Home

Alternate history: U.S.A. vs. France

Ping

(Just something that came into my head the other day ;). Here's the prologue. First chapter should come soon.)

In 1798, the French Revolutionary Wars was in full force, and the effects of it had rippled across the Atlantic Ocean to the newly formed United States of America. Historically, an undeclared naval war, a "Quasi-War", had happened between the two nations in the same year. But what if the "Quasi-War" had turned out to be a full fledged war? What if the U.S.A. entered the French Revolution against the armies of Napolean? As our story begins, a young American man marches with his comrades-in-arms, preparing to besiege the French-held city of New Orleans...

I confess I know very little about the Quasi-War, but...

In 1798...

What if the U.S.A. entered the French Revolution against the armies of Napolean?

I don't know how much you know about Napoleon, or the period in general (Although, I guess you wouldn't be writing about the Quasi-War if you had no interest in the time), but I figured i'd share some of what I know with you.

In 1798, General Bonaparte's star was rising, and fast. Napoleon had led his Army of Italy against the Austrian army, and gained several important victories (Arcole being the most notable), and eventually forced the Austrians to relinquish control of most of Northern Italy.

All the while, he was gaining a political reputation in addition to a military one. He would later support Barras' 18 Fructidor coup which would purge most of the royalists from french politics.

After this, and successful negotiations with the Austrians, he returned to France, where he would meet Talleyrand (who, as foreign minister, was a pretty important figure in French politics, and very important in the negotiations of the Quasi-War).

In 1798, Napoleon postponed a plan to invade Britain, instead creating a plan to create French presence in the Middle-East, with a further goal of threatening British dominance in India. In May (two months before the start of the Quasi-War) Napoleon left for Egypt, but would be trapped there until 1799 due to the Royal Navy's dominance of the Mediterranean Sea.

After that, he would overthrow the Directory, becoming First Consul of France, and would eventually direct the Republic to sign the Convention of 1800, which ended the hostilities between the USA and France. But I bet you already knew that part. :p

I'm very interested to see this. I've written a few historical fictions myself, and read quite a few, so more is always welcome. I'm curious to see whether Britain would become involved, as they were at war with France pretty much continuously between 1796 and 1815 (with a notable lull during Napoleon's exile on Elba, of course), or whether they would leave America to it's fate (which I wouldn't think so, as a French-held US would be a definite threat to Canada).

Anyways, I apologise for the long post, and I apologise again if i'm just telling you stuff you already know, but this looks like it could be great. :p

@Astor Kaine: I will admit that even though I've done my research, I didn't know some of the stuff you've told me. And Britain will be involved this fic, but a French-held America will not (that's not to say that the U.S. will win every battle though ;)). Chapter 1 should be coming soon.

@Astor Kaine: I will admit that even though I've done my research, I didn't know some of the stuff you've told me. And Britain will be involved this fic, but a French-held America will not (that's not to say that the U.S. will win every battle though ;)). Chapter 1 should be coming soon.

An America occupied by the French would have been impossible due to the sheer size. America at this time was only the part east of the Mississippi which is still a landmass larger than all of continental europe. While the French had the best army of that day, they would have been facing frontiersmen armed with rifles as the British had; themselves armed with only smoothbore muskets. America had won their war with England primarily because of the sheer expense involved in moving troops from Europe to the new world. The backers of our revolution, the Prussian City States, French and Poles sent us advisors and arms rather than armies. What might have happened technology wise is that the two arsenals, one at Springfield would have begun making rifled arms that much earlier, weighing the edge even more heavily in the US's favor.

Archived