Home

Create TSL Patcher version from source scripts

Darth Vanisher

Hello, want to ask a question.

So here now I have a source scripts received from a mod that I've downloaded (the .nss files). From there, I want to create the TSL Patcher version of the mod with the source scripts given there.

The question is, it is possible to create the TSL Patcher version of the mod only from the source scripts given there?

Thanks for your time. :)

Hello, want to ask a question.

So here now I have a source scripts received from a mod that I've downloaded (the .nss files). From there, I want to create the TSL Patcher version of the mod with the source scripts given there.

The question is, it is possible to create the TSL Patcher version of the mod only from the source scripts given there?

Thanks for your time. :)

Hmmm..... did you download the source files for the TSLRP? ;)

Those, even compiled correctly and installed correctly into their respective modules, will not give you the RP experience... they'll cause your game to crash. You can download their source so you know how to develop over it.

I apologize if this is not the case. Have you asked the author's permission to release a Patcher version of his/her mod?

Hmm...? TSLRP? The Sith Lord Restoration Project?

No, It's not the TSLRP. :) I don't play the PC version of TSL. :p

A mod that I mean is a single mod, stand alone mod for KoTOR I. That mod conflicts with the other mods I have, so I think it will be a good idea to have a TSL Patcher version of it--one that will install automatically to the Override folder and adds new lines to .2da file (that's the theory, but I haven't tried it myself :p).

For the permission, I haven't asked the author. I think I would like to know first it is possible to create the TSL Patcher of a mod only from the .nss files. If it is possible, and I know how to do it, I will ask the author after that.

Because, at this moment, I think I won't release it to the public, I just wanted to play the mod for myself. If later I decided to release it to the public, I will ask the author firsth is he/she allow me to release the TSL patcher of his/her mod. :)

So, back to the question, I think. It is possible? Thanks for your time. :D

You want to create your mod with a tsl patcher? There is no illegal in that, Stoffe created it exactly for that.

Anyways, if you mean that you want TSL patcher to compile your scripts then I say that it is not possible. TSL patcher is a installation program, it doesn't create mods.

Anyways, if you mean that you want TSL patcher to compile your scripts then I say that it is not possible.

huh? :confused:

TSL Patcher compiles my scripts in Kreia's Robes Mod just fine ;)

You WILL need to provide source scripts, but it has the capabilities of patching scripts just as well as any uti or 2da. Requires a little grey matter, or in my case, alot of questions, bribing and begging.. but it has the functions :)

we have the Tools, we have the Technology...

I knew I would regret not reading it :p

You'll probably regret it either way. :p Writing documentation is dreadfully boring work so I doubt it's very light reading. But it should work to look up specific things in at least. There should also be some descriptions of various features in the TSLPatcher thread in the modding tools forum, along with some "how-to" tutorials for how to configure it to perform some common tasks. I don't remember if using script compilation is among them though.

Usually you'll only want to use that if something in your script needs to be updated (usually dialog.tlk StrRefs or 2DA file references) and just provide the NCS files for scripts that don't need to be modified by the installer.

Hmm... I see then.

Have read the ReadMe file and understand (a bit). :p

But I'm having difficulty here...

May I ask it on this topic?

So, I have difficulty in using the ChangesEdit, about adding new lines for .2da files. Here's the case. I want the TSL patcher to create new lines for the .2da files (spells, upcrystals, and baseitems), so I choose the .2da files selection on the changes.ini tree. After that I add the .2da files I wrote above. Then it shows a blank modifier. I have read the readme file, and it tell me about comparing something. So I've tried to compare by clicking the "finger button" on the TSL patcher.

After that, the "Select ORIGINAL .2da to compare against" window appear. So I choose the upcrystal.2da that places in my Override folder. Then the "Select MODIFIED .2da to compare against ORIGINAL" window appear. So I choose the upcrystal.2da from the mod I have in the TSL Patcher folder.

After that it shows a bunch of lines. From there, I don't understand what to do next. How to make the installer add a new lines for the mod each time it's installed? I'm getting confused at this...

Thank you very much for your time... and your help.

After that, the "Select ORIGINAL .2da to compare against" window appear. So I choose the upcrystal.2da that places in my Override folder. Then the "Select MODIFIED .2da to compare against ORIGINAL" window appear. So I choose the upcrystal.2da from the mod I have in the TSL Patcher folder.

After that it shows a bunch of lines. From there, I don't understand what to do next. How to make the installer add a new lines for the mod each time it's installed? I'm getting confused at this...

When you pick the original file for the compare function to use you should make sure that this 2DA file does not contain any changes at all, it should be a clean one from 2da.bif. The utility will use this file to figure out what has been changed in the modified 2da file you then choose, so it's important it doesn't contain any modded lines already.

After ChangeEdit has produced a bunch of modifiers based on the differences it detected between the two files you'll usually need to modify those to set a few things by hand. You can edit existing modifiers by double-clicking them in the list, this brings up another editor window.

For changes to spells.2da you'll usually want to set the Exclusive column to label. This should prevent the installer from adding multiple lines if the user runs the installer more than once for some reason. (Make sure the label column for you new line(s) in spells.2da is set to some unique value.).

You'll also usually want to set either the forcefriendly or forcehostile (depending on if it's a targeted force power or not) to high() (it should be in the pulldown menu of the value field). This will ensure the power is always listed on its own and not grouped together with any other powers. (If you are adding a family of powers that should be linked together (like Wound -> Choke -> Kill) you should only set high() for the first power in the family, and then assign the value of that column to a 2DAMEMORY token, and assign that token to the forcefriendly/forcehostile column for the other powers.)

If you want to refer to your new power from elsewhere (GFF file or script) you'll need to assign RowIndex to a 2DAMEMORY token as well, and then assign that token to where you need to refer to the force power. (This would use the line number in spells.2dawhere the new power has been added).

If your power should have any custom power as prerequisite as well you'll need to assign that (usually via a 2DAMEMORY token) as well.

In short, the Compare function will only make modifiers of static values that differ between the files. Columns with values that should be dynamic (i.e. depends on what other changes might have been made to the file earlier, or refer to other lines, or references to new entries added to dialog.tlk) need to be modified by hand, as will saving any dynamic values to 2DAMEMORY tokens for later use.

Hmm... still confused here...

If I'm going to use the mod (that packed with TSL patcher) only for myself, which one that's better to choose;

1.) Comparing the original file from 2da.bif with the 2da on the mod.

or

2.) Comparing the 'original' file from the Override folder (that have included other mods I installed) with the 2da on the mod.

If I choose to select the second option, will it make difference with the first option? Will there be any different for myself during the game if I choose to comparing it with the .2da from Override folder either than .2da from 2da.bif?

Still confused here... what TSL patcher do is adding new lines for .2da, right?

CMIIW, and thanks for your time and help. :)

Archived