Home

Canyon Workshops: The True Sith...

Ulmont

Dang..... So in other words:

If you want to use Maya, you had better learn C++ and Programing... A.K.A Spend the thousand bucks, because it will be cheaper and faster...

Hey, Is there some way I could make it in GMax, and then send it to be rendered to someone who has 3DS max?

It doesn't take 1337 C++ skills to render a scene, even in Maya. Get a few tutorials for it and see what you can make, shouldn't be too hard.

On the other hand you could just recruit a person who does the rendering thing. That's what a mod team is for right? :)

Also, don't forget the blender idea... its FREE http://www.blender.org

-Doc

I have slow crappy internet

Alas, that makes two of us...

Wait... You said you have 3ds max... Is there any way I could convince you to do this? Hmm... That was the stupidest thing I have ever typed. Of course you can't, your too busy. And your already doing something for me.

Ok, so what if I did the models, sent them to you, and you animated & rendered them?

Well I could give you the list of features but it would likely be too long so I will just direct you to this page http://www.blender.org/features-gallery/features/

Basically it is a huge open source Modelling program, it does just about everything. You can even make your own game on it :). Among the many features are Modelling, Rendering, Rigging, Animating, Physics, Particles, UV Mapping, Shading, Imaging, and a bunch of other fun things. Go check it out :)

-Doc

Well I could give you the list of features but it would likely be too long so I will just direct you to this page http://www.blender.org/features-gallery/features/

Basically it is a huge open source Modelling program, it does just about everything. You can even make your own game on it . Among the many features are Modelling, Rendering, Rigging, Animating, Physics, Particles, UV Mapping, Shading, Imaging, and a bunch of other fun things. Go check it out

-Doc

Doc, remind me to... geeze, what should I do?

Remind me sometime to give you a free cookie. Thank you!!!

Ok, so I guess that half-solves the problem. At least.

Unfortunately, there's a *catch.* The blender won't be able to import models directly from KotOR, but you can export it as a .3ds file, and import it into Blender. Also, the UI is fairly difficult.

Edit: Ulmont, you need to stop double-posting. You can go back and edit your double-posts and delete them before a mod comes along and gets angry...

UV mapping is mapping out how a texture is applied to a model, and yes you can.

Ulmont, bud, if you want to do the important in-game stuff like animations, modelling, and other stuff of that origin it is best to have Gmax or 3dsMax. Now Gmax cannot render, that is correct, but Maya and Blender can render. So you can do your things for your actual in-game models with Gmax, and do your out of game rendering with Maya or Blender.

And if you want to take models from Blender or Maya and put them in Gmax, it is as simple as exporting it from that program to a file that Gmax recognises, and the same applies for going from Gmax to Maya or Blender. It shouldn't be too much of a problem.

-Doc

Thank you, thank you, but are there any pre-made scripts for dialogue cutscenes? Ex: Reven walks into a room, and there are a billion troops fighting.

I'm not exactly sure by what you mean by pre-made scripts, if you mean example scripts, where someone shows you how to script a certain function, then you should check out the Scripting Tutorials section as they have quite a few examples in there. You might also want to look for the TSL Decompiled Scripts, which are online somwhere but I am not sure exactly where.

Those will show you every script in the game, from there you can take a look at them and see how you want to do your scripts. You will still have to ask questions here and there though, not everything can be self taught.

-Doc

Archived