Home

[FIC] A Search For Sanctuary

Hullo . . . This has been an idea in my head for some time now and I finally decided I would get around to writing it. It is about a Jedi who first did not beleive the words of his friends Revan and Malak. He did not go to the Mandalorian Wars he decided he could not stay away any longer.

I hope you all enjoy, what I hope to believe that this will be an enjoying Fic to not only write, but for you, to enjoy as well. :)

CHAPTER 1: Partings

As Jorin looked about him at the sudden gathering of his fellow Jedi Knights, he knew something was happening. Something that was not meant to be happening. Jorin Lang was training to become a Jedi at the academy that was situated on the boreal planet of Dantooine. He was taller than most of his friends. His body was tanned and strictly toned as to how he wanted it to be. He had shoulder length brown hair and matching coloured eyes.

He was twenty-one years of age and would soon, be walking to the chamber of the Jedi council to be granted the rank of Jedi Knight. But he had plenty of time before that. He wanted to know what was going on first. There was a large group of students that formed a circle around to people in the center. Jorin knew these two Jedi all too well. Everybody did.

“The Masters are taking too long.” the shorter of the two said. “They sit in their chamber, not caring about what is happening to our precious Republic. They let these, invaders, slaughterers, spread through our Galaxy like a plague; killing everything in it’s path. And yet, they do nothing!

“Are you just to stand by and just watch our homes, our family’s be destroyed? These murderers have to be stopped! At all costs! If they are to be stopped, we need to fight back. Not let the Masters bicker amongst themselves about what the proper action should be. The proper action is to fight! Join us. Come with us to the Republic and lets take back everything they have stolen from us. Let us burn their homes to the ground and see them suffer!

“What say you?” he finished. Revan was replied with loud and clear cheers of support by several of the young and middle-aged Jedi that stood before them.

Jorin looked to his best-friend Bel. She had a look of anticipation, and of fear. And Jorin knew why: What would happen to them if they decided to follow Revan and Malak into the frontlines of the War? Would they be expelled from the Order? He walked over to her and placed a hand on her shoulder.

“What do you think?” he asked.

She looked back at him, a small glint in her eyes. One that he had never seen before.

“I want to go.” she said. “But, I do not know what will happen if I do.”

“We most likely will be expelled.” admitted Jorin, “And may never be able to return here.”

“Some are saying that Revan and Malak are right.” said Bel. “That if we do not do something fast, there will be no Republic to protect.”

“These Mandalorian’s are ruthless.” said Jorin, “And if they are not stopped, then that’s what is most likely going to happen. But I am thinking of staying. I have worked too hard and too long to have my status of Jedi Knight stripped away from me.”

“If that is what you choose, then that is your decision.” came a voice.

Jorin looked around and seen Revan walking up to him. Everybody casting glances between the two Jedi.

“But that is not the decision for the rest of us.” he added, as he stopped in front of Jorin.

“Revan.” said Jorin. “Have you even considered the risks of going into war? These people, our friends, some of them will most likely die! Why are you so eager for them to go if that is their fate?”

“Ah, but you say, 'if that is their fate.’ If!” Revan replied. “Do you not believe that the Jedi that surround us here and now are not up to the challenge of defending our galaxy? Do you doubt their strength?”

“Of course I do not!” spat Jorin. “Do not make the mistake in putting words into my mouth again, Revan. I am saying, however, that if they are to go . . . Are they prepared to face the consequences?” Jorin tore his eyes away from Revan and said to the surrounding group, “Are you? Are you willing to sacrifice all the years you have spent learning your skills, perfecting your skills and gaining prestige as a Jedi? Are you willing to be expelled from what you have called home for the how many years of your life that you have spent here?”

“What is the use of learning our skills if we are not to test them against an enemy worth fighting against?” replied Revan, “Is that not what we have been training all our lives to do? To protect the Republic from enemies such as these?”

“Not until our Masters think otherwise, no.” said Jorin.

“Jorin, my old friend.” said Revan, reaching over and placing a tight grip on Jorin’s left shoulder. “After all these long years, we have been friends, and you have trusted my judgement. As did I you. What has changed?”

“Nothing, Revan.” replied Jorin, returning the firm shoulder grip. “I just do not want to see you throw away everything you have done in your life.”

“Then, friend.” said Revan, removing his hand from Jorin’s shoulder. “Something has changed. Because if you do not trust me in my decision to protect the Republic, our home . . . Then something indeed has changed.”

Walking over the plains of Dantooine is the most peaceful thing, if you need to clear your head without any distractions. It just seemed, surreal that Jorin did not trust Revan’s words any longer. His indecision about his friend haunted his thoughts for the rest of that day, as he slowly paced across the soft, green-coloured surface. A light, cool breeze started to blow in from the south-east; which caused the temperature to shift slightly. Jorin took deep breaths as he walked. This Jedi calming technique was really helping immensely for Jorin, especially as he tried getting through the current times. He supposed that he would be doing this more often in the times ahead as well.

Sitting on top of a large plateau that sat upon a large hill overlooking the grounds closest to the Academy, Jorin bathed himself in the warmth of the sunlight that protruded from above. Sitting there, his body stretched out and the ends of his cloak rippling subtly in the breeze, he thought about the times when there were no dangers in life. When he was a child and everything seemed safe and easy; not like at the moment. Where everything seemed just a difficult task built upon another. Never being able to solve one problem without a few more forming up straight afterwards.

He laid his head down onto the soft, cushiony feeling of the thick grass and closed his eyes. He kept a clear sense of his surroundings just in case a Kath hound or something more dangerous decided to have an early meal, but fortunately he was un-disturbed until the time came when he felt a presence drawing nearer to his position where he lay.

He opened his eyes and looked into the purple and orange streaked sky above before he raised his head and watched Bel walk up slowly towards him. Her head was staring at the ground and her cloak was wrapped tightly around her as she walked.

