Home

Model Help!

Trench

Greetings, I am one of the newer modelers here and I have a small problem with my models. I am able to export my armor models successfully but when I try to use MDLOps to convert it from an ascii file back to the binary it gives me some error message that I will post when I find it.

Details:

I am using Gmax

The models I make are usually multiple different models that I have edited and combined.

I do not have 3DS max and am unable to work with .3ds files.

I believe the error may have something to do with the export process.

MDLOps asks to read from the .MDX file even though my export is supposed to be a readable ascii format file.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ouch! I guess I'll stick with weapons and masks.

Edit- Would it be possible to edit/add-on to, head models or is that a no-go as well? The reason I ask is that I am planning on making a female (and possibly male) Togruta. Like Ahsoka Tano from the Clone Wars, or Shaak Ti from the force unleashed.

Adding extra things has been done before, though its a more difficult task to do good with out errors.

First I'll link you to this thread, on one of the last pages I've summed up in short the steps to follow on adding extra 3D to a Male head.

LINK

It involves some Hex editing: Look for Hex explorer on google, it has a freeware version or its free all together, can't rememeber anymore :p

Anyway, you'll need it to edit the code of the 3D model.

IIRC Vosh told me females where being a pest ( like always :lol: ) not accepting the edits properly.

So far this technique has only be used on heads, no idea if this would work to on body models.

If you are editing body models you can't add anything to the model, just move vertexes arround. As for exporting the model, you can't use mdlops for body models due to bugs, you need to use the replacer found here

Hope this helps!

~Canderis

If the is a full body (body and head) yes, you cant do too much and you need to use replacer.

For single body (robes, armors, cloth) you can more and mdlops work just fine. You can add/remove polys but you need to be carefull to verticles weight. Example of body model where I added, detacheed, deleteed, welded polys and at the end redone uvw-map in order to get that I want:0007.jpg

However, if you plan to modify a body you need to have in same folder the edited asci model named modelname-ascii.mdl and the original binary model modelname.mdl and modelanme.mdx.

For Kotor1 are 1 body only model for cloth and 1 for naked body. The head is stored in separate files. Both are easy to edit.

For Kotor 2 helmed mandalorian is a full body and head model but you have nothing to worry about since the head doesn't fave face animation so you cand do alot of edit on that.

More info about how to set a proper verticles weight you will find in this thread

Archived