Home

Building a new system!

Rogue Nine

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Niner...is there a reason you want it at 3.2GHz, even if it is stable, does it really make a difference to gaming n such ??

of course, there is also the e-penis factor(ie. "mine is bigger than yours!"), which motivates all overclockers :D

the e-penis stuff gets me mainly when it comes to displays/resolutions, rather than clockspeeds :p

mtfbwya

Every clock counts when it comes to single-core games. I noticed an improvement in C&C 3 even when I just bumped it up from 2.4GHz to 2.7GHz. The only time you're not going to see a difference is when the game is so light on CPU resources that you've already got it well covered with 2.4GHz (mostly first-person shooters). Games that eat CPU such as real-time strategies and simulations are where overclocked processors get a chance to shine. :)

Well, it's my very first overclocking endeavor, so it's really about experimentation as well as improving performance. It's more of a learning experience than anything else. :3

I'm planning to throw CoD4 at it soon, maybe Bioshock too, so we'll see if that extra .2 makes a difference. xD

I'm planning to throw CoD4 at it soon, maybe Bioshock too, so we'll see if that extra .2 makes a difference. xD
well, you probably won't see much improvement with either game since Bioshock depends almost exclusively on having a duel core and CoD4 is VRAM dependant. either way, you should be able to run both games at 1280x1024 (or higher) with all settings maxed. if you can't, i would be seriously shocked. ;)

Eh, we'll see. I'm probably gonna pick one of the two up after work and give it a go, so we'll see how my system takes it. I've been playing a lot of Hellgate London on it and there have been a fair few hiccups, but that's mostly because of HGL's subpar online client performance and not really reflective of the system as a whole.

Thriky, I want to be able to play Starcraft II when Blizzard finally does decide to release it upon the masses (thereby sending the entire nation of South Korea into a frenzy), so hopefully it will be able to take the strain.

EDIT: Picked up CoD4 and ran it at max settings without any hiccups for about three hours. My 8800GT didn't go over 45C and the CPU didn't go over 40C. I just stopped playing 5 minutes ago and the GPU is already down to 38C and the CPU is at 33C.

Ridiculous. :joy:

EDIT: Picked up CoD4 and ran it at max settings without any hiccups for about three hours...

what rez niner? I havent bothered with cranking up all the bloom n glows, and have left it at whatever the game picked initially, and just changed it to 1900x1200. If I did put that other stuff at max, I doubt the 8800GTS would like me much for it at 19x12(let alone 1600p)

mtfbwya

...so it's really about experimentation as well as improving performance. It's more of a learning experience than anything else. :3

if only everyone was so diligent about improving their love-making overclocking prowess :D

And omg widescreen in FPSes is godly. :3

yes, once you gone oblong, you can never go back. 1680x1050 is OK, but if you ever have the chance to upgrade your monitor, a WS native 1080p will be well worth it. Monitors are getting cheaper by the day now, and with OLED creeping in, LCD prices will continue to drop even further.

mtfbwya

Archived