Home

Processor Decision - calling all tech geeks!

Sabretooth

Why doesn't anyone else understand that? ;)

yes, that why I was suggesting the 8600... price over performance isnt an ideal sacrifice to make, but it is sometimes unfortunately a necessity.

I just loved how our esteemed colleageus ranted and ranted on about the 3850, me being a fanboy, and only in passing mentioned the cost factor, which was easily the most important factor.

tsk. tsk.

Dont worry sabre. I was in those shoes for 27 years. I know how it sucks to have people say

**"I have <insert 1337 kit model number>" when you have something woefully outdated/if anything at all

or,

***"youre an idiot if you get that! Its crap !! get this <insert>"

..when you frickin cant afford either.

some people either dont know, or dont care what is like to be at anything more than a mild disadvantage. I muse that living in a so called "1st world" nation does that to people.

mtfbwya

at last, its taken 28 posts to seriously consider the cost factor in making a recommendation :)

better late then never :)

The x1950 is a good choice if you want to edge on and over 1280x1024 for your gaming.

Considering sabrez is running XP, theres no reason why he shouldnt go for a DX9 card :)

Those prices on the x1950s are decent too, considering the somewhat equivalent in performance 7950GTs are still being sold for $160 +

and here's some numbers relevant to a game I know sabre plays :)

hl2-1280.gif

please note: anything above 60fps is wasted on your humble eye's flicker ;P Those 180+ FPS are just useless, why report them ??

mtfbwya

Considering sabrez is running XP, theres no reason why he shouldnt go for a DX9 card :)

Actually, one of my criteria here is DirectX 10 support. I may not like or have Vista now, but until someone magically invents the DX10-on-XP Potion, I have to go for it, if I'm asking for longevity.

Also, a second obstacle here is availability. Alright, this isn't in your hands to find out what's available where, but I do know this much that ATi is much rarer here than NVIDIA. I'd have to look crazy hard, and then haggle crazy hard for those cards. NVIDIA is a lot, lot more popular and the 8600 is the hottest card going on here (because of the directx 10 and low price and stuff), but as I've said before, I'm going to wait for the 8800GT.

Dont worry sabre. I was in those shoes for 27 years. I know how it sucks to have people say

**"I have <insert 1337 kit model number>" when you have something woefully outdated/if anything at all

or,

***"youre an idiot if you get that! Its crap !! get this <insert>"

..when you frickin cant afford either.

some people either dont know, or dont care what is like to be at anything more than a mild disadvantage. I muse that living in a so called "1st world" nation does that to people.

Listen to man, all you Capitalist Pigs! :xp:

yes dx10 on xp is UNPOSSIBLE

that being said nothing i've seen or heard about dx10 has been anything i'd waste extra cash on.

Im not sure any of us have really experienced it -- even if we wated to !!

Hardware hasnt caught up, and devs are just starting to get their heads around the SDK

With even the most brutish(8800GTX) of kit taking a walloping by crysis, it'll be a little while until nvidia and ATI bounce back. Im having trouble imagining any kit slated for release that will do crysis doing 1080p -1600p at very high settings in less than 10-12 months.

It's quite interesting though, I myself cant remember a time in the market where a game was far beyond the requirments of the kit. Even back when Doom3 had our jaws dropping, those with the highest end cards were doing well.

Im looking forward to seeing their response. Its good that the games themselves have become the impetus for creating better hardware, rather then simply churning out bigger and better and more zeros and X's after a model name :D

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought I'd update you guys on the situation. I'm going for a base PC right now, with the following specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33 GHz

2GB (DDR2-533 SDRAM - dunno about that, though)

Intel DG31PR Motherboard, 1333 MHz FSB

No graphic card right now, because I'm waiting for the 3850 or the 8800GT, whichever comes here first and cheaper. :D Stinger is tempting me with an offer I cannot refuse, though. :D

I recently upgraded my GPU to a 128Mb GeForce 6800, and that's just old DDR2 memory on that, so running at 1024x768 I could definitely recommend that kind of GPU with more memory (GDDR3 preferably) to run even contemporary games atm (which is very good on a very low budget)

I have to agree with some people on here though, the current king of mid-range is the HD3850, especially if you stay under 1680x1050, best bang per buck by a mile IMO...

For your RAM, if your mobo supports it, go for PC-6400 800Mhz (and get two sticks of 1Gb to run in dual-channel), it's better than 533Mhz (it runs almost twice as fast) and it's usually about the same price, Corsair memory is usually quite cheap and very good quality.

Another few tips:

*Get a good case with good airflow or make sure your current case has good airflow or buy some extra fans, you want to have at least 80mm intake/exhaust fans, though some 120mms one would be ideal as they can spin slower (thus quieter)

*Get a good power supply (at least 500W for your components) and though you can get some for like $20 or something, it's worth looking into the better brands and spend a bit more money, as the tend to be more energy-efficient and will save you money on your electricity bill in the long run, (80% or more efficiency is respectable IMO)

I depends what you value more, your immediate PC bill, or your upcoming electricity bill ;)

*It's always a good idea to look up reviews online of the parts you want to but just to get some feedback and see what possible problems you can run into (it can run from simple things like stuff not physically fitting in your case to driver issues etc...)

I know it's not the info you asked about in your first post, but I thought I'd throw it in just in case cause it's some components that are easily overlooked but can make the difference between your system sitting chilly n steady and it being really hot and temperamental...

Archived