She was slightly shorter than Jorin, broad shouldered, but a slender body. Her red, golden streaked hair which was tied into a pony tail fell down to her navel.

“You can look at me, you know?” he said, mockingly. Not in an arrogant sort of way, just a way to let her know that he was not annoyed with her about her decision to follow Revan to the war.

“I did not know whether you would want to see me or not before I left.” she said.

Jorin looked up a her questioningly, “You are leaving soon?” he asked

“Tomorrow morning.” she nodded. Jorin sighed.

“I will miss you, Bel.” he said, “But why you must go, I will perhaps, never know.”

“You know why I go.” she replied.

“Why though? What is the reason as to why you cannot stay?” said Jorin.

She looked at him pleadingly, “Jorin, please do not do this. Stop it.” she said

Jorin scoffed, “Stop what? Stop trying to persuade you to stay so you will not get killed? No chance.”

She let out a low aggressive sigh, “How do you know I will be killed? You are just too scared. Just like Master Vandar, Vrook . . . All of them!”

Jorin looked at her carefully, “I just do not want to live a life without you by my side. You have been my best-friend all my life. I do not want to see anything happen to you.”

She smiled and placed her hand in his, “Nothing will happen to me.” she whispered, “Not if I have something to come back to.”

He looked at her closely, and a sudden urge just started to come over him. A feeling that he thought that he would never be able to feel for Bel. But as they sat there, on top of the ever cooling plateau, he suddenly realized what he had been hiding from himself all this time.

He slowly leaned in and brushed his lips against hers, feeling the warmth of her touch upon his face, the warmth of her breath on his neck. But before anything else could happen however, he pulled away.

“What is wrong?” Bel asked him as she pulled back to look into his eyes.

“That,” he said, smiling. “Is something for you to come back to.”

By the time Jorin and Bel returned to the Academy, the pale golden sun had slowly set just beyond the mountains; casting her last rays across the sky before bidding that side of the world goodnight. Jorin slowly walked through the halls of the wonderfully crafted Jedi Academy and into the Council chamber, breathing heavily.

“You know why we have called you here, tonight.” said Master Vrook. A stubborn, yet wise old man.

Jorin nodded his head slightly, “Yes.”

“Your master, Master Zhar has spoken very highly of you. Especially of your efforts to uncover the conspiracy on Kashyyyk, which in result of, saved many lives that would have certainly been lost if it were not for your bravery and selflessness. It is because of that, we grant you the rank of Jedi Knight.”

Jorin nodded appreciatively, “Thank you, Masters.” he said, “This is a great honour and I will make sure that you never regret your decision.”

“We hope so Jorin.” replied Master Dorak, “We hope so.”

“Now go and get some rest, young one.” said Vrook. “The council needs to deliberate on some . . . certain matters which need immediate attention.”

“If I may, Master Vrook.” said Jorin hurriedly. “I would like to discuss a certain matter with the council and hear their, your, thoughts about it.”

“Very well, Jorin.” said Vandar, “What is it that you would to speak to us about?”

“It is about a certain . . . Feeling, I have towards another student.” said Jorin, cautiously

“Aggravated feelings, you mean?” asked Vandar

“Well, no . . . Not exactly.” replied Jorin. “Feelings, that . . . That are forbidden for a Jedi to have.”

“What do you mean, Jorin?” asked Vrook, impatiently. Vrook, just as stubborn as ever.

“I mean to say that . . . I have fallen in love with another student.” replied Jorin.

“Love, you say.” said Vandar, “And this other student knows of your feelings toward them?”

Jorin shifted slightly, “You could say that.” he said.

“You must understand, Jorin.” started Dorak, he spoke in a kind way, but his tone was strict. “That love is forbidden only because of the results of attachment. If you become too attached then that can blind your judgement and lead you down a path that you may not wish to go.”

“The dark side.” nodded Jorin.

“Not entirely.” added Zhar. “If a Jedi is allowed to be in an affectionate relationship with another being, then that can force them to make rash decisions. In the end, hurting not just the other person involved, but also themselves as well.”

“You should sever the emotional tie you have with this other person.” said Vrook.

Jorin nodded, “Yes, Master.”

“Now go, rest.” said Vandar.

Jorin nodded once more and proceeded out of the council chambers and into the hallway beyond. He did not, however, go to his room just yet. He strolled outside and into the courtyard. He could see the great black blob of the Academy ship that was stationed in the center of the yard in the darkness. But as he walked, he noticed that he would not be the only one who would be sitting there thinking things over that night.

“Malak?” Jorin asked as he got closer and seen the form of his other friend, whom they dubbed, ‘Revan’s Shadow’. It was just for a joke though; it seemed that just wherever Revan went, Malak followed, and the War was no exception.

“Jorin.” he said, smiling. “How are you?”

“I have . . . Been better.” said Jorin sitting down beside him and looking towards the star filled sky above.

“I know exactly what you mean.” replied Malak.

Jorin looked around to make sure that they were not being overheard and when he noticed no one he said, “I heard that you are leaving tomorrow.”

“Yes.” he replied. “We cannot wait any longer. Revan is already itching enough to go as it is.”

“Speaking of,” said Jorin. “Where is he?”

“I think he is walking somewhere outside of the Academy.” said Malak. He looked at Jorin intently and said, “We could really use you, you know. Out there, fighting with us.”

Jorin bowed his head and stared at the ground. “Not this time.” he said, “I have other things I need to do.”

Malak did not say anything in reply; he did not need to.

“Well.” said Jorin, breaking the silence, “I am going off to bed. Good luck to you my friend.” he said as he shook hands with Malak.

“May the Force be with you.” smiled Malak.

Jorin returned the smile, “You too, Malak.”

