Home

Widescreen mod

I put this up a few weeks ago over on WGSF, but didn't think to post it here.

I've edited HUD files and menu backgrounds for Kotor 1 to support widescreen resolutions. Combined with an existing patcher that allows widescreen resolutions to be selected, this makes the game fully playable at most common widescreen resolutions. Unfortunately some lower widescreen resolutions don't work and we will probably never be able to fix those, but any resolution at or above 1440x900 will work.

Instructions and downloads here: WGSF hacks for SW:KOTOR

I went through the trouble of editing the HUD files myself. It took quite some time to change all of the values. If only I'd known that someone will go ahead and do it for everyone, I wouldn't have to force myself to edit those files with more numbers than my eyes can see. :p

Hey stevedroid, thanks for the links. How is your 1440x900 HUD hack different from Malakius'?

It's the same method, I learned of it from him. However, Malakius didn't center the combat queue and I think he missed a couple of other small things. Based on my conversations with him, I think he was adjusting things on a control by control basis, based on whether he recognized them, but I used a more generic method. In addition to the altered hud, I have fixed the 2D backgrounds for the loading, inventory, pazaak, etc. screens.

Does your version fix the mine problem? Just thought I would ask before downloading and replacing an existing mod.

I am not familiar with the mine problem you're mentioning - I never actually used Malakius hud in-game, I just took a quick look at the file to get the gist of what had to be done.

Based on context I'm guessing the mines action button or the arrows weren't working? To be honest, I didn't test every single interface button for each resolution I did, but I know the mine button is fully functional at the resolution I use (1530x864 - the weird one because of the text problem) and I used the same method to modify all of the resolutions.

Very cool work! So how am I supposed to downscale from 1440 x 900 to my 1280 x 800 native resolution. You mentioned this on the wiki, although it has failed for me so far. Is there some sort of method I need to employ? I use a Nvidia 7600 go series.

UniWS won't let you get 1280x800 (KotOR freezes when you try to run this resolution). 1440x900 is a nearly identical substitute that doesn't cause the game to choke and die when you want to run it.

1) Download and run UniWS

2) Select "Star Wars: KOTOR (1024x768 interface)" from the drop-down.

3) Use the file window to browse to your SWKotOR folder

4) Enter "1440" for Width and "900" for Height (without the quotes)

5) Click the Patch button.

6) Download the 1440x900 HUD Correction patch

7) Extract to your Override folder

8) Enjoy!

Here's another screenie with the HUD up.

UniWS won't let you get 1280x800 (KotOR freezes when you try to run this resolution). 1440x900 is a nearly identical substitute that doesn't cause the game to choke and die when you want to run it.

1) Download and run UniWS

2) Select "Star Wars: KOTOR (1024x768 interface)" from the drop-down.

3) Use the file window to browse to your SWKotOR folder

4) Enter "1440" for Width and "900" for Height (without the quotes)

5) Click the Patch button.

6) Download the 1440x900 HUD Correction patch

7) Extract to your Override folder

8) Enjoy!

Here's another screenie with the HUD up.

Unfortunately still doesn't display properly. Display goes wide screen but part of the screen is cut off. :confused:

Try this step 2 instead:

2) Select "Star Wars: KOTOR (1280x960 interface)" from the drop-down.

I checked my settings and that's what I have. It may be that the smaller setting with the larger HUD is causing the clipping. I hope that helps.

PS: Please let us know if that works :D

Here is an image of my problem, it seems to be displaying in 1440 x 900 as specified. Although I can't get it to scale on my 1280 x 800 display. Is there a way in my video card settings to display the whole image?

Hello,

I think I succeed to make kotor work in the 1280x800 mode:

That is not the "ultime-solution" but it pretty work :)

what is my solution ?

I think that Kotor1 will never work in a true "1280x800" mode because of the support of the "1280x1024" mode with the 1.03 patch. So i tried to run kotor in "1288x805", and it works fine :lol:

The 1288x805 mode looks very close to the 1280x800 mode.

how to make kotor run in wide screen mode ?

1) Run UniWs and patch kotor.exe (1024x768 interface ) to width 1288 and heigth 805

2) Then edit the swkotor.ini located in your kotor folder :

Width=1288

Height=805

3) Run swkotor.exe, and the game will run in wide screen mode !!!

I hope it will help you :)

PS: i'm sorry for the grammatical mistaken : i am french :)

Hello,

I think I succeed to make kotor work in the 1280x800 mode:

That is not the "ultime-solution" but it pretty work :)

what is my solution ?

I think that Kotor1 will never work in a true "1280x800" mode because of the support of the "1280x1024" mode with the 1.03 patch. So i tried to run kotor in "1288x805", and it works fine :lol:

The 1288x805 mode looks very close to the 1280x800 mode.

how to make kotor run in wide screen mode ?

1) Run UniWs and patch kotor.exe (1024x768 interface ) to width 1288 and heigth 805

2) Then edit the swkotor.ini located in your kotor folder :

Width=1288

Height=805

3) Run swkotor.exe, and the game will run in wide screen mode !!!

I hope it will help you :)

PS: i'm sorry for the grammatical mistaken : i am french :)

Thanks for all the help badock, and achilles. I've been able to get it wide screen using 1281 x 801. Although the tool bars aren't perfect they are acceptable.

• 2 months later...

Tried this mod but it doesn't seem to be working correctly for the HUD.

I am using 1680x1050.

I follow the steps exactly, to the letter.

The game itself is running in 1680x1050 but the HUD is not. The character portrait is in the middle left edge of the screen (should be lower left), the hotkey bar is in the dead center of the screen (should be lower right), the menu button bar is dead center top of the screen (should be upper right)

When downloading the HUD patch, for 1680x1050, and extracting, every item in the folder says 800x600.

Should I rename all the 800x600's to 1680x1050?

Or...what might I be doing wrong?

• 2 months later...

EDIT: I got it to work. I did something wrong. *shrug*

I've tried using the gui files stated for 1920x1200, but all it does is shift the gui to the left side of the screen in a 4:3 ratio. In other words, it doesn't display the gui elements on the far right, but about 1/4 from the right side, in the "middle" of the display.

Widescreen mode works great, however. :)

Any suggestions?

I'm having a problem with this little hack. I'm trying to run the game in my native resolution of 1680 x 1050, everything works and looks great in-game; but my problem arrives whenever an FMV plays. Whenever a cutscene occurs the screen freezes but I can actually hear the audio for a few seconds, and ultimately the game crashes or else I have to kill the program in the task manager.

Oddly enough, the game's opening cutscene works just fine, but I'm currently about ready to leave Taris and whenever the bombardment scene begins to play the problem occurs. I've noticed that if I change my resolution back to something lower the problem is eliminated, but I'd rather get it working in my native resolution if at all possible. If nothing else can be done however, than I suppose I'll just have to keep lowering my resolution whenever the game's FMV's are about to trigger and then switch it back afterwards.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions if anyone has any... TIA.

BTW, I am running the game on Windows Vista 32 bit home basic, I have disabled UAC and am running the game in Admin mode. I've even tried running the game in XP Compatibility mode but it doesn't help.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived