this hasn't been found out already

KD

While I wasn't sure what train exactly it was meant to be, I did come across a train that looked almost identical to the Number Nine on a book a while ago. This prompted me to search the internet for the badge on the train ("New York Central System") and I found found a bunch of relevant pictures. See this thread:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=164153

Certainly a superb-looking train! Although it looks like the one you've stumbled across is a slightly different train to the one in my first picture.

While I wasn't sure what train exactly it was meant to be, I did come across a train that looked almost identical to the Number Nine on a book a while ago. This prompted me to search the internet for the badge on the train ("New York Central System") and I found found a bunch of relevant pictures. See this thread:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=164153

Certainly a superb-looking train! Although it looks like the one you've stumbled across is a slightly different train to the one in my first picture.

Nick - Yes I know that, and no, it isn't a "replica", the number nine is based off this train or one like it, not the other way around, and besides, this train had a different covering of the front leading wheels, and a different wheel config.

Thrik - I found that thread a couple of days ago, and they certainly look alot like the number nine, albiet with slightly different fronts. Perhaps the number nine draws from them both, and is an amalgamation of differnt locomotives like the S1 and the NYCS?

speaking of replica, I would love a minature model for...never mind. the problem is they're so dang expensive. damn collectors.

I also remember seeing a poster that labeled the train "the 20th Century" and found some similar picture of it on the net.

Also if you ever watch the intro cartoon to Poirot they show a really art deco animation of the number 9.

Archived