As Jorin walked back into the hallway that led to his dormitory he bumped into someone who he least expected to. And at the moment, least wanted to.

“Hello, Revan.” he said neutrally.

“Jorin.” nodded Revan, “I came looking for you. I was wondering whether or not we could talk?”

As much as Jorin was annoyed with Revan he could not just forget about all of the years they had spent together as friends.

“Sure.” he said.

They walked back into Jorin’s dormitory and sat down on the chairs beside the small bunk.

“I want to apologize.” said Revan. “I did not want to put you in the spotlight like that earlier. It was not my place to argue your point of view.”

“Revan,” said Jorin, smiling. “It‘s OK. Your forgiven.”

Revan smiled, “You truly are a good friend.” he said

“As are you.” replied Jorin. “When you are gone, would you be able to do me one favour?”

“Sure.” said Revan, “What is it?”

“Take care of Bel for me? Make sure she does not get hurt.”

“I will.” assured Revan as he stood. “Goodbye, brother.” he said

Jorin smiled as he embraced Revan in a hug, “May the Force be with you.”

Thanks, Topsite.

I like to think I have learnt alot about writing since when I first starting writing The Second Coming of Evil. I'm glad you like.

I am in progress of writing the next chapter at the moment, but it might be a few days before it is posted. I am going for my RSA and RCG tomorrow and Tuesday because I am moving to Canberra sometimes next week.

But I really like the idea of this Fic so even if I do not have a direct access to the Internet, it will not stop me from continuing writing this one for the times when I am on.

Chapter 2: Destiny’s Way

The next morning, Jorin awoke earlier than what he would usually have done: he wanted to see Bel before they left. He quickly got up, dressed and went out into the halls of the Academy, savouring the fresh scent of the early morning as he walked. He got to the entrance hallway which lead to the ship, but stopped in his tracks as he walked out into the courtyard and seen that the ship had already left.

“Bel.” he said softly to himself, “I should be there with you.”

He heard quick footsteps that quietly padded in his direction and noticed the little, green Jedi Master approaching him.

“So you know what has happened here, Jorin?” asked Master Vandar

Jorin bowed his head. “Yes, Master. I do.”

“But yet, you have not left.” replied Vandar smiling. “But I do however, sense a lot of confusion in you still. You are fearful.”

“My best-friend was on that ship,” replied Jorin, irritably, “Of course I am fearful.”

“Bel can take care of herself. She would not want you to worry, you have other things that need your attention.” replied Vandar.

Jorin looked at the Jedi Master. “You know.”

Master Vander eyed him intently, “Yes.” he replied. “I know it was her whom you had feelings for. And I fear, that, because of those feelings, you will go after her and leave the Academy. Just like Bel. Just like Malak. And all the others who followed Revan in his wake.”

“I will not let anything happen to her Master. I cannot.” replied Jorin

“You must forsake these feelings that you have, Jorin.” insisted Vandar, “Because if you do not, it will destroy you both.”

“It is not that easy.” said Jorin. He reluctantly turn his heel and walked away from Vandar. Never before had he done this: walking away from a Master and having the fleeting thought for a moment that he may just defy their orders.

Jorin started his morning training with a twenty kilometre run around the plains of Dantooine. Only stopping once to look out to the seeming never-ending grass lands beyond the grounds of the Academy. He jogged to the crystal cave, then to the Kinrath lair and then sprinted away back to the Academy. Breathing heavily he walked through the grounds, hands on the back of his head and taking deep, long refreshing breaths. He then walked to the training rooms for his morning instructions with Master Zhar.

“Your Ataru technique is becoming by far your best talent.” said Zhar approvingly. “You have been practicing in your own time?”

“Yes.” nodded Jorin. “I find that, if we do not train more in our own spare time, we become less motivated. And that, in turn, makes us slip in our technique. Making us vulnerable to the times when we may need them most.”

“Good, good.” said Zhar, nodding approvingly, “But some might think that that were Revan’s words. Not yours.”

Jorin shook his head dismissively, “They are my views.” he said.

The rest of the session was spent training in hand-to-hand combat.

Zhar stood proudly, as Jorin lowered himself into a crouched position, ready for his opponent to strike first. The master came at him, bring a swift low-kick snapping at Jorin’s side. Jorin block the kick with his forearm and swept his own foot across the ground to take Zhar’s legs from out under him. But the Twi’liek Master was too experienced and he leapt over Jorin via a front flip and landed behind him.

Jorin rolled backwards and kicked his feet up at the Master’s throat. Zhar flicked his head backwards, taking a step back. This gave Jorin enough time to kick himself up from the ground and get back into his crouched stance.

For another hour they kept up at this rate. Each of them trying their best to weaken the other.

“Very impressive.” said Zhar as he gave the word to stop the fight. “You are become a mighty fighter, Jorin. I am most proud. But make sure not to let this pride get to your head. Ego can be a dangerous ally.”

“Yes, master.” replied Jorin.

“I think it will be best now if you were to go freshen up a little before the midday meal.

“I think you might be right.” laughed Jorin.

A month passed and still there was no word from Bel. Revan had taken command of a small fleet that had started to win countless battles across the Galaxy. Quickly gaining prestige among the Republic and the reputation of being one of the most powerful Jedi of the Order.

One on afternoon however, Jorin was walking along with one of his other friends who had not joined the War: Siek Til. He was a Twi’liek with extremely broad shoulders and a large upper body. There was a greenish hue to his skin, and his lekku’s twitched slightly as Jorin and he walked.

But suddenly, as they walked across the grounds, en explosion of blinding white hot pain erupted inside Jorin’s head; threatening to split his head in two. His breath was swept from his lungs and he collapsed onto one knee.

“Jorin!” said Siek sharply. “Jorin, can you hear me? What is happening?”

