Home

[FIC] - A Growing Darkness

Prologue: A New Era.

“You are no more, Malak,” said Revan, as he held the blood red lightsaber to his former apprentice’s throat. “You once thought you had destroyed me. Stripped me of my mantle, and thrown my memory aside. You were wrong. Much as you are now. My blade caresses your throat, and yet you do not flinch. Is it because of your own arrogance? That you still cannot, and will not, ever truly believe that I have defeated you for a second time? Or it is because you finally now know the truth: I can never be, just thrown aside. I will always be apart of your memories, your future, your very being. This, you cannot change.”

He stood in the very centre of the Viewing Platform on the Star Forge. Little beads of sweat stained his forehead, but the Sith standing there disregarded them. He looked out of the window as Malak spluttered patches of blood onto the floor. Republic ships, little specks in the distance firing the green batteries at the oncoming Sith onslaught, even as hopeless as it were.

“You...” coughed Malak. “You, are the true Lord ... Lord of the Sith. I see it now. At the end of all things, I see it now.”

Revan scoffed. He bent down on one knee and placed his lips right next to Malak’s ear. “No,” he whispered. “Not at the end of all things. For you, maybe. But for me... the Republic is in tatters Malak. The fleet is crumbling and the Galaxy is closing in on itself. On the brink of destruction, a new empire will arise. The Sith Empire: my empire. But for you, you will not see it. In darkness you fall now, and all you will find there is my face glaring down at you from above with a sneer that will remind you of what you have lost. I curse you to the blackest depths of the Force. Bathe in its emptiness. My apprentice...”

With that, Revan stood back to his feet and sliced his lightsaber horizontally. Cleaving Malak’s head clean from his shoulders, making it roll across the already blood soaked floor of the magnificent factory. Revan took one last glance at the battlefield that awaited him, and turned to walk back down the platform and back to Bastila.

“Is it done?” asked Bastila excitedly. “Did you kill him?”

Revan looked deep into her eyes. They were grey, but yet Revan noticed the smallest taint of green. He did not know if this was just a trick of the light however, but what Revan could see was the hungry yellow in the very corners. She was not completely devoted to the dark side yet, but that did not matter. Soon, she shall.

He nodded. “Yes, my sweet. Malak is nothing now.” He nodded towards the door that eventually led its way back to the Hanger Bay. “Come,” he said. “Battle awaits!”

Revan sat in the co-pilots chair, as Bastila sat herself in the pilot’s seat. He would leave this task up to her: their own survival was all that she would need to care about. If they died, then all they had accomplished would have been for nothing. If they died, Revan would find her spirit in the afterlife, and crush it completely. There was no more need for her Battle Meditation: the Republic Fleet was decimated and would fall to utter destruction soon enough.

“Fly sharp,” he said.

Bastila nodded, and lifted the ship off the floor and led them out of the docking port and out into the vacuum of space.

“Canderous,” said Revan over the comlink. “We’ll be coming in hot, make sure you have those turrets at the ready.”

“You got it, Revan,” came Canderous’ reply. He smiled inwardly. How ironic it was that just a few years earlier, he would have been the one in the turrets aiming at the ship that was the Mandalorian who now followed him.

“T3,” continued Revan. “Patch me through to all the ships in the area. Republic and Sith. There is something I need to tell them.”

He heard the obeying beeps and clicks from the small droid and noticed the change in sound in the comlink.

“People of the Republic and Sith!” he said. “The war is over. The Ships that remain of the Republic fleet, surrender now and I give you my word that you shall survive this day. Join me, and I shall reward you beyond your wildest dreams! What say you?”

There was a moment of eerie silence then, “we will never join you, Sith! We will die first!”

Revan sighed. “Very well.” He said as he turned to Bastila. “It is time. Destroy every Republican there is here. None shall live after this day.”

