Home

Wish I could play Grim again..

gazzyace

Hey there folks , I absolutley love Grim Fandango and played it when it was first released a zillion years ago and still is a fav of mine but since I have a new computer it won't even install. All I get is this stupid mesg.. "The Win 16 Subsystem was unable to enter Protected Mode,DOSX.EXE must be in your AUTOEXEC.NT and present in your PATH." Like whats that??!!! Im no puty wiz and any help that could get me to play this amazing game again would be great. I so miss Manny and Glottis , I have Windows XP Media Version , Toshiba laptop 2GHz Processor ,1 GB Ram ,128 Vid Ram blah blah , and on my 24" ext screen man oh man the land of the dead would look sooooo cool but... *sigh* anyway any kind peeps out there that can offer some assistance would be much appreciated.

Take care.. Gaz

I had a problem similar to this when I had to install the game on Xp Service Pack 2, which involved the AUTOEXEC.NT becoming corrupted. All I did was find a new copy of the file (AUTOEXEC.NT), from a website which.....I can't remember and placed it into the System32 folder, overwriting the old one in the process :)

Do you happen to know if your operating system/processor is 64-bit? I believe Grim Fandango has problems with being installed on a 64-bit operating system as although 64-bit Windows can run 32-bit applications like Grim Fandango in a kind of emulation mode, it can't handle the 16-bit installation software that most older games use.

I'm sure this has been covered before and ways were found to bypass the installer, although I really can't rmemeber what they were. My advice would be to try searching for '64-bit' or perhaps just '64' in this forum, or Googling 'Grim Fandango 64 bit', and seeing if you can find a way to do it. I think it involves dragging files over from the CD.

Archived