Home

Large Website Update

DarkStarMojo

Amazing work, dude!

I must say that, as far as the first-person shooter aspect of the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series goes (excluding all Force powers and lightsaber combat), Dark Forces Mod the more enjoyable than any of the others. You can definitely tell that the creators (you guys) are dedicated fans. It just evokes a certain feeling that the others do not; and it feels more like a more recent game (about on par with Doom 3) than a Quake 3-engine game from 2003.

Nicely done, guys! You have my full support and admiration.

Amazing work, dude!

I must say that, as far as the first-person shooter aspect of the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series goes (excluding all Force powers and lightsaber combat), Dark Forces Mod the more enjoyable than any of the others. You can definitely tell that the creators (you guys) are dedicated fans.

Yep. That's why this project has survived as long as it has. That and the community of fans that, like yourself, keep supporting us with their interest and input. It's greatly valued and appreciated.

For me, Dark Forces holds a special place over just about any other shooter out there (except for Jedi Knight which would be about on par, if only slightly less) because it was the first FPS I ever played and pretty much started my whole affair with the genre (I rarely play any non FPS games). So I have a certain dedication to wanting to see the project through to the end, even if I'm the only person who ever works on it anymore. Plus, it's a great thing to have on my resume if I decide to get into professional game design one day. ;)

It just evokes a certain feeling that the others do not; and it feels more like a more recent game (about on par with Doom 3) than a Quake 3-engine game from 2003.

Nicely done, guys! You have my full support and admiration.

Thanks for the kind words, dude.

I've never felt we were on par with Doom 3 in terms of graphics, although I could see where you're coming from if you're talking about level design. That's one of the biggest reasons I'm so intent on rebuilding the detention center (and to a lesser degree, a good portion of testbase). I never felt the first version was all that well designed architecturally or really captured the tone of the original level. I think this version goes a long way toward correcting that.

just wanted to give you a compliment on the website. Good it's finally in your hands.

Good luck with the mod, too :) Also, be on irc more =)

edit: actually wanted to mention that since starting the motsmod, I've been starting to play MOTS again dialy. I think I know what you mean with the feeling.. actually, it has gotten me to try the dfmod as well =)

just wanted to give you a compliment on the website. Good it's finally in your hands.

Good luck with the mod, too :) Also, be on irc more =)

edit: actually wanted to mention that since starting the motsmod, I've been starting to play MOTS again dialy. I think I know what you mean with the feeling.. actually, it has gotten me to try the dfmod as well =)

I went through the whole process of setting up DOSBox just so I could run DF since Vista won't let me run it natively. I actually want to play it a lot more than the newer games I have right now (except JA for testing DFMod).

Heh. Sorry about irc. I've been on a few times but it's been at generally irregular hours due to school and I haven't seen anybody else on so I haven't been too active. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. I'll have to check with Shamus, see if I can't sort out any problems I might be having. I probably wouldn't add too much to the conversations anyway, since I've decided to pretty much cut out all my other mod projects until DFMod and this semester of school is finished.

Well, you're not missing out on vital stuff, of course, but we do sometimes have interesting discussions there. Although the actual star wars geekdom is more Shamus's and Hhunter's cup of tea, it's pretty useful sometimes with discussion about map making, storylines, and some general lucasarts bashing, of course :p

You don't have to feel obliged,to come, but just stop by if you want to/have some free time.(I do the same, shamus seems to be on much much more..)

Although the actual star wars geekdom is more Shamus's and Hhunter's cup of tea

So I'm a geek now am I:lol:

DSM nice job with the updates. Also i should have an updated beta for you to run through by the end of this week. Let me know if you need anything else from me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Thanks, Jennaida. We do appreciate that. I think you will like what you see once this is done. A lot of nice surprises will be in store for you on this one.

Well, I've played the six level demo, anyway, that certainly was good. :)

The progress bar on the right column of the front page should be adjusted though, if the progress page is right, it's half done rather than 35% done at this point. Great to be seeing :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully those weren't April Fool's jokes!

Well, I see it's now approaching the middle of April, and the last update said we'd be seeing some work done this month.

I had feared the project was "dead." I've been busy myself I admit, and haven't spent much time on these forums due to grad school. Still, I hope this project continues, you guys are SO CLOSE TO FINISHING!

Though what I really want to see is a "Multiplayer" Dark Forces Mod. That'd be sweet... even if it's just Deathmatching through the released levels with the DF weapons/items.

Hopefully those weren't April Fool's jokes!

Well, I see it's now approaching the middle of April, and the last update said we'd be seeing some work done this month.

I had feared the project was "dead." I've been busy myself I admit, and haven't spent much time on these forums due to grad school. Still, I hope this project continues, you guys are SO CLOSE TO FINISHING!

Though what I really want to see is a "Multiplayer" Dark Forces Mod. That'd be sweet... even if it's just Deathmatching through the released levels with the DF weapons/items.

The project is continuing, no doubt about it. I haven't planned and don't foresee planning any April Fool's jokes so you can rest assured everything you read on the updates page is the truth at the time it's posted (that is, if plans change, we will post those changes on the updates page).

I've simply been too busy finish my senior thesis project to complete any new work until now. There will be a Ramses Hed gallery coming before the end of the month and I've picked up where I left off on detention center, which is moving along smoothly. It's been a bit slow getting back into the swing of things, especially since I still have classes to finish projects for, but the semester is over in another four weeks so I'm hoping it won't be long before there are some more substantial updates.

Btw, for those who are interested (or those who don't believe me) you can check out my senior project here:

http://legend-of-blackout.deviantart.com/gallery/

It's the first seventeen illustrations (minus the goth chick).

THAT was deliberate. The April Fool's joke was that people would think it was an April Fool's joke when it really wasn't. I know that sounds rather convoluted but I figured that by now people would have been aware that the MOD really is continuing and at the time I thought I'd have a bit of fun (best not to take things like this too seriously, I always say). At any rate, I haven't planned any future April Fool's jokes. At this point I'm more interested in getting the job done and doing it right.

@Forceboat: Thanks, bud. It was A LOT of work but it's been worth it so far.

Archived