Bastila smiled and swung the ship in a flip manoeuvre and brought it around to steer towards the closest Republic Cruiser. Batteries fired in all directions, but with the damage it had sustained, the shields were depleted, and it went down in just one pass. Revan used the auto-targeting lasers to strike any incoming suicidal attacks. Which, surprisingly, were in many a number. The Ebon Hawk swung “up” and around the broken remains of another Cruiser analog and swerved to the “left” and “right” to evade incoming laser blasts. Bastila dove the ship downwards and noticed one of the cruisers leaving the fight.

“Oh, no you don’t Vandar!” she said through gritted teeth.

She drove the ship as fast as it could towards the cruiser before it could reach its hyperspace point. All the cannons on the beautiful ship glistened in the darkness, and sent red laser blasts towards the critical points in the ship: parts fell away, but the ship kept moving. Then, Revan saw shots from Canderous’ turret, fly towards the ships front cockpit. Several smaller Sith Fighters made their own way towards the large ship, bombarding it with their lasers. He saw shattered glass spray forth into the vacuum, then the bodies. More lasers from the turrets brought the rest of the ship apart in half pieces, and then made both halves explode.

“Well done,” Revan said to Bastila. “We are lucky he did not get away. He was one of the most powerful masters in the Order.”

Bastila just nodded. Thoughts straying in and out of her mind...

The battle was not a battle at all, thought Canderous as he let the turrets more or less fire themselves. Revan was slaughtering these people. And so they deserved it. They turned to flee, but the cowards were soon brought to bay by the batteries of the Sith cannons. Twisted metal floated aimlessly through space, but they evaded every one.

Revan was flying well.

Ships flew this way and that, and Canderous led the turret to wherever a target revealed itself: Piercing it with the utmost precision. It was only he was aiming for one of the Republic command vessels; he noticed that they were heading back to the Star Forge. He stood out of the chair he was in and walked out into the Main Hold.

Revan was there waiting for him.

Revan watched the Mandalorian walked towards him. Shoulders straight and head held high, he was a true warrior at heart. A person who would only do things that would benefit himself, not caring about what it would cost to the others around him. This was what he liked about him.

“Canderous,” said Revan, “my friend. Nice shooting!”

“Thanks,” replied Canderous. “Nice flying!”

“That was not me,” said Revan. He nodded back to the cockpit. “That was all Bastila,”

Canderous shifted one eyebrow. “Wouldn’t have guessed, I didn’t know she could fly.”

Revan nodded. “She is full of surprises. But that is not what I want to talk to you about. What I want to talk to you about is what mission I have for you. Even though the Republic has lost this war, there are still liabilities that would eventually lead to distractions that could undo us if they are not dealt with accordingly. That, we can not allow.”

Canderous nodded. “What would you have me do, Revan?”

“Go back to Rakata Prime. Find Carth, and capture him. If he will not turn, kill him. It is as easy as that.”

Canderous nodded once more. “I will leave immediately.”

Revan smiled. “I will send a small assortment of troops to assist you on Rakata Prime. The Star Forge’s ships will be enough to get you there and back again in one piece. If you come across any more of the Rakata, kill them. We can not have them running about with the knowledge they could obtain. Destroy the temple that holds the secrets of the Star Forge. That is all I ask of you.”

“It will be done,” said Canderous.

The ship docked in the one of the many Hanger Bays of the Star Forge. This one just happened to be closer to the viewing platform and the dormitories that lay nearby.

Bastila walked out of the cockpit and went into the Main Hold. She stood in the darkness as she watched Revan and Canderous finishing their conversation. She wondered what they could be talking about. But before she could even start guessing, Canderous turned and left, leaving Revan standing alone.

“You can come out now,” he said amusingly.

She smiled as she started walking forwards. “What is on today’s agenda?”

“We travel to Korriban,” said Revan without hesitation. “The Academy there is the perfect place to start rebuilding the Empire. It will be our standing point. Then, when we are ready and before the Republic can re-establish any defences, we will strike the core worlds, leading all the way to Coruscant.”

“But...” started Bastila. “The last time we we’re at Korriban, we slaughtered nearly the entire Academy. How would there be enough Sith left?”

