Home

Cool Science Stuff!

Boba Rhett

My particular forte is electricity so the first batch will be about, you guessed it, electricity!

emot-science.gif Static electricity shocks can be well over 10,000 volts.

Jump distance information: (through your average air sample)

mm gap - volts required

.5______________2850

1_______________4350

2_______________7350

3______________10350

4______________13350

5______________16350

emot-science.gif Want a stun gun in under five minutes?

Step 0: Yes, step zero. For the love of God, discharge the flash on your camera.

Step 1: Crack open a disposable camera, see the big black cylinder in there that looks like the one in this picture? It's a capacitor. Jumper two insulated wires (works best if you solder them but wrapping will work), one from each of its legs, and run them outside of the case. Then reassemble the body of the camera. Do NOT let the ends of the wires touch.

Step 2: Press and hold the flash button until the flash is fully charged.

Step 3: RELEASE THE FLASH CHARGE BUTTON.

Step 4: Find something (non living) to shock the hell out of.

NOTES:

Despite my seemingly wanton disregard for human life in telling you to do this, I will tell you this - it is not a toy. It's strong enough to blow craters in quarters - it's strong enough to mess you up.

The discharge will be along the line of 340 volts.

If the flash button is not released the battery of the camera will immediately drain during your first tazering.

The camera should be good for about 300 tazer discharges.

While this won't be killing anyone or knocking them to the ground anytime soon, this can hurt VERY BADLY. NEVER use this on living things. Even if you're in a violent, mouth-frothing, fit of rage. *points at BongoBob* :carms:

emot-science.gif The subsequent hole I blew in my thumb from forgetting to discharge the flash on the first incarnation of the aforementioned stun gun hurt very badly. So, how much power did it take for me to loose feeling in my thumb for three days? Lets find out! :haw:

My capacitor was charging to 343 volts. measuring the resistance across the distance it had to move across my skin gives us the figure of about 730,000 Ohms which then gives us a current of about 470uA. Voltage * Current gives us ~.161 Watts. BONUS: That's .000216 Horsepower!

emot-science.gif If you maintain an electric field through water somewhere on the order of 1 million volts per cubic meter, the water will freeze at room temperature.

emot-science.gifThe average sized Tesla Coil, Click Me, produces 2.5 million volts at 20,000 Amps. A bolt of lightning can reach 300,000,000 volts at 30,000 Amps, Click Me.

emot-science.gif How fast is "electricity"? The speed of light, 186,000 miles per second you say? The shockwave" moves at that speed but the actual electron flow could easily be outpaced by a man in a walker going uphill.

emot-science.gif Electricity flows from positive to negative, right? Nope! Negative to positive. Electrons are negatively charged, which causes them to moves from negative to positive. The flow looks like it's going from positive to negative because of the "holes" left by the electrons as they move. (You're seeing the holes and it looks like they're moving positive to negative)

emot-science.gif What's one of the best electrical insulators? Pure water. Very very pure. The impurities in normal water are what causes it to be such a fantastically lethal conductor. (The electricity is given a path through the impurities)

And that's all I can remember for now. Feel free to post comments, questions, to supply additional stuff, or just to call me a lying bastard or some other generic form of bastard. :wavey:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Electrons have negative charge. To make them "flow" you need a difference of charge between the electrodes (potential difference). This potential (to produce electric current) is measured in Volt. Now, the cathode (-) has more electrons than the anode (+), and basically the electrons just want to go where it's less crowded than where the currently are, so they take a nice walk to a new land. This is then called current and measured in Ampere, the more electrons are walking at the same time the higher is the current. This theoretically happens until all electrons are equally "distributed" (Or in Rhett's example until his thumb turned into coal, next time the ear, eh). This can be compared to the water flowing out of a glass which is knocked over. BTW, it's not the voltage which is dangerous, but the current which flows. One can easily get killed with a voltage of 10V if there's enough current flow.

Mother.

yeah, that trampoline zappyness HURTS! i just learned to jump off the trampoline, (i twisted my ankles soooo many times!) oh yeah and its definatly not fun to be rolling aroundon the trampoline an roll onto the springs when you are all zappy.(especeally if you are a boy....)

Pressure (P), Volume (V), and Temperature (T) are related for gases by the Ideal Gas Law. As temperature increases, the pressure and/or volume of the gas will increase. As temperature decreases, the pressure and/or volume of the gas will decrease. Most solids and liquids also expand as their temperature increases. That should explain it.

Nope. That's rather displaying some relations between temperature/pressure/volume/dense of an element/substance, but does not contain info of what a triple point is. Although the triple point is directly related to pressure, temperature etc. Oh, and it does not explain what a temperature-pressure plane would be.. Another try? :)

Okay, but first the triple point: the triple point of a substance is the "combination" of temperature and pressure which causes all three phases (solid, liquid, gas - hence triple point) of that substance to exist at the same time.

Hm. If I drop a feather and a 1 ton block of iron in a room with a vacuum from a height of let's say 100 meters, which of both objects hits the ground at first?

Archived