“Something . . . Bad . . .” spluttered Jorin, as he struggled to keep hold of his consciousness, “Bel … something … something …” But he would not finish the sentence as darkness crept upon the edges of his vision until all he could see was black. He was falling, deep, further down into the subconscious mind of his pain and worry. Stopping only went he felt his body fall into an invisible blanket of liquid which caressed his disturbed thoughts into submission.

Jorin woke suddenly. He could hear Siek’s voice; first far off, but then getting closer. Louder.

“Jorin!” Siek called through the darkness.

Jorin slowly opened his eyes and looked into the young Twi’lieks face.

Before Siek could ask, Jorin said, “Something has happened to Bel. I have to see the council.”

He stood up and swayed; he felt Siek grab onto his shoulders.

“I am OK.” said Jorin, “Thankyou.”

He left the Twi’liek looking confused and worried and proceeded to the council chambers. He did not stop running until he was standing in front of the group of Jedi Masters.

“You have felt it.” said Vrook, “The passing of Bel.”

“No.” said Jorin, shaking his head, “It cannot be true.”

“You know it is.” said Vandar.

“No!” yelled Jorin, “She would not do anything for herself to be killed!”

“Jorin!” said Vrook sharply, “Do not let anger cloud your judgement. Bel would not have wanted that of you.”

. “And we ask you of this: Do not do anything rash.” said Vandar, looking intently upon the Jedi Knight.

Jorin shook that off, “Rash?” he mocked. “I should have been there with her! It is because of me not stopping her is why she died!”

“It is because of her choice.” said Master Dorak. “Her choice and her choice alone.”

“No.” whispered Jorin, with a aggressive twitch of his lips, “She was not alone in her decision. Revan made her go . . . Revan made them all go! And look what happened to her.”

“If you decided to go,” said Vrook, “You shall be expelled from our Order.”

Jorin looked into the old man’s eyes. “Then so it shall be!” he said, ripping off his cloak and throwing it down at their feet. Hate swelled through him, anguish controlled his body’s movement. He felt hollow, inside. It was as if his entire soul had been stripped bare. He had no sense of where he was walking until he came upon a familiar face.

The resemblance was astonishing. The same, red-golden hair, the same coloured eyes. Astonishing for sisters who were not twins.

“I am coming with you.” she said.

“What?” asked Jorin. “No, your not Kairi. I have already lost Bel. I do not want to lose another friend.”

“She was my sister!” she spat. “If you just expect to leave to take revenge upon my sisters death against Revan, without me . . . You are mistaken.”

“Fine.” said Jorin. “Meet me at the Courtyard in another five hours, alright?”

“Why so long? What is the reason as to why we can not leave now?”

“I have somewhere I need to go. Something I need to find out. Just before I get back, find us a ship . . . Quietly.”

He turned and walked away, leaving Kairi in a state of confusion. Jorin did not even know himself as to where he was going, but something . . . Ever since Revan and Malak returned one afternoon from the Plains around a fortnight ago, they seemed different. That was when they started to preach to the other students about the War.

Jorin did not know exactly what had happened out here but he intended to find out. He traversed over the small foothills of the plains, passing large boulders that sat hither and thither across the landscape. Until he turned around a wall of moss surfaced rock and came across a set of old ruins. Detritus covered all around the ruins. Two rows of large column-like structures formed an aisle which led down to a large, thick-stoned entrance at the front of a medium-sized complex. Which was also of stone.

All of a sudden, a sense of ataraxia draped over Jorin and he slowly began to walk towards the structure as if in a trance. He could feel . . . Something . . . Something elusive, dangerous, powerful emanating from the inside of the structure. Something which he longed to have.

He walked up to the stone doors and slightly placed the tip of his index finger upon a carving of, of an unknown source to Jorin, and the doors very slowly creaked open to reveal a state of darkness beyond. The darkness was of no mater however. Jorin walked forwards and he was swallowed in the depths of the sea of night.

But as he walked, the room seemed to grow lighter. There were no light-torches, or any other power sources to produce this light for that matter, that Jorin could see as he looked around. The room had a gloomy feel to it, nothing what Jorin had ever felt before; the halls of the Academy were always full of bright light, life and laughter that made this dust-covered ruin depressing. He strayed towards an ancient-looking machine that was stranded in the middle of the room, but jumped back as the bucket-of-bolts jumped to life.

It started to speak in languages that Jorin had never heard, nor even knew what type of languages they were.

“I can not understand you.” he said plainly to the droid.

“What about this?” asked the droid in Basic.

“Yes.” nodded Jorin, “Yes, that I can understand.”

“Tell me, why are you here?” asked the droid.

“Let me do the asking around here.” said Jorin irritably. “Two people came here two standard weeks ago. Revan, and Malak. What did they find?”

“They found the location of one of the first Star Maps what lead to the Star Forge. Something the workers were working on.”

Jorin scoffed, “Ironic, don‘t you think?” he said. But his mind quickly returned to the Star Forge. Whatever this Star Forge was, it did not sound very pleasant. “What is the Star Forge?”

And for the next hour the Droid informed of the workers and the Star Map behind him, but he would not mention anything specific about the Star Forge. In the end, Jorin gave up on the Droid and proceeded with the “proving grounds” until he was standing in front of the object that had been emanating the power what Jorin sensed before coming into the ruins.

“It is a map alright.” said Jorin to himself, “And if what I am guessing is true: Revan and Malak are following this map to the other sectors printed out upon this computerized image.”

Jorin thought for a moment, studying the spots on the Map.

“Kashyyyk, Manaan, Korriban and Tatooine?” he said. After a while, he shrugged, clearly not being able to fully understand what the map was showing him, and decided to walk back out of the ruins and onto the plains once more.

He walked back to the Academy passing other Jedi as he went. Some gave him sympathetic looks, others, scared and wary gazes of distrust. As if he was going to jump out and attack them in rage. He looked to the ground and did not stop walking until his feet found the floor of his dormitory.

Jorin slumped over to the bunk and fell onto his back. And strayed into a world of thought. He had had enough of the Jedi Masters and their beliefs. Deciding to sit and argue amongst themselves the war drifted ever closer to their precious Academy. Jorin even suggested to himself that even if the Mandalorian Basilisk War Droids plummeted to the Plains of Dantooine, the Masters would still not even fight. Just try and some peace with the invaders.

‘Good chance of that ever happening.’ he said to himself.

Jorin sat up and looked out the window of his room. The sun had nearly set and he was meant to meet Kairi in the Courtyard in another three and a half hours time. He folded his legs beneath him and slowed his breathing down as he felt himself drown in the presence of the Force. He could sense the other beings pacing around in their own rooms, walking cheerily through the halls. None of their friends had died. No one they loved had perished . . . All because of the words of Revan.

His once long friend, was now his enemy, and he would stop at nothing until he exacted his revenge. Jorin could feel a slight shadow of a tear start to haunt his eyes, but he blocked them away. He did not need that weakness at the moment, and nor did he ever. Two and a half hours passed as Jorin thought of ways to find Revan; where he would need to go; what he would need to do. And when he finally came to full consciousness he stood and took a deep breath in. Getting ready for what he was about to do; leave the only home he had ever known behind in his own sake of quest. But if that was the consequence that Jorin had to endure for taking the life of his enemy, then so be it.

He walked to the cupboard where he kept a fresh set of robes hanging, and retrieved his lightsaber from the side-table that sat next to the bunk. Without even looking back into his room, Jorin switched the light off and walked down the halls and into the courtyard beyond. Leaving his past behind him.

Creating a new destiny. One that he would only decide on what would be to happen.

A very interesting start...I did notice a few minor grammatical errors: I just do not want to see you throw everything what you have done in your life, away.” would probably read better as "I just do not want to see you throw away everything you have done in your life."

Other than that I genuinely like what you have here so far, and I look forward to reading more.

Thank you, JediAthos ... Now I'll just go and see if I can find that to change t to the proper, lol.

Chapter 3: Desertion

“This way.” whispered Kairi, as she led Jorin down a passage way which led out of the Academy, “I was able to obtain a small transport shuttle from the local garage. And when I say ‘obtain’ I do not mean I walked up and asked if I could borrow it. So, we should hurry off this planet as quick as we can.”

Jorin smiled to himself, “Good work.”

She continued to lead him down a small trodden-down path which led down a small incline on the left side of the Academy. It seemed to Jorin they had been walking for about an hour before Kairi finally stopped him and pointed to a small clearing over a small gully.

“That’s our stop.” she said, “Just make sure to be careful on your way across the gully. These rocks can be slippery,” A few moments more of nearly losing his feet out from under him because of the slimed-covered rocks and Jorin and Kairi reached the vessel. Kairi lowered the loading ramp and they both entered. Wasting no time, they walked straight to the cock-pit. Kairi lowered herself into the pilots chair, while Jorin occupied the co-pilot’s.

“Before we go,” said Jorin, “Do you have any idea as to where to look for Revan?”

“Of course.” she said, and when Jorin questioned her, she rolled her eyes and said, “Just follow the path of destruction that he leaves in his wake.”

Jorin acknowledged her words as Kairi ignited the sublime engines and took the ship straight into the atmosphere of the planet and out into the sea of the star dotted space beyond.

“I cannot believe we are doing this.” he said.

“We should not of had to do this.” replied Kairi. “I swore to myself I would never do anything to even get close to be getting expelled from the Order.”

“We all make promises we cannot keep.” said Jorin bitterly, “Just like, Revan.”

“Don’t let that control your passion.” she warned comically, pointing her finger at him, “That can lead to the dark side. Or so I have heard, anyway.”

Jorin scoffed, “Apparently, so.” he said.

Jorin braced himself into the chair as she started the Hyper-drive and they were launched into Hyperspace.

“We will go to Serroco first.” she said, “That was where they were when it happened. Perhaps they are still there, now.”

Jorin nodded.

Kairi sighed as she placed her palms behind her head and lent comfortably into the over-sized chair. “Did you know I sometimes contemplated whether or not I should have stayed with the Order before all of this?”

Jorin shook his head and gazed at her in amazement, “But why? You were one of the top students.”

“I just did not want to become something that could never, feel love, sadness . . . Emotion in general. To be just an empty shell of nothingness, is not what I like to think as I life.”

This, Jorin had to agree with.

“I loved her.” he said suddenly. Kairi looked over at him.

“I know.” she said quietly. “I knew before you yourself even knew that you two were meant to be together.”

“I just wished I had realized that sooner.” he replied.

“Do not stray on things that you can not change from the past.” said Kairi

“Then what are we doing now?”

Kairi continued to gaze at him, choosing her words carefully before she replied. “We are acting. Not withdrawing into servitude of a past that will control us for the rest of our lives, if we let it.”

Jorin walked out of the small cockpit and into the main hold beyond. It was a small room. Containing only a small round table in the center and four chairs that surrounded it. There was only one opening doorway - apart from that which led back to the cock-pit - that led out of the main hold. This one was the dormitory.

Kairi said that they would not reach Serroco for several hours so Jorin decided that he would try and get some sleep. He laid himself down on the bottom bunk and after a time of just staring at the grey slate of the bunk above him, he slowly began to drift off into an uneasy sleep.

All of a sudden he felt a chill sweep down his spine all the way to the tips of his fingers. He quickly opened his eyes and looked to the figure sitting on the end of his bunk.

He knew that posture all too well.

“Took you long enough,” the voice of the figure said. ”I was sitting here for ages trying to wake you up. You are a heavy sleeper; always have been.”

“I was wondering when you were going to show up.” said Jorin, smiling slightly, as he sat up, wrapping his arms around his knees.

Bel looked at him.

“I am dreaming,” said Jorin.

“Well,” replied Bel, “If you are dreaming, then it is a very good dream.”

Jorin laughed, but stopped quicker than what he meant to “Why did you have to die?” he asked her.

Bel raised herself from the bunk and paced around the edges of the dormitory. “I did not die.” she answered after a long pause, “I am anything, but dead. I am . . . Free.”

Jorin considered this for a moment. “Yet, you left me behind.”

“It is not your time. You are not ready.” she replied.

“No.” agreed Jorin, “I may not be ready. And perhaps I may never be ready, not until I make sure I punish Revan for what he did to you.”

“Do not answer with violence Jorin, I beg you.” pleaded Bel, “It was not Revan’s fault that I have died.”

Jorin let a tear roll down the side of his face, “I just can not stand by and let your death go unjustified!”

“I died for what I believed in!” answered Bel, “That is justifiable for me. It should be for you.”

“No,” said Jorin sharply, “Revan made you destroy your life. And for that, he must pay.”

Bel lowered her head and pulled a cloak over her head.

“Then my time here has ended.” she said.

Bel walked slowly towards the entrance of the small dormitory and without a backwards glance, she turned and walked out.

Jorin got up quickly, smacking his head on the steel foundations of the bunk above, and rubbing his head, he made his way to the Main Hold. But she was gone.

He felt a soft, warm touch on his shoulder and spun around to see Kairi looking back at him. Taking a step back as he continued to stare at her.

“What is it?” she asked anxiously

“Am I still dreaming?”

“What? No, your not dreaming. Jorin, what is going on?” said Kairi

“I just saw Bel,” said Jorin, “She tried to persuade me to not go after Revan.”

“It can not have been her, Jorin. You know this.” Kairi said, delicately.

“It was her,” said Jorin. Somehow, he knew it had really been Bel whom he saw, “It was her.”

Kairi continued to stare at him for a while before she spoke again.

“We are coming up on Serroco.” she said.

“Then let’s do this.” said Jorin as he followed her to the cock-pit.

It's been an interesting read thus far, but could still use some polishing. I find it rather surprising that Kairi doesn't believe its Bel... From what we've seen of Bel, she seems to be a rather kindly girl who wouldn't go crazy wanting revenge.

Thanks, Beehoon. I find that if I am not writing the next chapter for this Fic I'm re-reading it and editing/re-editing it, lol.

It is only early in the story, and Kairi has plenty of time to grow, realize and understand 'some things'.

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 4: Let it begin

Jorin and Kairi pulled out of hyperspace to see through the front view port of the planet that which was Serroco. Before they had reached Serroco, Jorin was determined to do anything to get back at Revan; to lie, cheat, even kill.

But now that he was here, there was something at the back of his mind, telling him to pull back and turn away. It was like a battle of the light and darkness within him. Each side, clashing together emitting terrible waves of destruction throughout his mind and soul.

Kairi brought the ship through, and into the atmosphere of the planet. The sight what met their eyes was unbelievable.

The once stereb cities of steel and glass were smashed to the state of absolute destruction. Not a single building was left standing.

“Now we know why there was not much traffic to get into the atmosphere.” said Kairi. “The people are either dead, or have already left.”

“Still.” said Jorin, “There may yet be survivors. We should at least check and see if anyone knows where Revan has left to.”

“And if they try to get onto the ship?” asked Kairi heatedly.

“No-one gets on this ship.” said Jorin.

They docked on a small landing pad just off the coast.

“Stay with the ship.” said Jorin, “I’ll go see if I can find anyone worth talking to.”

“I don’t know who gave you the authority to order me about …-” said Kairi, “But I will stay with the ship. Just do not expect me to follow every order you give out.”

Smiling, Jorin walked out of the cock-pit and down the small loading ramp, amongst the wreckage on the ground below. The stench of battle was overwhelming, but Jorin did not hold his breath or over his mouth and nose with his robes. No, the stench of battle is for the strong.

On and on he walked through the battleground. Passing still bodies of Republican and Mandalorian as he went. Now, in death, they were the same. In life it may have been different, in their eyes … but you cannot deny the truth of death. What dies, and what lives … that is the only difference that sets apart every living thing.

The clouds overhead were not the normal foamy white what they would have been: instead they were the colour of blood-red and dark purple. The aura of pain, and suffering even tainted that of the air on this planet after a battle.

Noises brought Jorin’s gaze from the clouds back down to the ground he was walking on again and he spotted a tall, gruff-looking man walking amongst the bodies with a grim, yet desperate expression upon his face. Dark brown robes covered his body, and a tool hung from his belt: a tool, that Jorin knew all too well.

“You are Jedi.” stated Jorin when him and the fellow stranger met.

“I am.” nodded the man, “And as are you, I see.”

“Perhaps.” said Jorin. “If you fought here, you must have known Revan.”

To his surprise the man started laughing. “Of course I know Revan! I wouldn’t be a general if I didn’t.”

“A general?” said Jorin. “May I know the knowledge of your name?”

“Listen, kid.” said the man, “Drop the formalities, alright? This is war: there’s no time for such things … The names Jonas, however.”

“Jonas ….-” said Jorin softly, thinking back. He knew that name …- “Jonas Ghorn?”

“How do you know my name?” asked Jonas.

“I am Jorin, from the Academy.” replied Jorin.

Jonas regarded him for a second then said, “Yes, I remember you now. You disagreed with Revan when he tried to rally the Jedi to join the war … why are you here now?” added Jonas, looking at him carefully.

“I have come to see Revan about a … past event.” said Jorin, “Plus, I would like to see an old friend. Do you happen to know where he is then?”

“He left for Tattooine yesterday.” replied Jonas.