“I already know about that," replied Revan. "And I also know that there are plenty of Jedi out there. Jedi who are struggling to reconnect with the Force. To determine just exactly what is right and what is wrong. The Council never told anyone about the destined Lost Jedi. We need to find them and bring them here. They are spread amongst the Galaxy, some more hidden then others. We must find the rest of the leaders and dispose of them, then, as they are leaderless, the rest of the Padawan’s, and Knights will foresee that we are not going to be stopped, and will come and join us. It is inevitable.”

Bastila nodded and smiled. And not only towards the aspect of cleansing the Galaxy of the Jedi, but towards one day of having her own son, or daughter, becoming her apprentice to someday take the throne and reign as the Dark Lord.

A new era had begun.

To quote Darth Vader: "Impressive, most impressive."

I like the start you have here BFA. I look forward to reading more. I've never played the dark side ending to KOTOR (call me a goody two shoes I guess) so I always like to read stories people write about what might have happened.

I'm currently replaying Knights of the Old Republic (light side, I don't play the dark side often), but like JediAthos, I've always liked fan fics that follow on from the dark side ending.

Another good fan fic, Mr_BFA and I like the start you have here. Revan is truly evil and his planned conquest of the galaxy is going to be interesting to read too. Looking forward to more.

I'm currently replaying Knights of the Old Republic (light side, I don't play the dark side often), but like JediAthos, I've always liked fan fics that follow on from the dark side ending.

Same here, even thought I play the game on the lightside most of the time. There just aren't enough good fics that capture the darkside well enough. I hope that this one will.

Great first chapter Mr_BFA! Please do continue. :D

Chapter One: Coming to Pass

Revan stood at the edge of the large podium that sat in front of the valley of the dark lords. The Academy behind him in the near distance.

“Malak is dead!” he listened to Bastila cry out to the battalion of Sith soldiers that occupied the valley. “All hail the new, true Dark Lord of the Sith! All hail, Revan!”

Thousands of cries shouted in chants of, “All hail, Revan! All hail, Revan!”

He smiled proudly to Bastila. The bump in her stomach had grown only a little in the last few months, but he could now tell that she was indeed pregnant with his child.

She turned to face him. “They are yours, my lord.”

Revan stepped forward and cried out, “the Republic is crippled! Its forces no longer pose a threat to us! With the Star Forge we shall reclaim the galaxy in the name of the Sith!”

Thousands of cheers went up into the air, and Revan ignited his lightsaber, smiling down below once more. “To the end,” he whispered to himself.

Carth Onasi leapt behind a giant boulder that sat on the edge of one of the small beaches that lay themselves among Rakata Prime. Several blaster bolts flew over head, some searing the very top of the boulder itself, and nearly his hair.

“Hey, watch it!” he yelled. “I happen to like this haircut!” His hair had grown longer in the past two months that he had been trapped on the planet. Stubble caressed his cheeks and under his chin, and dark circles were under his eyes.

He had not had enough sleep as it was, and ever since more Sith shown up, it had gotten worse. Not to mention the anger that swelled up inside him every time he thought about his pursuers. Led by a man he had once considered his friend.

“Carth!” He heard the voice of Canderous Ordo ring out into the air. “Come out and play, Carth! Why do you keep on attempting to evade us like this?”

“It’s gone alright so far!” yelled back Carth. “And seen as though that’s the case, I’ll continue on taking my chances, thank you!”

“Join us, Carth!” said Canderous. “The Republic is a stagnant beast that is crumbling under its own weight. Soon, it shall fall.”

“How can you do this, Canderous?” asked Carth. “We travelled together for only the Force knows how long for, and yet here you are: intent on killing me if I do not join you.” He considered just for a moment as to what it would be like if he did join the Sith. He could lie, and escape once they get back to Korriban, steal a ship then head to one of the far reaches of the galaxy. But no, that would not work, Revan would be at Korriban, he felt it. And he would be able to distinguish between Carth’s true intentions and his lies.

His thoughts travelled back to Dustil at the Academy. He could not turn him back to the Republic; Revan had made sure of that. In fact, knowing the devil Revan is, he would send Dustil to kill Carth, just for the pleasure of seeing the two fight.

