Home

[Fixed] Get KOTOR 1/2 Working on Vista

Astrotoy7

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

i just recently got swkotor2. it runs fine. i implemented the fixes: runs as administrator and compatibility for xp sp2 the required number of times. i fixed mss32 and manually patched. as i said it runs fine and haven't had the game crash yet, but after i finish fighting an enemy, i can't move for some time unless another enemy is nearby or a container.

• 3 weeks later...

I have Vista, 32. I have tried running KOTOR1 in compatibility mode with everything and done the "admin" thing.

I'm at my wit's end honestly. Hope you can help!

With any of those it always says something about an installation support file can't be installed, 'catastrophic failure,' when I try to run Setup.

It's as if Bill Gates doesn't want me to be playing it...

• 1 month later...

I have followed the initial post's directions exactly on three different computers with the same result. The game never starts, with no error message. It just does not start. I know it is doing something. When I open a web browser after trying to start the game, it sizes the page to 800x600 with white pixels filling the rest. Although, all three computers do have Nvidia video chipsets. One was a laptop with vista & separate video memory. One was a desktop running XP SP2 with a stand-alone Geforce 67xx (256MB) card. One was a desktop with an integrated shared memory video card running a fresh copy (but updated) copy of Vista SP2 (2GB system memory).

Should I install a copy of Win XP (without any service packs, or win98) on one of the desktops in a secondary partition, or is this mainly an Nvidia compatibility issue? Or hell, maybe I should just buy buy an old Xbox. However, I do prefer the keyboard & mouse to the controller. Also, I don't need any more clutter.

BTW, I was trying to run KOTOR 1.

With a straight install I got a pop-up error message with garbled ASCII characters on each of the three systems.

I doubt any solutions are available, but I would appreciate any comments.

Also, the only single core system I tried was the desktop with the shared memory video Nvidia chipset (Athlon 64 2.2 GHZ). I could install a stand alone ATI AGP card on this system and then an older operating system... But I'm wondering if it is even worth the time.

For Vista you'll need to uninstall the game and start over following the large-print directions at the top of the second post.

I have no idea why you're having trouble with XP, though, and these games have traditionally run better with nVidia video cards.

yeah, been there, done that. I reinstalled following the directions from post 1 and 2 trying both the original and modified exe files on all three systems... Yeah, nothing works for me. I get mainly... nothing, the game will just not start. I get the occasional garbled text. The only error message I get is on the XP system with the modified exe using physical discs. Then I get a "cannot be authenticated" error. Yes, I do have the old direct x installed.

They must not really want anyone to actually play this game... that is the only reasonable conclusion that I can come to... The only alternative would be that they are very very very very very inept. I will let the company choose which option they would prefer, or offer a third option if they wish.

Well, I got a little frustrated for awhile there. I uninstalled everything and did the whole process all over again... and it works just fine now. I'm not sure why it did not the first time. The vista system works fine. Now that I think about it, I don't believe I have played any games on that xp system since the last time it had a reinstall of windows, so there may have been some unrelated problem with that system as well. I appreciate the info.

Glad to hear it. :)

Regarding XP, you shouldn't need the new swkotor.exe from SecuROM to run the game. The original should work fine. Vista isn't compatible with the earlier versions of SecuROM that shipped with these games, but XP is.

Hello. First time poster on these forums, Long time Star Wars Gamer and I've been having issues getting KOTOR 2 running. It crashes at the beginning after the Ebon Hawk is drifting through space. I've uninstalled it again but before I did I replaced the .dll and modded the .ini files which changed the screen display but nothing else, sadly. What do I need to do exactly (I'm running Windows 7 64 bit). Here's a pic of my complete specs below:

52577d1265491584-my-pc-any-good-proper-stat.png

Republic Commando runs like a dream and Jedi Academy lagged only on Bakura (froze on Korriban only once though) and both multiplayer modes are beauts to run. I just don't know why KOTOR & 2 have to be this way

Did you read the second post? Reinstall the game according to the large-print instructions, do everything that it tells you to and it should run fine.

I hope for your sake you're right (especially since I have an Intel, after all :p).

BTW where do I download the patches?

Also, I couldn't set the affinity the last 2 times due to it preventing me.

Edit: So, where do I get the patches?

Now I was able to access set affinity but even if I leave one CPU active, it STILL does not make a difference.

So, where do I get the patches?

You could try Googling them. :p

EDIT: Links for both are now in Post #2.

Now I was able to access set affinity but even if I leave one CPU active, it STILL does not make a difference.

We'll sort this out once you've patched the game. I'd suggest uninstalling and starting over, this time doing everything that the second post tells you to do, in the order that it tells you to do them.

Once more, and that is it.

Edit: I have done everything you said to do and it still crashes!

Also, some files I couldn't simply extract and I had to go inside the compressed folders to get the files and drag them over to the KOTOR 2 folder (such as the SecuROM and the modifying of the code for prevention of lag while on Dantooine) while saying yes to replace the originals.

Well, I have played to about 95 hours so far. It has crashed about 10 times... which is only once per 10 hours. That should be better than average, for any windows game. It's certaintly better than windows 95, when I had an adverge of less than less than one hour from starting a game to having it crash. I am on unknown worlds and cannot leave. I have repaired the warp drive, but cannot leave. I guess I could wonder around for hours trying to figure it out, but honestly, there are no places that I have not gone and no areas that I have not explored. Honestly 9 or 10 crashes occured while trying to save a game. I reloaded to find unloadable save games. That cost me about 4 hours of having to go back and redo quests.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank You guys so much for making this thread and posting this fix. Ive been wanting to play KoTOR 2 for the longest time on my Vista OS. It didn't take me long and I followed each step carefully and the game worked with audio finally.

Btw, I just wanted to know if adding mods after doing all the steps would affect the game in any way besides what the mods were made for?

Thanks Again

• 2 weeks later...

Right, sorry, couldn't see it because the link was the same color as the text <_<

e: Still no luck though, I'm trying to get my "Best of PC" Kotor 1 to run on my 64 bit multicore Windows 7 PC, and absolutely nothing gets it to start. At worst, I click the .exe, the process appears for a few seconds, then disappears. At best, I can get it to tell me I have 'wrong disc inserted'.

OK, that's most likely a SecuROM (or whatever copy protection Best of PC uses) problem. The .exe that the link is provided for is for the stand-alone version of KotOR, not the "Best of PC". You're going to have to contact SecuROM about it. The link to their site is in the second post.

Archived