Home

So what do you knuckle heads know about camcorders?

Darth Groovy

So I am coming up on yet another birthday soon, and I found out what I want.

I been a film buff for quite some time, and I have always wanted my own video camera since I was in like...grade school. Now days, there is no longer a need for video tapes, or film. Just film it and download it...I LOVE technology!

So to make a long story short, a guy at work is selling this camcorder + storage bag for $100.

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-Everio-GZMG130-Camcorder-Optical/dp/B000MAFS7S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1268904353&sr=8-1

Here is a close up:

41HNsbTYVbL._AA300_.jpg

Attached is an actual image of the product in question:

It's an older model, but all customer reviews seem to claim that it is pretty easy to use. I am no Peter Jackson, I just want this for my trips, and maybe for making some good gag reels to put up on youtube.

This is basically me picking out my own birthday present this year. I am getting sick of bath towels and nick knacks. What do you guys think? None of you on here have ever steered me wrong when it comes to gadgets. :)

609121453_JVCGZ-MG130.thumb.jpg.55f3357ddc07b05dc2e2a851f12d4143.jpg

Yes, quite easy to use I would agree. Well, just make sure you have the necessary adapters/machines to make the tapes digital for DVD. Actually my dad and a few of his neighbors have similar cameras. Not too bad actually--wise choice.

Tech gadgets you want? I might be able to help.

I think Best Buy has a spring clean-out coming up soon for their winter inventory so if you have been eying up their camera stuff or other, do take a look. Lately I haven't been too happy with them, though. However, I expect you're tech savvy guy and won't be taken so easily, either.

If you like Green laser pointers, they are cheaper than they ever have been right now at Fry's electronics ($40). In fact, since I went to Fry's in person I can't get over the incredible selection they have. Must see at least once in person. Just a caution, I hear they aren't so kind about returns and do be wary about marked down items. Otherwise there is always online. http://www.frys.com/

In various places IRL you might find those miniature battery powered plasma globes. There are similar USB powered ones available at thinkgeek right now.

Thinkgeek always has awesome stuff.

Most relevant would be digital picture frames. Personally I'd go with the one that prints photos. And there's also just other goodies like:

Trekkie plate switch covers, cocktail chemistry set for booze, pocket emulator systems, new generation of FX lightsabers, even some awesome shirts. Hard to go wrong with thinkgeek, really.

Best of luck.

The knuckle head who was going to sell me this camcorder informed me via text early yesterday evening that he in fact sold this item on ebay...:¬: The prick...

Yes, Groovy is both sad and mad. I will never find a deal like that again. Never the less, I don't really want to give up on the camcorder thing, I just think I need to look someplace else. Any suggestions on brands and models? Like I said before this camcorder is for recreational purposes, I am not trying to make a movie for the Cannes film festival or anything...

I like the Flip: http://www.theflip.com/en-us/Products/mino.aspx The model I have used is the Mino HD, never used the Ultra so I don't really know the difference. But it shoots 720p video and has an easy to use program that saves your files as mp4. The only complaints you hear about it are the screen size which is quite small, there is no snapshot feature on the actual cam (you can take screenshots of your video once you get it on the computer obviously), and I have heard people say that their videos look shaky, but I didn't notice this. All my E3 videos on my youtube account were shot with this to give you an idea of the quality: http://www.youtube.com/slaaneshprince

This is a surprisingly well working camera.

I initially had my doubts, but when we went on our World Tour promotion (JTV, where I work) one of our co-workers had brought one and we shot a lot of broll footage of Tucson, Bangkok and Hong Kong. The quality was good enough we used much of it for our on-air promotions, and small enough (mp4) where we could upload it to our FTP servers and have the footage on air the next day. Much better/faster than sending tapes via FedEx ;)

I'm sending one with our crew when they go to Tanzania in the next few weeks and I'm looking forward to see how it turns out.

Granted we don't use it every day, but for what you want to use it for Groovy it will give much more than you bargained for, and then some. :)

@ Groovy: Well, you already had your eyes on one of the brands I would suggest second or third, so...

Sony or Panasonic (those are the ones I have seen most of with the least problems).

Sylvania brand makes good quality cameras (and many other things) but do expect to pay a lot.

Now while you're after camcorders, If you're looking for other, just plain cameras, might I suggest you pop your head into Costco (if possible)? I use a Nikon Coolpix S210 with a 3X optical zoom, as well as a slightly older Kodak model.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived