Home

When Will the War on Terror End?

SilentScope001

Well, here we go. Big question.

It's not that I am against the War on Terrorism, or that I am anti-War. I am Pro-War, and I am indeed somewhat supporting America...I do pay tax dollars after all.

But, well, I think I speak for the majority of people when I say that I am very, very bored of this current "War".

In World War II, cities were being fought over and territories were taken over. In the Cold War, the USSR and USA were staring each other down. Those were great wars. Wars are bloody, but at least these wars were interesting to watch on television, and people actually care about them.

Now, on TV, all we have to watch is American troops storming caves in the middle of a desert. Arresting people in houses. A couple bombings here and there in retaliation, but that's about it.

I mean, come on! You are battling against a military tactic, and against a small, pathetic army of gurellias who hate you. They target economic targets, but you are more likely to be struck by lightning than you are hit by a terror attack. Arrests, storming of caves, and lots of phamplet droppings...they are, essentially, uninteresting...and tedious.

I don't want to be seen as quite cold, but I rather that America's great military might not be wasted on this "war". Russia and China are growing powers, they could wage a war against us, if we accidentally provoke them. Iran might become a regional power and gain much influence. EU might become strong and united. India is becoming pretty mighty. It is all these nations that have the potential to be superpowers, to be mighty and grand...just like America. It is these nations that we should fear, and we should care about. A war against them would be quite interesting to watch, and it would be a great match. Whomever would win that war would inherit the whole world...

Instead, America is stuck battling a bunch of insurgents in the middle of nowhere, in an endless war with no end, and no beginning. We can't win, in fact, we can't lose either. We're just staying there, battling the modern equviliant of barbarians. Is this how America is going to die, to be fighting this annoying little "War on Terror", to be forced to watch headlines that "America killed terrorist leader", "America shut down Terror Cell", "America decreases terrorist attacks by 5%"...instead of battling those who are just as powerful as we are and engage in an actual contest?

Hopefully, the War on Terror will last 50 years before America unilaterally declares victory and engage in what I see as far more interesting conflicts...but what do you think? How long will this war last? Should it end?

I assume you meant to ask when imperialism will end. It won't end, because you'll always have some country trying to take over another country for "humanitarian reasons". And the Iraqi War won't end until we have stolen Iraq's oil which will be used by all you teenagers who think you need to have a car. By the way, I fixed your errors, and I have no idea what you mean by Russia has the potential to be a superpower when it already is. They are, after all, experts when it comes nuclear bombs. Hell, they even sold some of their nuclear missiles to Iran.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BBC isn't as "non-bias" as everyone makes it out to be just so you know...

Less drama in my opinion. Here in the states everything has to be dramatized but at least the Brits can tell it as it is. Plus I love the Brit humor, a liking I developed from my dept chair since he is a Brit.

JM12, it was just a joke. I originally typed something about how the war on drugs and poverty haven't ended either, then deleted it. Guess I should have used an emoticon.....

The "dig" at Edwards came from the following:

Edwards: Move Past 'War on Terror'

May 23 11:36 AM US/Eastern

By BETH FOUHY

Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK (AP) - Democrat John Edwards Wednesday repudiated the notion that there is a "global war on terror," calling it an ideological doctrine advanced by the Bush administration that has strained American military resources and emboldened terrorists.....

Archived