‘Damn it’ thought Jorin.

“I guess that that was not the answer that you wished to hear?” said Jonas intently taking in Jorin’s reaction to this information.

“No.” he admitted, “It was not. Tell me, Jonas … A lot of people died here, but I am only looking for one. Her name was Bel.”

Jonas looked down sadly at the blood soaked earth at his feet, then looked to the skies.

“The clouds move swiftly and the air is restless.” he said. Jorin looked at him confused. “A storm approaches,” he added, “We should head in doors.”

Jorin didn’t move a muscle as Jonas went to turn around, “Wait,” he said as he grabbed Jonas by the arm. “Tell me where Bel is. I know that you know where she is.”

Jonas sighed and pointed to the far east. There was a large body of dark coloured water, but beyond that there was a vast sea of mountains and tree’s.

“She had lead a squad over the water and into the jungles. That was a near standard week ago. Her death was felt not only a day later: there was no remains to be found. Just ash, and blood.”

“Thankyou, Jonas.” said Jorin, bowing his head slightly. “But I feel that I need to journey over there. For reasons, even I cannot explain, but I am compelled to see what is over there before I leave this planet.”

“By all means, do.” said Jonas, “But you will find nothing over there, except sorrow. For the voices of the dead still call over there. No voice can be distinguished fully however: they are all mingled together as if one person speaking a thousand words in a thousand different voices at once. Some say it to be dangerous to the mind, others, a fleeting moment of death rapped up into an eternity of living the last moments of their lives. I, however, dare not go over there … It’s got a queer feeling to it, that island. And I do not wish to step even one foot on its beaches.”

“Suit yourself,” said Jorin. “But you cannot persuade me otherwise. Thankyou for your information. May the Force be with you.”

“May the Force be with you.” said Jonas, bowing. He watched as Jorin turned on his heel and walked silently back to his ship before he turned away to the west and walked down to the bottom of a large slope that was home to a small transport shuttle.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For all who are interested, I'm sorry that I have to say that this story has come to a complete stop for a while.

I just can't come up with anything creative enough for it to be called "creative writing" .. so i'm giving the story a miss for now.

Maybe I will be able to get something up later on some time but yeah, don't count on it. (I'm not)

• 2 months later...

Yes, I have finally managed to squeeze out what sanity I have left and produce another chapter for this long, long, long work in progress. Hope you all enjoy. :)

Chapter 5: More than what they think it is?

Jorin looked up to the cloud dampened sky as he heard the low rumbles of a shuttle and seen a transport ship soar up and into the clouds above. He looked back down however as he spotted Kairi standing at the bottom of the ship that they stoles loading ramp.

“Well?” she asked him as he neared.

“Remember Jonas Ghorn?” asked Jorin. Kairi nodded, “Why?”

“I have just seen him. He said that Revan left for Tatooine yesterday.”

“Tatooine? Why in the Galaxy would he go there?” asked Kairi

“I do not know,” lied Jorin, “But he did say something about Bel when I asked him. He said that she led a strike team over to the forest occupied area over the sea. And when they went over there after her death they found nothing … apparently.”

“But you like to think otherwise, don’t you Jorin?” said Kairi

Jorin smiled, “You know me too well, Kairi; perhaps a little too well. But yes, I do think otherwise. There was something more to what Jonas was telling me. I could sense it. I plan to head over there now and find out what ever happened to her.”

“I’ll go and prep for launch then.” said Kairi, “Shouldn’t take long.”

Another five minutes had passed before they were in the air and speeding their way over to the flora and fauna scenery of Serroco. They landed in a small patch of free grass and walked out onto the surface of the planet. Automatically, as his feet touched the soft, dewy grass, Jorin was brought down to his knees.

It felt like a weight of sorrow and despair had fallen upon his shoulders: he could hear the soft whispers of the wind that carried the voices of the dead. Jonas was right. This place was queer. And if Jorin wanted to find out anything, he should do it quickly.

Against the will of the force that had dragged Jorin down, he raised and straightened his back and looked out into the dense thick foliage beyond.

He could feel a desire, a hunger, if not nothing else. His eyes seemed to be able to pierce the very molecules of the air until he could see faintly opaque shapes. They did not seem to of any harm to him, but he kept a close watch nonetheless. These shapes, taking on it seemed, a shape of half-human and half something else. For they had the upper torso of a human, but the legs were missing: all that was there was a faint trail of mist, dragging along the grass.

“Do you think they can see us?” asked Kairi

“You see them, too?” said Jorin, turning to face her.

“Of course, I can.” she answered, “Its not something that you would be able to miss. Even if you wanted to.”

“If they can see us,” said Jorin, “I do not think that they would do anything to harm us . . . Look at them: they seem to be too . . .” His voice trailed off: he saw something that made his heart drop and his eyes burn. The soft pale ghost of Bel floated towards them. Her eyes were not upon them, but yet she trailed slowly forwards, but as she closed in, Bel turned.

“Wait!” shouted Jorin. “Bel! It’s me, Jorin! … Wait!”

Bel continued to float away. Even when Jorin had stepped in front of her, Bel’s form continued on as if nothing was in her path: proceeding to flow right through Jorin. Causing him to feel that a tub full of ice cold water had just been poured over his body.

“I don’t care if you can here me or not, Bel!” he shouted, “I will find out what happened to you! I promise!” But her spirit just glided aimlessly away.

Jorin lead the way among the tree’s and boulders as the walked for hours that day. They stumbled upon corpses every now and then. Some fully decomposed, empty skeletons, others looking weeks or even months old. Mandalorians, Republic Soldiers, Jedi … Jorin realized, as he walked ever deeper into the forest, towards it center that, whatever side you were associated, it all ended when that stray blaster shot you forgot to block, or duck out of the way from, that one mistake: it didn’t matter. He looked down to the ground beneath his feet.

