Home

Interesting idea

Totenkopf

What was he thinking

I think that the Sheriff officer just wanted to make some money.

Although the idea of making inmates in prision/ jail pay for room and board, may be enticing, but what happens when the inmate doesn't have the money to pay? Does the Sheriffs officer just throw the convicted persons back out on the street? I don't think so...

Prisoners work all the time, though I imagine they have some choice. In Joliet prison, the inmates can work in the optical lab. They learn how to make glasses, and the state pays them some very low wage (well below minimum), and they make all the glasses for the medicaid program (insurance for those below poverty level). They are required to meet the same standards for quality of product as the 'civilian' sector is, so it works well for everyone. The inmates learn a skill they can use when they get out of prison, and the state saves money since they don't have to pay them the usual wages.

Perhaps the prison should confiscate the wages (however low) to help defray the cost of incarceration or attach future wages if/when the convict goes ligit. I'd wager most prisoners don't want to stay locked up, even if only to return to the behavior that put them there in the first place. Not paying them wages for work done, but using that money to help pay for their 3 squares and a cot seems like a fair start under the circumstances.

@Rev7--that was a rhetorical question. Aimed more at what made him think he wouldn't get caught. Also, noone likely expects a convict to be able to pay the full $25000+/- that it costs to keep 'em locked up every year. Still, no reason they shouldn't be expected to foot some of the bill. A kind of karmic justice, as it were.

Cute, DE. However, you couldn't raise significant taxes off the wages of prisoners to make even a noticeable dent in their expense to the rest of the "taxed prisoners" (that's us) paying their way. ;)

*note: you could bill select people, like the Michael Milken and celebrities (actors/athletes/etc..), but your "suggestion" pretty much dies there.

Archived