Home

So... In Rainbows

Salzella

Radiohead's new album that they digitally released for free (if you want) today. :)

I have yet to get a chance to listen to any of the tracks yet. Suggestions as to which ones are the best?

Hmmm.... Well, the opener '15 Step' is good if you like strong beats, it's percussion is so good, and it's good some strong techno elements aswell, if you're more into guitar-based songs, 'Bodysnatchers' is great, 'Weird Fishes/Arpeggi' is amazing on every level, and 'Faust Arp' is really simple but beautifully composed, just acoustic guitar and string arrangements aswell as Thom's vocals. It's jsut a fantastic album though.

I'm ambivalent about this album. I don't find it as gripping as Kid A, as atmospheric as Amnesiac or as good of a hybrid of those two sounds as Hail To The Thief (which, overall, is probably my favorite Radiohead album). I'd heard it described as touching on all the important points of Radiohead's career, but I'm finding that to be inaccurate; I don't much like the production, and it's hard to separate the live percussion from the drum loops--which forces a comparison or at least a connection with Thom Yorke's solo album Eraser.

It definitely gets better on repeated listenings and requires a certain level of familiarity for enjoyment (an experience I also had with OK Computer and Amnesiac). I'm glad I paid for the download and I think their pay-what-you-want implementation was perfect...exactly the model of compensation that bands should be looking toward in the dawning post-industry era. Unfortunately, the compression on the files is horrible (a measly 160kbps) and I think that is likely affecting my enjoyment.

tl;dr -- The album is decent and I'm getting into it, but I'm still up in the air overall.

i *sort of* think the same, in that i agree it has all the points from their career. But i differ in that i believe it distills all the best parts; it has the guitar sounds and song-writing/compositional integrity of OK Computer (still their best though imo), the depth and texture of Kid A/Amnesiac, and it has some of the best stylistic attributes of Hail to the Thief, which in my opinion was a very flaky album, with some amazing songs (Where I End And You Begin, There There, etc), some really dodgy ones. Also, songs like the ones i mentioned in my earlier post are some of the high points of their career. And as you said, it grows on you. I think it's close to being their best work so far.

Archived