But if he could persuade Dustil to come back to the light then perhaps there may be a chance that the galaxy may be saved! As he made his decision, he threw his blaster back over his head and said, “Fine, I will come quietly. I need to speak to Revan.”

“Oh, you will get your chance,” smiled Canderous. “I’m glad you decided the best option for yourself Carth. I knew you would never be stupid enough to go against Revan. But just as a security precaution.” He pointed his carbine in Carth’s face. “You’re going to be in front of me.” He indicated to the Sith soldier next to him. “Slap the stun cuffs on him.”

Carth felt the uncomfortable tingle go through his body as the cuffs were wrapped around his wrists. How do I get myself into these situations? He thought miserably to himself...

Carth sat quietly in the passenger bay area in the Sith transport vessel. He was not sure as to how long they had been travelling through Hyperspace but he was sure they would have to reach Korriban soon. With each passing moment, his insides squirmed in trepidation. If he would to live past this day, he admitted to himself, even he would be surprised.

Revan was a brilliant teller of character. He could tell when a person was not whom they said to be. But if he could manage to escape before he reached Revan, then just maybe he would be able to get away for good. He bowed his head in shame. How could he have managed to trust again? He knew the effects of betrayal from Saul...

“We are coming up on Korriban, sir,” reported the Sith pilot.

“Good,” replied Canderous. “Now we shall see how strong you are,” he added to Carth.

The ship exited from Hyperspace, and Carth looked through the viewscreen at the giant orange orb that was the planet of Korriban. He did not like it the last time he was here; where Revan had managed to slaughter the entire Academy, and its two leaders. Yuthura and Uthar, he remembered.

Dustil was not there. He must have left before the massacre, or hid whilst it was being ‘cleansed’ (as Revan had put it).

Carth watched as they entered the clouds that were positioning themselves over the academy that continued to grow larger until they landed on the very top of the ancient structure. The sith trooper sitting behind Carth, poked him in the back and said, “Up,”

Carth stood and followed Canderous down the small exiting ramp, and stood upon the roof of the Academy. It was then his heart sank in despair.

Revan was already there, standing with Bastila, a large twi’lek he did not know, and his own son, Dustil.

Revan watched the craft land, and the ramp lower. His feelings toward his old friend remained the same. He liked Carth, and that is why he did not really want to kill him. Hopefully he had thought about his decision wisely before coming here. Revan had his lightsaber pinned to his side just in case.

Canderous came up to him. “As you can see, we were successful in finding and capturing him, Revan. What would you like done with him now?”

Revan aimlessly waved his hand aside, “leave us,” he said. “I wish to speak to Carth alone,”

Canderous nodded, and him and the other troopers, along with Bastila and the twi’lek left. Dustil remained still.

Revan looked at him directly. “Alone,” he repeated.

Dustil hesitated for only a second longer before acknowledging his father, then Revan and walked off. His head hung low.

“He thinks I mean to kill you,” explained Revan as he turned back around to face Carth.

“Is that what you have planned, Revan?” asked Carth.

Revan considered the question for a moment. “If I must,” he said. "It is not what I would like to do however. I admire you Carth. You are wise and strong: A pure soldier in heart; someone who I could use in the conquest to come.”

“The Republic is fine the way it is,” argued Carth. “This is just a stepping stone. It will rebuild itself in time.”

“But how much time do you think we have?” insisted Revan. “Even now, as we speak, small factions are building themselves across the galaxy. They think that they will be strong to overthrow what little the Republic is left and rule for themselves. Imagine then what would happen if they were successful? It would mean anarchy and non-stop war; I ask you this: is that what you want?”

“Of course not-” started Carth

“Well then join me!” said Revan. “I need you Carth! To cleanse this galaxy and make a new one fit for living. Imagine it: a galaxy of peace, far from war and despair. In the rule of the Sith the New Empire would reign for millennia! No more death, no more defeat and tiring battles that will eventually consume every living being in this universe. Join me, Carth! Join me and live the life you have dreamt of ever since you started your service to the Republic! I can promise you the future they offered you but didn’t fulfil. Join me!”