This, these miniscule pieces of brown earth that housed thousands of tiny organisms, this was what they were dying for. Not for honour, not for victory. Jorin couldn’t help but scrutinize the whole war.

The Galaxy in which they lived was huge. Large enough for them all: the Republic and Mandalorians to live and coincide peacefully. And because of the greed, the selfishness of every single being who was apart of this war; the politicians: who fuelled this cause for their own satisfaction; the soldiers: who obeyed these people to kill, to survive only to be able to kill; Revan and his followers: provoking the Mandalorians even more into fighting and destroying lives … those were the people who were responsible for this war, they were the cause for why it had started in the first place.

That brought his mind back to Bel. Was he accusing her of fuelling this was war just like all the others? Did he hate her for choosing to leave and fight?

‘Yes, and no,’ he thought to himself. ’If she decided not to go, she would still be alive, and I would not be here, but back at home on Dantooine. And in choosing to leave, she gave the Mandalorians one more reason to continue their ‘conquest’ and continuing to fight the Republic. But I do not hate her for that, at least, not as much as the rest of them. I know I cared for her and this gives me a biased reason to believe that she did not do what her heart told her to do, but followed in somebody’s shadow.’

“Do you dislike Bel for leaving Dantooine?” asked Jorin to Kairi when they stopped to sit down on a large thick log to rest.

Kairi took a while to answer. “No,” she said, “I do not dislike her. It was her decision: I just wished it was not the one she chose.” Jorin nodded in agreement.

“Listen, Jorin,” said Kairi, “I know what you felt for Bel and I know exactly how you feel. She was my sister: I feel the exact same loss as you. But you cannot let that drive you into a state where everything just seems hopeless. You cannot thrive onto a path in which you will fall from your rightful path, for I believe that you will become a mighty Jedi … But … if you continue on wanting, on desiring to kill Revan, than I have a feeling that you will not prevail, but lose everything that you have gained.”

“If I die, then so be it. There is nothing left for me in this world that I am in.” replied Jorin. “I used to think there was. That there was something more for all of us: but now … that feeling is all but a lost memory to me. To die and only walk aimlessly amongst dying trees and mist-flooded ground: that is something that I do not wish to desire upon myself. Nor any other, save one; his time will come.”

“But you do not know for certain that what has happened to Bel and the others is of a natural cause or if there is something much more greater at effect here.”

“That’s what I intend to find out.” said Jorin.

They did not know as to how many days they had spent searching in that forest. But trying to find something, anything, that could explain what had happened, was useless. A tear slowly made a trail of sorrow down the side of their faces as they walked back through the greenery of the forest back to their ship. Jorin made a promise to himself: ’I will come back and find out the truth, no matter how long it takes me.’ He knew how hopeless and ludicrous it sounded, but he didn’t care.

He did not look back as Kairi led the ship back into the atmosphere of the planet then out into space.

“What are we going to do now?” she asked.

“Revan went to Tatooine,” said Jorin, “our course lies there.”

“And so it begins.” whispered Kairi as Jorin entered the coordinates and the stars lined before them as they tore into Hyperspace: leaving Bel and the rest of the wandering souls behind.

‘Run!’ yelled Bel as herself and her squad tore through the dense jungles of Serroco, “We should not have come over here. Run! Do not look back. Run!”

She ran as fast as her legs could possibly allow, but no matter how fast she ran, the demon, the animal, whatever it was, was close on her heels. Gaining on every footstep. She could her the screams of agony from her squad and the high-pitched squeals of something far more terrible. Tree’s poured down to the ground behind her and her heart felt like it would soon beat out of her chest.

She could feel herself starting to slow down and her fear mounted.

Run. Run. Run.

‘Thoomp. thoomp. thoomp’ She could her something catching up with her, at last. She could see the clearing just ahead. If only she could break through the foliage blocking her way …

“Bel!” shouted Jorin as he flung himself out of his bed and landed on the floor.

There was a thunder of footsteps and Kairi came storming into his room.

“What is it?” she cried as she ran to help Jorin to his feet.

Jorin slowed his breath and calmed his thoughts. It was just a dream, he thought, just a dream and nothing else.

“Nothing,” he muttered as he got to his feet.

“It was a vision, wasn’t it?” asked Kairi, her eyes glinting.

“No,” said Jorin. “Just a dream, about Bel’s last few moments before her death. It’s weird ... I can still feel her fear coursing through my veins as my blood still boils. “

“As you said, it was just a dream,” said Kairi, “right?” she added.

“Right,” He looked down at Kairi. For a split second he thought he saw Bel’s reflection staring back at him, but once he blinked … she was gone.

“Something is not right,” he muttered, mostly to himself.

“Jorin, if you know something that I don’t,” said Kairi, “something about Bel, you better tell me now.”

“It’s not about Bel,” said Jorin. “Revan is up to something. I can feel it. And whatever it is, it is not in conjunction with being a Jedi.”

Kairi had a worried look in her eyes, but then sighed.

“Jorin,” she said, “whatever is going on with you is not any of my business but know this: I want to be by your side when the time comes when you face Revan. And you won’t be able to stop me.”

“I know,” he said, “and I wouldn’t try too.”

Kairi looked disconcerted by his lack of argument but said, “good. We will be at Tatooine in another few hours, I suggest you get ready.”

Kairi left Jorin in his room and went to the back to the Cockpit. Jorin sat on the side of his bunk and put his head in his hands.

“ … You should see yourself at the moment,” came a familiar voice. “Think of what Bel would be doing if she were in your position.”

Jorin’s head snapped up, making him feel a slight crack in his neck, but there was nobody else in the room.

For a split second, he thought … but no, it can’t be … it’s not possible!

Breathing heavily, Jorin got changed back into his robes and went to sit in the cockpit with Bel, until they reached Tatooine.

Archived