Home

darth vader blocking blaster with hand

neal8929

I think that Vader used the force because he only has one hand that had the Mandalorian Gauntlet. but he deflects the shots with his right hand, then on with his left, then force pulls Han's blaster with his right. So if it is his armour, then I would think he only would use his right hand, the one with the Special Gauntlet, then force pull the gun with his left. So I think from the get-go he is just using the force and toying with Han.

Really just shows how bad ass Vader is and that Han really has zero chance of doing anything.

ps- let me know if I have that mandalorian Gauntlet thing wrong, maybe both his hands had gauntlets. I forget.

• 1 month later...

Even in the OT (not considering the prequels at all), Vader's right arm is robotic, we know for a fact. If we take the ROTJ visual "skeleton" glow as some kind of guide, apparently both his hands are robotic (even if his right arm is mostly real). But if you watch the scene frame by frame, he blocks it with both hands, and some of the shots hit his glove and disappear in a puff of smoke/sparks, while others bounce off and hit the walls. Maybe some combination of force and physical blocking?

I don't know about this "Mandalorian gauntlet" thing of course, having washed my hands of the EU stuff long ago (other than the PC games). It appears he's just wearing leather gloves over his robot hands.

I sort of assumed for the longest time it was just that Vader's armor protects him. But then when you consider that the suit appears to be mostly leather (not even the kind of full coverage offered by the "useless" Stormtrooper armor; please note that Vader's shoulder armor deflects a lightsaber blow from Luke in ESB!), I guess you might say it was some kind of Force ability he used (going just by the movies here, since the EU will tell you whatever).

Maybe it's some kind of "energy dampening cloth"? Sci Fi tech does have that sort of thing too... and maybe it's just really expensive, explaining why everyone doesn't cover themselves with it.

I think stylistically it was just meant to show that Vader was more dangerous than the average bad guy, and show why the good guys couldn't just gun him down.

I suppose having it be a "force powered block" would further emphasize that Solo is in over his head (remember, this is the guy who poo-pooed the Jedi and the Force in the previous movie), where his simple, naturalistic, technology-based methods of fighting aren't adequate for this situation. He's dealing with the Dark Lord of the Sith, now.

I agree. I've pretty much learned to ignore the EU retcons that conveniently explain everything away, usually in the stupidest fashion imaginable, and are therefore essentially BS, IMO.

I came to the conclusion that he was using the Force a long time ago for the very reason that you just stated. In the first film, we see how Han gets out of a compromising position by shooting first, but this is Han's first encounter with an enemy Force-user in the films and he and the audience get a demonstration of just how useless his methods really are against one when he tries the same thing against Vader.

This is just one example of how the idiotic revisionism on the part of Lucasfilm and the EU is compromising and even destroying the integrity of the OT.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Damn straight!!!!

I go with his hand. It didn't reflect and fly somewhere else, did it?

I can't remember and I really can't be bothered in watching the movie just for that....

i don't remenber that happening either...? i think it was a mechanichle device. i mean, if he used the force it would have hit somewhere else.

plus, negate energy wasn't even thought up untill after the movie was made

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I always thought he was using the force, but who knows until Lucas says one way or the other. And even then, that would open up a whole can of worms and people still wouldn't agree. At any rate, it's one of my favorite moments in the OT.

Then again Vader's suit was heavily armored, he was able to take that hit on the shoulder from Luke's lightsaber, so maybe his armor was able to deflect blaster shots.

Archived