Carth looked at Revan. He had a point, even though Carth hated to admit it. The Republic was dying, this he could not ignore. All he ever wanted was to live in a galaxy that was safe enough for his family. And, even now, as he considered his friends proposal, it did not seem as farfetched as what it had been with the Republic.

He thought of Dustil. The very memory of his son’s smiling face was warming to his heart. And to be able to see him starting his own family, and not being harassed by worlds destroyed by war was an inviting thought indeed. But it all came down to what the Sith had done. What they stood for. Carth was not one of them, he could never be.

“I know what you are thinking,” said Revan as he continued to gaze at Carth with his intricate stare. “You think that if you join me, you will be joining the Sith that had been raised and used by Malak. In that, my friend, you are wrong. I am different than the former Sith Master. I kill only those who deserve it, not helpless innocents. I aim to create a filled galaxy of strong hearted men and women who will be able to lead normal lives, but will also not be afraid to stand for what they believe in. It is a kind of galaxy I dreamt of ever since I first discovered the first Star Map on Dantooine.

“I am no meaningless murderer Carth," continued Revan. "I know what you have thought of me ever since we first started on the mission for the Star Forge. I have been ruthless, cunning and sometimes dangerously close to becoming a killer. But back then I was arrogant, untrained and immature. Now I know what needs to be done. I will protect the Empire, I will sustain it, and I will take care of it. This I promise. But I need you. Without your help, and your cunningness for survival and determination to see things through to the end, I doubt I will be able to finish what I strive to do. So I ask you this once again: Will you join me, Carth? Leave the Republic behind and start a new life in the Sith? The new Sith?”

Carth walked to the edge of the Academy and looked over the edge. He could see small tiny dots down below walking in and out of the Academy’s front entrance. Taking a deep breath, but not looking at Revan, he said with a heavy heart, “Yes. I will join you, Revan. But only because I believe that you are different from Malak and the other Sith that have ever been called to this religion. I know that if I refuse, I will be killed. All I want is to have a galaxy that Dustil just may one day have his own family, and not be worried that that day could be their last. Yes, Revan.” He repeated. “I will join you.”

He felt a hand touch his shoulder and he turned to see Revan’s face. “Then so it be done!” he said. He held out a hand and waited for Carth to clasp it, and when he did, Revan said, “to a new and thriving Galaxy!”

The prologue was a bit bumpy, as far as descriptions go. The bit about Revan finding Bastila's spirit and crushing it if she got them killed was a nice touch, but how would the Ebon Hawk take on a large portion of the Republic fleet?:/ Besides that, Bastila might have been more useful using her overrated battle meditation. Silly Bastila.

I'm also a little astounded that there's still enough Sith on Korriban to justify using it as base...iirc, Revan pretty much slaughtered his way through the ranks. Anyone remaining would probably be small fry compared to him.

Revan's speech to Carth is interesting, but perhaps you could give Carth a bigger role, and allow him to attempt to defend the Republic... How it is not based on "might is right", and other Sith principles which are completely at odds with his morals.

It's a good start overall, but could use a good polish!

Edit: I'm also curious as to why you altered Bastila's eye colour. Any particular reason? That particular description could use some smoothening out as well.

I've added little bits here and there in the Prologue to try and make things seem a bit more explanatory and plausible.

All I will say on the subject is Carth is that he is smart, along with secrecy and betrayel are not only elements that belong to the Sith.

Explanations will come in further chapters. Please people, be patient! haha.

I feel that if I put any more into the story at this point, I will be rushing more than what I think I am doing now.

@Bee: They eye colour was a mistake, hehe. Reasonably fixed now however. (Still with added material by me...)

I just want to add as well, that ... As close as this story is going to be towards KOTOR, and KOTOR II, it is NOT, all going to be strictly cannon. Events may be changed, results could be different. I want to add my spin to the story, but I will not stray so far that it would be classified as a Alternate Universe fic.

Just be prepared for small differences :)

Archived