Home

Kill a chicken, save a tree.

Achilles

Oil major ConocoPhillips and Tyson Foods Inc., the world's largest meat producer, said Monday they're teaming up to produce and market diesel fuel for U.S. vehicles using beef, pork and poultry fat.
Link

I'm glad to see that corporations are teaming up to create alternative sources of energy, but I really have to wonder why we're putting any effort into finding new ways to produce 1-offs of existing fuels instead of renewables.

I'm glad to see that corporations are teaming up to create alternative sources of energy, but I really have to wonder why we're putting any effort into finding new ways to produce 1-offs of existing fuels instead of renewables.

Doesn’t this meet the definition of renewable fuel?

Personally I don’t have a problem with it as long as they are just using the left over waste product, but if they start slaughtering animals just for their fat then my view will definitely change.

This may not be any more than ConocoPhillips trying to stick it to Uncle Sam for a few billion dollars, but then again it could help with the US dependence on OPEC oil. We'll just have to wait and see.

I did not know this Achilles, good find and thanks for sharing.

There's a guy in IL who has a little processor in his home or garage or something that takes used vegetable oil he gets from fast food places and turns it into biodiesel.

Here's a National Geographic article on how it's done.

I understand why this fellow has done this but I don't like the idea of idolising this method. If everyone sets up their own little generators, running on their own wonderful, home-made fuel, surely it is less energy efficient than the state changing its primary energy source. You have some mighty rivers in America... why not invest in some hydroelectricity... and with those thousands of miles of coast, why not build more nuclear power stations?

My opinion in a nutshell - I'm far too tired to write an essay on the matter :).

why not build more nuclear power stations?

Same problem we have with finding places to build sewer treatment centers, halfway houses, drug treatment center, landfills and prisons, no wants one in their back yard.

There's a guy in IL who has a little processor in his home or garage or something that takes used vegetable oil he gets from fast food places and turns it into biodiesel.

Here's a National Geographic article on how it's done.

Saw a guy do that on “Dirty Jobs,” and it seemed not only really dirty, but smelly. Gas would have to get way higher than it is now for people to do that, including myself.

Same problem we have with finding places to build sewer treatment centers, halfway houses, drug treatment center, landfills and prisons, no wants one in their back yard.

Don't build it near people then... most coal and gas fired power stations (in this country, anyway) don't seem to be in densely populated areas. Isn't America mostly empty space? The amount of people who will die from global warming is minuscule when compared to the number of people who may die from a (very unlikely) nuclear disaster - especially with modern regulations in place. I wish there was something better but in our current situation, nuclear (in my opinion) is one of the only shots we've got.

Archived