Home

Windows XP Logon Customisation

Well, I haven't posted over here in a while. For once, I don't have a problem either! :D

What I do have though, is a question. I'm still running Windows XP Pro, (hopefully switching to Windows 7 when I get the cash to build me a new machine) and instead of the welcome screen log on, I use the mode where you have to enter your username and password. Like this:

Windows_XP_ctrl_alt_delete_logon.jpg

Now, that dialog box has the 'luna style' border. I use a custom theme for my windows, (as well as XPize Darkside, which makes the blue surrounding the Windows XP logo in that picture dark.) and I want to change the 'theme' of that dialog box to match my custom theme. (SlanXP 2.0 if you're interested). Is there any way I can do this?

Cheers,

~M

Back in the day it was definitely one of the trickier things theme modders had to deal with. I'll have a dig around and ask the theme-skinning fans I know about it ;)

I have been contemplating a new logon background for Vista and W7. The default Vista one is tiring to look it, and the W7 is very florally. I just want something that is plain and mainly black. I would be bothered even if it was just a blank black background. I'll get around to it when I get my hands on RTM

Edit: Whilst rummaging around for Vista logon info I found this for XP ;) If you haven't done so yet, give it a try. 'Tis free ;) Themes are over at wincustomise

Stardock Logon Studio XP

mtfbwya

As far as I can tell, that only customizes the welcome screen, which i'm not using. I'll try and show you what i'm after.

If you look here: Windows_XP_ctrl_alt_delete_logon.jpg

The window has a 'luna' style boarder from the default XP visual theme.

What I want is to alter it to match the custom theme i'm using.

So if you look at this picture, I want to change it from the style on the left, to the one on the right:

logon.jpg

I just want something that is plain and mainly black. I would be bothered even if it was just a blank black background.

Ah, you're a fan of dark themes too, eh? :p

Ah, you're a fan of dark themes too, eh? :p

Not hugely. My epilepsy prevents me from looking at anything too bright or glaring without getting a headache :thmbup1:

As for your skin quest, it seems most theme modders have no interest in the old school login. Is switching to the welcome screen a no-no? - theres some very pretty custom ones out there.

mtfbwya

I've already got a Welcome Screen Skin installed, it came with XPize Darkside when I installed that. It's dark, so it fits with everything else, I just prefer the 'old school' login for some reason.

Ah well, if there's no way to do it, I suppose i'll either have to stick with how it is ir just use the welcome screen.

Cheers. :)

I've already got a Welcome Screen Skin installed, it came with XPize Darkside when I installed that. It's dark, so it fits with everything else, I just prefer the 'old school' login for some reason.

Ah well, if there's no way to do it, I suppose i'll either have to stick with how it is ir just use the welcome screen.

Cheers. :)

It just depends on how much effort you are willing to put in Marius! You could get your hands on a resource hacker like restorator, open up the theme .dll. find the constituent images and tweak them. I do this with the windows media center skins. Its pretty easy once you get the hang of it, but a bit time consuming.

mtfbwya

An ominous question.

I, too, dislike the royal blue of vanilla XP. It's hideous. I switched to a graphite-based theme called Royal Noir a couple of years ago and never looked back. It's way easier on the eyes.

I've tried Royale Noir too. It's a pretty nice theme. My theme of choice is definitely SlanXP 2.0 though. It's very easy on the eyes, especially with a bright LCD monitor.

Also, on my desktop, I have XPize Darkside installed too. Don't know if you've heard of it or not. It changes different things on your system which really go nicely with a dark theme. The wizard things for example:

desktop.png

Well worth a look. :)

Archived