Home

Adding Completely New Dialogue

Caedus

Hey all,

Before I begin, I will say that yes, I have read the tutorial on making new dialogue, and found it quite helpful.

However, the tutorial didn't really say how to add this dialogue to an already existing character or a new character... I'm kid of curious how to do this, as I have a new dialogue script ready and waiting...

Which tutorial was it?

If you have a dialogue editor you can extract the .dlg files you want to edit from the module they're from using Kotor Tool, and then edit them using said dialogue editor. Afterwards save the new dialogue in your override folder.

To be safe it's better not to have visited the area where the new dialogue is to be fired so you know the game will reference your edited .dlg files for sure when you first enter.

Depends what character you want to attach it too. Tell me what character you wanna attach it to and I'll tell ya how to extract the .utc file and all that.

I'd like to attach it to a random character, like one of the civilians on Taris or Tatooine. I think it'd be cool to be able to talk to random characters in the "cutscene" style like you do with your party members. That's what I'm trying to accomplish...

To attach custom dialog to an npc, simply open the .utc file, go down to the conversation field and type the name of your custom .dlg file (without the extension).

However, if you decide to attach the dialog to a civilian on Taris or Tatoine, make sure that the .utc file is unique. Bioware and Obsidian often use the same filename for different objects in different modules. You can do a quick search with findrefs to verify that your file is unique.

I've been experimenting with stuff all day, and they've all pretty much worked!

I'm on Manaan, and I found the dialogue for a random Selkath and changed it so that I could have a conversation with him. Alien species are easier, I'm finding, because you can use the default voices for them, whereas with humans you'd need completely new files...

I still have yet to add *completely* new dialogue, though. That's next.

Archived