Home

Adding a scar

Gob

Alright, so I've made an Anakin Skywalker model out of PMHC04. Now, I just need to add that scar, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it. I did a search and found a thread asking the same question, which led me to oldflash's Seven of Nine project (http://oldflash.bravehost.com/7of9/) I think he did that in 3dsMax, but I have Gmax. I tried to follow the tutorial until I got to the part about flipping the UV map. But it won't duplicate the UV map, only flip the one that's already there. Can anyone help me out with adding the scar?

Depending on how you want to do the scar, this can end up to be fairly simple or tedious. If you just want the scar to show up on the model, you will just have to modify the texture file in order to display a scar. If, however, if you want to give the scar some depth, consider modifying the head file in gmax or 3dsmax to give the scar a little "bump", or raised a bit away from the face. After that's done, you will also have to modify the head's texture to accomodate the shape change. There should be tutorials in the tutorials section of Holowan labs (the top of the page) that will guide you through both of these processes.

If I just skinned on the scar, it would appear on both sides of the face because of the way head models are UV mapped. I'm trying to figure out how to UV map the model so that the scar only appear on one side of the face.

EDIT: I thought that as long as I'm making this thread, and since I don't know when I'll get an answer to my question, I'll just make this a WIP thread. Here's a picture of the model still in Gmax. I haven't put it in game since I still have a lot of skinning and some straightening out with the model, but I think I've made some progress... Though I kind of feel that I screwed up in some way. Anyway, here you go.

watchmensmiley721545.jpg

Obviously, I still have some work to do, but considering this is the first model I've ever made, I think I've done fairly well. Comments? Also, can a mod change the name of this thread to "[WIP] [K1] Anakin Skywalker PC Head?" Thanks.

Good job! I can't model for the life of me =) I'm sorry, I didn't realize that the textures wrapped in a way that would duplicate the scar. There are some of the models in TSL that sport a scar on one side of the face. Moderators, would it be legal/okay to post the texture in question here so that he can know how to apply the scar to his texture?

Good job! I can't model for the life of me =) I'm sorry, I didn't realize that the textures wrapped in a way that would duplicate the scar. There are some of the models in TSL that sport a scar on one side of the face. Moderators, would it be legal/okay to post the texture in question here so that he can know how to apply the scar to his texture?

Thanks! Well, there's also a head in K1 with a scar (The first white head), but the problem is that in modeling, you have to UV map models. Basically, UV mapping is mapping out the parts of a model so that you can skin it... if that makes sense. The modelers who designed the heads in the game were intelligently lazy, so they just UV mapped one side of the face and just mirrored it to make it easier for them. What I'm trying to do it UV map the model so that I can skin both sides of the face in Photoshop.

So UV mapping is kind of like making a flat map of the globe? That makes sense. In that case, if you UV map the head so both sides are in the texture, will that affect how KOTOR wraps the texture around the model (planar, cylindrical, etc.), or will KOTOR know what to do with your new texture? Keep that in mind when you're making your texture; there might be a thread or two around here that will address how KOTOR wraps textures.

I've wrote a sort of tutorial about UVWmapping, but its for 3Ds Max not Gmax.

As the basice version of Gmax doesn't have well developped UVWmap tools.

Though DarthParametic knows some links to some good plugins for Gmax on this matter.

Since the model is infact already mapped you would just need to select the one half of the face and mirror it. Ofcourse you would need to redo the layout of the skin.

Anyway I'll have to look about to find these links of DP.

I've wrote a sort of tutorial about UVWmapping, but its for 3Ds Max not Gmax.

As the basice version of Gmax doesn't have well developped UVWmap tools.

Though DarthParametic knows some links to some good plugins for Gmax on this matter.

Since the model is infact already mapped you would just need to select the one half of the face and mirror it. Ofcourse you would need to redo the layout of the skin.

Anyway I'll have to look about to find these links of DP.

By any chance, is DP's post in this thread the one you're talking about? It looks like it.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=195826&highlight=gmax

EDIT: Here's another slightly updated picture. I tweaked the hair some, and hid all the distracting helpers. I think it'll look more like him when I skin it, though he does look like his Clone Wars incarnation.

watchmensmiley721545u.jpg

Since I couldn't figure out how to do the scar thing in Gmax, I just downloaded the 3ds Max trial. But now I can't figure out how to import the model into Max. I've got the .mdl file, so what do I do with it?

From Gmax, you can go to File -> Export... to export your model as a plasma (.p3d) file. I think 3dsmax will accept that, but double check. You can also look for gmax plugins that export files as 3ds files.

It doesn't support .p3d unfortunately, but right now I'm trying to find that 3ds plugin. Hopefully it'll come up soon.

EDIT: I didn't find the plugin, but I did manage to save it as an .obj file, which 3ds is supposed to support. When I try to import it, though, it comes up with an error: "invalid vertex index." If anyone who happens to be reading this knows what the problem is, please pitch in.

OK, I got the model into 3ds Max (Sort of...) But I'm experiencing the exact same problem I had in Gmax: When I flip the model, it does exactly that; it doesn't duplicate to cover both sides of the face. It's hard to explain, so here are some screenshots to explain. This is using the Seven of Nine tutorial, which there's a link to in the first post.

50976959.jpg

I clicked the button, and...

watchmensmiley721545.jpg

So how come when he flips it in the tutorial, it actually duplicates the face map, but when I do it, it just flips it?

If you just selected all the face uv faces in that window, than you are selecting the entire face map, and you are just flipping the whole to the other side. An easy way that I found while giving another head a scar was to select the entire face map in the UV Map window, go back into my main view, then deselect (Alt+Click IIRC) the half of the face you don't want to affect.

If you just selected all the face uv faces in that window, than you are selecting the entire face map, and you are just flipping the whole to the other side. An easy way that I found while giving another head a scar was to select the entire face map in the UV Map window, go back into my main view, then deselect (Alt+Click IIRC) the half of the face you don't want to affect.

Man, that actually helps a lot. Now I know how to do the UV mapping. As soon as I can get the most recent version of NWmax for 3ds and get the model into Max properly, I can finally finish this thing.

It is done... The model and skin, anyway. I have one last problem, though. When I compile the model and put it in-game, the new model and skin show up, but it retains the old UV map, so the new skin shows up using the old UV map, and looks distorted. How do I get it so that it uses the new UV map?

Taina's Replacer. One of the most widely used modding tools around (not counting the KTool and TSLPatcher of course :D)

That's what I've been using... I thought he was talking about changing the settings, or something. I've been trying it with all boxes checked, as well only checking the boxes of the ones I edited. It's not doing anything with the new UV map, though.

Archived