Home

MI 1 & 2 Remakes?

.:Scyth3:.

yeah there is also a MI2 remake in the works. these guys need all the help they can get, so if you got anything, whether its words of encouragement or character animation skills, contact them and we should hopefully get these profects rolling.

MI1

http://www.worldofmi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6009&highlight=

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=179489

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=180449

MI2

http://www.worldofmi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4517&highlight=

• 4 months later...

Scyth3, I was working on a remake of Secret of Monkey Island a few years ago now, determined to bring the magic of my childhood to a new generation with the graphical style of CMI inspired by Paco Vink's artwork. I was working on the project in Adventure Game Studio for a few months, and had done enough for a short functional demo with the lookout point, docks, and town... then I lost heart in the project. I always knew that no matter how good I made it, how much effort I put in, the cannibals on the LucasArts legal team would shut me down the minute they found out about it. Sadly, I foolishly lost all the artwork I spent months on, so I can't show you fully what I was doing.

However, I just checked the free hosted site that I set up for the game and was shocked to see it still existed! With that, I give you a few small, blurry, pixelated messes that don't show even a portion of what I had achieved.

featjz5.jpg

newmh2.jpg

this one is barely worth showing, but it's a tiny shrunken cropping of the clock tower in town, which actually looked quite impressive in its original state:

backgba2.jpg

So anyway, I was so eager to get some people involved in this project and really get the ball rolling, but made the hard decision of cancelling it before LucasArts did it for me. Besides, I didn't want a remake without speech, and seeing as how I don't have Dominic Armato's phone number, it just wasn't to be.

It looks like it would have been fantastic! It's a shame you didn't get very far into it.

I know absolutely nothing about copyrights and stuff, but would LucasArts really have shut it down? Wouldn't it be OK as long as you weren't selling anything? Surely a remake of one of the earlier games would be a good thing for them (since I very much doubt they'll be doing one themselves), it would basically just be advertising LucasArts. Or am I on the wrong track altogether?

Hi SeaTurtle, thanks for the feedback! In regards to the whole legality thing, I once thought the exact same as you... surely if I wasn't selling the game for profit, then all I was really doing was advertising LucasArts, right? And the chances of them remaking Monkey Island is extremely unlikely, considering they just cancel anything to do with adventure games these days. Unfortunately, lawyers don't view it that way. They argue if you make a game with their copyrighted property, you are stealing from them, and a cease and desist letter is sure to follow.

There is a precedent here, with the remake of Maniac Mansion. It was released to the general public, and although LucasArts issued a cease and desist letter to the creator, they took no further action.

Looking back now, I think now that I'm older and wiser and a little more skilled, I could have really made that dream a reality... if only I could sure LucasArts is ready to give their fans a little more freedom to show their love for these classics. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

LucasArts has historically chased down fan games, however we actually have a legal agreement with LucasArts that allows fan games on LucasFiles. If you look at the big legal disclaimer when you sign up for LucasFiles (or submit a file), that's basically what LucasArts agreed upon.

This was actually one of the reasons for LucasFiles' inception, although it's not very well publicised.

Thanks very much Thrik. I read the submission agreement on the Lucasfiles site, and boyyy has it given me a bit to think about. Particularly this:

You may create a Fan Game (as defined in Section 2.6(a) of these Terms of Use... term "Fan Games" means modifications made to one or more of the Games... not for any commercial purpose (i.e. "Game Mods").

This is extremely interesting development, as under the agreement, LucasArts permits you to submit a fan game for approval, as long as it is a modification of an existing LucasArts game. While what I was making wasn't a game mod in the traditional sense, it does follow the same principle, which is changing certain elements of the original (in this case, that would be graphics and user interface for now).

I'm now going to give serious thought to unearthing the project I had so much fun working on all those years ago, and seeing how things turn out. Now armed with the latest streamlined version of AGS, and the potential to recruit skilled game designers who share my passion, we might have a chance at getting something done here. After all, I'll never know if I don't try.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived