Home

Head problems.... ARGH!

SithRevan

I'm having head problems... specifically with Mission's head. I'm tryng to remap her texture and I've done it... and it looks awesome! The only thing I'm having problems with now is that replacer tool... everytime I try to go and use it to compile her head model it gives the model back it's old texture and the unfortunate thing is that I can't use MDLops's renamer function to fix it.

So I need some help. If anybody would be so kind as to render it to me I would be most in your debt.

Thanks everyone.

HEX edit the model.

open the mdl file in any hex editor and change the texture reference to the texture name of your file. Keep the new file name with in the same number of characters as the old texture. I think for heads there is only a few references maybe 4.

Could you describe in detail the exact steps your taking?

Okay first off just so you know I'm trying to remap mission's head so it uses one texture instead of two, the body model's texture and the head's texture.

Okay this is exactly what I did...

First I exported them out of Kotor Tool like usual and I used MDLops to convert them into ASCII (which BTW had the "Extract animations" box checked if that pertains to anything.)

I then imported the new ASCII into NWmax and remapped what I need to remap. After that I exported the newly mapped model into a folder where I renamed it and added the original head model files from the game into the folder. I then proceeded after that to open up Taina's Replacer tool and I then opened the old ASCII head model and the new one I created when I was prompted to do so.

Then, since I only remapped the head, headband, hair and the eyes; I continued to select those ones that I edited in Taina's replacer in both of the check box menus. I then exported the MDL and MDX file from there like it said to do in the readme file.

I then, just as a test to see if what I had done had worked, went into MDLops again and used to renamer function of MDLops on the newly created model and low an behold the the name of the texture for the part of the head that I remapped, the hair part, was still the original texture it had been before I remapped it.

So I hope that sheds more light on whats been going on and I also hope that it is comprehencible.:D

Thanks again for your help.

HEX edit the model.

open the mdl file in any hex editor and change the texture reference to the texture name of your file. Keep the new file name with in the same number of characters as the old texture. I think for heads there is only a few references maybe 4.

I have already tried that and it has not worked... I can try it again though.

Your not going to be able to accomplish reducing the textures from two to one using Taina's Replacer. This program does not recompile the model, it merely changes (hex edits) existing values for vertice / uvw coordinates. Neither will it change the names of the textures used, you would have to hex edit the mdl file as T7 suggested.

Edit:

If the names of the textures are the same length, you might be able to accomplish this by hex editing both names to the same thing.

And do note, that he UVW-mapped the lekku with the head.

On the orginal the Lekku are Mapped together with the body , and he did not remapped the body.

So he got 2 UVW-maps and Textures pointing to the same Part of the model .

Talked with SV about this in MSN , but he refusus to believe that this might be causing a probem aswell .

@SithRevan : Just to give people some more Info on this SR , ;)

Not trying to pull you down or anything .

I also have a question, concerning heads. :)

I have a simple reskin of a Twi'lek head, and I renamed it, because I want it to be a new model, not a replacer-skin.

But, I must get the model to refer to MY texture, but I don't know hot to do it. I'd appreciate some help.

The Twi'lek head-model I made a copy of, is still using the old texture, since I don't know how to point it to use mine.

So, how do I do it?

I've already tried to import it to 3dsMax, and replacing the skin from there, but when I export it again, the head does not show up in game. And since I don't really know what I'm doing, I probably screwed something up.

Oh, and I've tried to read several tutorials, but I didn't understand them, sadly.

(Shame on me.)

I also have a question, concerning heads. :)

I have a simple reskin of a Twi'lek head, and I renamed it, because I want it to be a new model, not a replacer-skin.

But, I must get the model to refer to MY texture, but I don't know hot to do it. I'd appreciate some help.

The Twi'lek head-model I made a copy of, is still using the old texture, since I don't know how to point it to use mine.

HEX edit the model.

You will then need to rename the mdl + mdx files and change the first file name reference in the mdl to match your file name(keep the names within the same number of characters)

Next you will need to add a new row to heads.2da follow the same format that is in the file, simply copy the row that is used by the original twilek model and paste it at the bottom of the 2da, But change the model reference to matchyour model.

Next you will need to add a new Row to appearance.2da, copy one of the "P" for PC rows and paste it at the bottom of the 2da. Change the value in the normal head column to the number of your new head row in heads.2da.

Next you will need to create a new row in portraits.2da again follow the format that is used in the file and add your new appearance.2da row number for the small med and large pc sizes.

This is only a brief summary of what you need to do as there are a few very detailed tutorials in these forums. take it slow and you should be able to figure it out.

Archived