Home

Some questions

Lord of Hunger

Hello! I have recently managed to get KTool to work and have begun modding in addition to more normal storyline consultant work.

My first mod that I am attempting to make is a Recruitment Mod for K1. The NPC in question is a custom made Sith Lord (named Avenian from my fan fic). I want him to have a semi-unique appearance (a partial reskin of the Sith Apprentice).

My first question is this: Is the N_SithAppren.mdx file the model for both the head and the body of the Sith Apprentice? I am running under the assumption that it is so, so I have the following files:

N_avenian.mdx - the renamed N_SithAppren.mdx.

N_avenian.tga - the renamed armor skin

N_avenianH.tga - the head skin

N_avenian.utc - the NPC itself

I found that this involves editing the appearance.2da and heads.2da. I added the proper rows and edited the proper fields, but I am concerned about compatibility.

My second question is this: If your appearance.2da and heads.2da rows are the same as someone else's mod, will this result in an incompatibility? If so, does the TSLPatcher resolve this problem or do you have to create a row that happens to be completely different from everyone else's?

I did read some of the tutorials, and while they did help with some of the basics they did not explain this aspect to me. [KISSUP]I'm hoping one of you awesome elite modders can help me with this.[/KISSUP] ;) If I can create the unique NPC, I will be able to use the tutorial to make it recruitable.

Thank you in advance to whoever helps me out. :thmbup1:

My first question is this: Is the N_SithAppren.mdx file the model for both the head and the body of the Sith Apprentice? I am running under the assumption that it is so, so I have the following files:

IIRC it is, however there are mods out there that have turned it into a seperate texture, RedHawke uses the armour for Canderous in one of his mods.

I found that this involves editing the appearance.2da and heads.2da. I added the proper rows and edited the proper fields, but I am concerned about compatibility.

If you use TSLpatcher then this isn't a problem.

My second question is this: If your appearance.2da and heads.2da rows are the same as someone else's mod, will this result in an incompatibility? If so, does the TSLPatcher resolve this problem or do you have to create a row that happens to be completely different from everyone else's?

TSLpatcher, just adds new rows, so if a whole load of other mods are installed it just adds another row ontop of the already edited appearance.2da

So for example if there are 555 rows in Appearance.2da, it will add row 556, and if there are 512 rows in appearance.2da then it will add row 513 etc

My first question is this: Is the N_SithAppren.mdx file the model for both the head and the body of the Sith Apprentice?

the mdx file contains info needed for it to work if you want to remodel it of if you rename it to something more unique for your mod. If you want, you don't even need to extract the mdx file. (or the mdl file) But since you've renamed the .mdx, you'll have to extract and rename the .mdl file as well.

I am running under the assumption that it is so, so I have the following files:

N_avenian.mdx - the renamed N_SithAppren.mdx.

N_avenian.tga - the renamed armor skin

N_avenianH.tga - the head skin

N_avenian.utc - the NPC itself

Aside from the missing .mdl file, you've got it right so far... just remember to follow the tutorials carefully.

Yes, if you add a head mod, it adds rows to your appearance, heads, and portraits. If you added a second head mod, 1 of the 2da's (its been a while since I messed around with this, so I can't remember) has a column that tells the game to look for this head texture. Its like this:

TSLPatcher adds Row 1 to appearance, heads, and portraits.2da with the first head mod. Appearance's Row 1 (IIRC) points to Row 1 in Heads.2da. Then you add a second head mod. Adds row 2 to the 2da files. Row 2 points to Row 1 in heads.

The only way you can make mods compatible is after you install it. You'd have to edit the new rows in appearance.2da to point towards the correct row in heads.

Thanks so much guys!

However, the response to question 2 gave me another question:

If the TSLPatcher adds another row to the appearance.2da with the necessary information, how will the utc file know which one to refer to?

There's a function in the TSLPatcher that allows you to modify a .utc once it's been installed. Basically, you use that function to modify the .utc's appearance to the one you want. :)

Archived