Home

Chris Avellone to be the lead designer on OEI's U3 project

Pavlos

Source.

Spotted this over on the Obsidian forums so no, Ed, I'm not stalking him. Not any more, anyway >_>.

Mitosda is the creative lead on Project Georgia. Avellone is the lead designer.
We still don't know what Project Georgia is but everything Avellone turns his hand to seems to turn to awesome. As to what the in the Hell a lead designer does at Obsidian, well that answer comes courtesy of the recently assimilated Monty:
Creative Leads are the driving force behind story elements, characters, plot, etc. The Lead Designer can be the Creative Lead - they are not mutually exclusive - but separate people might hold the positions as well. For example, George Ziets was the Creative Lead on MotB and Kevin Saunders was the Lead Designer. A project might also have a Lead Systems Designer who is to gameplay systems what the Creative Lead is to story and characters. There is sometimes a Lead Level Designer as well, depending on the requirements of the project.

According to EGM rumor mill, Project Georgia (to be published by Sega) is "the CIA spy-themed thriller RPG". Surfer girl said it is "an action-RPG thriller in which the most sinister conspiracy of modern times is unveiled".

Brian Mitsoda, currently the creative lead on PG, worked as (lead) writer/designer on Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines at Troika Games.

The only fact I am concerned about on PG is the lead designer was recently changed. Raymond Holmes, the former lead designer, had been worked on PG for about a year and a half. It seems he left Obsidian about some months ago. The period of time Avellone has been working as lead designer on PG are just several months.

Brian Mitsoda, currently the creative lead on PG, worked as (lead) writer/designer on Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines at Troika Games.

Avellone and Mitsoda? You can consider my interest piqued. :)

Let's just hope that they don't have too many "creative differences."

I smell quality.

With it being unannounced, that means it most likely a brand-new project. Considering Chris has said he'd like to work on Kotor 3, and if he did use the U3 engine, I'm not getting my hopes up, but I can pray and hope this might be Kotor 3.

Unfortunatley, it's definitely NOT Kotor 3. Project Georgia (on wich Avellone is lead designer now) is for SEGA = it's not K3. :(

I suspect that it's the spy-themed RPG that we've heard rumours about already. Definitely not K3, though.

Avellone working on something new that isn't an existing franchise or a sequel, and isn't sci-fi or fantasy = dreams come true though.

:)

Let's just hope the Fallout Lightning strikes again, instead of us getting another TSL/NWN2 OC.

NWN2 was not written by Chris Avellone - he did design work on it (he can be credited with the trial sequence which, despite the lack of consequences, is one of the finest pieces of roleplaying this side of the galaxy ;)) but he wasn't the large fromage.

Archived